Thread: WOT AFR Tuning...am I too rich?

Question WOT AFR Tuning...am I too rich?

I am a fairly new tuner. I tune with Wideband and have an almost perfect looking VE table that looks hand smoothed. I have also dialed in MAF with Wideband. I am running a 5.3 L33 with CheaTR v3 cam in a truck. I went to track with an AFR curve around .85 Lambda ( I tune lambada so .85 = 12.5:1 Gas or 12.0:1 E-10). I though this was safe on the rich side. Everyone says these engines run best from 12.8 - 13.1 AFR. I assume they mean on straight gasoline. I run E-10 93 Octane and pull 27-29 deg timing at WOT with no KR. My stoich is set for 14.12 for E-10. What I noticed at the track is that the richer I moved AFR the quicker my times and the leaner I ran the times got worse. I shaved .3 of ET going from .85 Lambda to .807 Lambda(=11.4:1 E-10 or 11.9 gasoline) I would think this is too rich so does this sound correct or did I badly mess up my AFR tuning? I can't deny the better times.

I reach peak torque from from 5200rpm-5600rpm with cam according to my dialed-in VE tables. Should I lean out a few points after peak torque from .807 lambda to 6500rpm? Don't have a dyno close by, but will go back to the track soon and would like some advice.

The truck pulls much harder from a dig and burns more rubber with the richer .807 lambda AFR on E-10.

I say give it what makes it fastest! Did you try going the other way? Maybe take it up to 12.7 or 12.8 to compare?