Thread: Latest Beta version announcement thread?

Advanced Tuner

Latest Beta version announcement thread?

Is there any way we could get a thread that has the latest beta version number in it? A sticky, a place in Customer Central, or somewhere on the forum?

I'm pretty good at keeping my stuff up to date, but Ive now had to download the latest beta version 3 times in the last 10 days onto 2 different machines. But, I have no idea what version Im actually downloading until I run the installer.

Maybe have a Current, v-1, and v-2 to show the latest and last 2 (public) beta build numbers?

Thoughts?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    1. I usually post the beta link on the customer's page for 8-12 months upon request
    2. We build a new compile virtually on a daily basis and some of those builds have misc. features you'll likely never need to know about and keeping up a change log for all of them would be virtually impossible. For instance in the last 7 days there have been 6 new compiles, most of which had new definition support, some have had new misc tables added to specific operating systems, etc.

To check what version you have you can open the Help-about window as this will tell you exactly what version it is.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    does the link you send out automatically update when you guys compile a new version or is it a static link for the most current one at the time of request?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jassick View Post
    does the link you send out automatically update when you guys compile a new version or is it a static link for the most current one at the time of request?
    Auto Updates

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    1. I usually post the beta link on the customer's page for 8-12 months upon request
    2. We build a new compile virtually on a daily basis and some of those builds have misc. features you'll likely never need to know about and keeping up a change log for all of them would be virtually impossible. For instance in the last 7 days there have been 6 new compiles, most of which had new definition support, some have had new misc tables added to specific operating systems, etc.

To check what version you have you can open the Help-about window as this will tell you exactly what version it is.
    I have the beta link, no issues there.

I know what version I have, I have no way to know what version is the latest from HPT.

I understand there are numerous builds happening now, maybe every Sunday night post the latest version #?

Quote Originally Posted by jassick View Post
    It updates, the builds have the same name. Ive downloaded the 3 in the last weekish using the same beta link in Customer Central.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...

Tuner in Training
    thanks. that's good to know. you guys are on the ball today.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    I have the beta link, no issues there.

I know what version I have, I have no way to know what version is the latest from HPT.

I understand there are numerous builds happening now, maybe every Sunday night post the latest version #?

It updates, the builds have the same name. Ive downloaded the 3 in the last weekish using the same beta link in Customer Central.
    Or you could just download it every sunday and you'd know what beta version it is

Most people don't need to have the latest and greatest, as it sits I'm pretty maxed out with work, working on sunday's to post up what version number is the newest isn't something I'm willing to do, just know that what was new yesterday likely isn't the newest today and that the newest beta is the only beta available at any given time.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok Ill give up then, a little tougher when it has to be manually done and cant be auto populated/published when the new build is initiated.
    ~Erik~

Senior Tuner
    Ok Ill give up then, a little tougher when it has to be manually done and cant be auto populated/published when the new build is initiated.
    Is it really that tough to update once a week or so from your customer page.

I update every day. Lol.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Beta versions are generally by need ie new definition support, new vin/os support, new tables that were added for a specific reason to a specific operating system.

I don't know about you but, for me, having windows updates every other day is a pain in the ass, besides we aren't going to auto update with beta versions though we have been looking into public version auto updates.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 8850 View Post
    Is it really that tough to update once a week or so from your customer page.
    No its not, but that's not my point at ALL. My point is that the ONLY way to know what version you're getting when you download from customer central is to download and run the installer. Im in the software world, I like knowing what the version is that I'm getting, preferably before downloading.

Re-read my original post, I just wanted a place that listed the latest version number.

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    I update every day. Lol.
    For the guys that tune for customers every day, probably not a bad idea.

Beta versions are generally by need ie new definition support, new vin/os support, new tables that were added for a specific reason to a specific operating system.

I don't know about you but, for me, having windows updates every other day is a pain in the ass, besides we aren't going to auto update with beta versions though we have been looking into public version auto updates.
    I understand, I applaud HPT for releasing new stuff all the time with fixes/new tables/etc. I started this thread with the sole hope there could be a central place with the latest version/build # listed, I never asked for a changelog or feature enhancement which I completely understand would take a lot more time to deal with.

I dont mind Windows auto-updates, I have mine set so once a week it reminds me and I can decide whether to install or not. If it was daily, Id be pulling my hair out.

Getting an auto-updater for the next public release would be a good idea IMHO, really depends on how the .MSI packager you use currently and if it has the capability otherwise it's a little more of a headache. Plus setting up the necessary server(s), etc.
    ~Erik~

Tuner in Training
    You could probably expose that without causing to much headache, i mean there are things like yum, apt, rpm, etc. that allow a version check without wasting resources on pulling down and then finding out. (Obviously *nix kernels but you get the point)
    How does hpt track their changelog internally?

Tuner
    Auto-updater would be cool. I wouldn't care if HPT updated itself daily. What the updates are, I don't care. Just as long as it updates.
    1997 Black Curse SEi, 4th Engine, 2nd trans.
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4.3L
    2002 Chevrolet S-10 LS 5.7L

I update every couple weeks. Friday was 2.23.870 Beta and my windows 8 was stable on it.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil'sC5Vette View Post
    I update every couple weeks. Friday was 2.23.870 Beta and my windows 8 was stable on it.
    Thats really old now actually... Latest is now .889 according to Bill, but I have 884 installed (from mid-last week) on both my W7 and W8 machines with 0 issues.
    ~Erik~

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    latest now is .892

Senior Tuner
    latest now is .892
    LOL and I "believe" 891 came out around 1am this morning? (from what I gather when Chris posted)
    Updated not a couple hours ago when I saw his post and got 891
    That is fast and would be tough to keep up on.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by planethax View Post
    LOL and I "believe" 891 came out around 1am this morning? (from what I gather when Chris posted)
    Updated not a couple hours ago when I saw his post and got 891
    That is fast and would be tough to keep up on.
    Exactly

There are currently 4 hands in the pot so to speak, 2 development engineers that add new tables & new definition support, our head development engineer and our software designer and while our development engineers don't build a new beta directly anytime they update the server with a new def ie full def, fixes or new tables a new compile is automatically built the next morning. Our software designer also makes new builds whether its general bug fixes, new firmware, vin/os pairs, etc. many of these builds are very customer specific so while he might build 30 of these a week 99.9% of our customer base isn't relyant on them. Same with our head engineers builds, they are often for new table requests, custom operating system requests, new vehicle support, etc. rarely something that everyone just NEEDS to download.