Thread: USB requirements

Tuner in Training

USB requirements

I just ordered the standard suite last week, which I assume will come with the USB interface. Since I would like a dedicated laptop for HPT, I pulled an old machine out of my pile which slightly exceeds the minimum requirements.

What I cannot find, however, is information on whether HPT works OK with a USB1.1 interface, or if it requires USB2.0? This laptop is old enough that it came with Win2000 installed. I've loaded a clean install of XP with the latest service packs, and the laptop still seems to perform well, but there's a good chance that the hardware is original-generation USB.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    2.0 is necessary to update the firmware properly.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I'm not sure I follow. Which firmware are you referring to? The MPVI itself, or do you mean the PCM/VCM? My main concern is with updating my PCM. I know USB1.1 is quite a bit slower, and I'm not worried about it taking a few minutes to write changes to the PCM, I'm just trying to clarify if it is not possible to use the older interface for general updates.

Sorry for being a pain about this, but if I cannot perform updates from this old laptop, my only other choice is getting VCM_Suite running on my (newer) linux laptop.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    MPVI itself, our hardware will work with 1.1 but the firmware update process requires 2.0 to complete properly.

Tuner in Training
    Ah ok. So how often do the firmware updates come out? And would I need the updates if the interface already supports the vehicles I intend to work on?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We've had 3 in the last 6 years so they aren't very often. The firmware automatically updates when it finds a new version