Thread: Long write time?

Tuner in Training

Long write time?

Today my friend and I used HPtuners to change the gear ratio to correct the speedo and also took out the speed limiter. It took 15 minutes to load the program into the PCM. It kept going into time out or something like that. I know this can't be right, so what is going on? Thanks for any help.
    2002 SS - Kooks longtubes w/ cats, GMMG cat-back, Moser 12 bolt w/ 3.90's, Spohn suspension, Direct-flo lid, Holley Powershot, smooth bellow 408 motor in the works

Re: Long write time?

What lap top are you using?

Are you using a USB to Serial adapter?

What type of vehicle were you programming?
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners
    What lap top are you using?

Are you using a USB to Serial adapter?

What type of vehicle were you programming?
    My car is a 2002 Camaro SS. I did use a USB to serial adapter and my laptop is a Toshiba 650 mhz Celeron with 196 megs of RAM. The thing is, when we read the PCM, it only took like a minute or so.
    2002 SS - Kooks longtubes w/ cats, GMMG cat-back, Moser 12 bolt w/ 3.90's, Spohn suspension, Direct-flo lid, Holley Powershot, smooth bellow 408 motor in the works

Senior Tuner

What brand/ model# USB to Serial adapter are you using?

Ken

Tuner in Training

Well, first I tried a Mercury PCMCIA serial card model # CB-RS232 and it wouldn't work. So then I tried my friend's USB to RS232 adapter which did work. He bought it off ebay so I don't know if it is any certain brand. It does say it is model # U232-P9. Can you recommend somrthing for me or tell me how I can get the PCMCIA card to work?

What error message does using the PCMCIA card give you?
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training

It says:

"Connect Error
    8015 Could not set com state, there may be one or more invalid communications parameters."

Then I close that window and it says:

"Unable to connect to cable. Verify cable is connected and key is in the Run position. "

And yes the cable is connected and the key is on. Can you shed any light on the USB to RS232 adapter problem?

Tuner in Training

OK. Today we were adjusting the shift points and it took 6 mins. the first time, 10 mins. the second, and after about 20 mins. the third time the program timed out and disconnected. So my car had no program in it. > I was a little pissed to say the least. We had to push the car into my friends garage and I tried his desktop in there because it had serial ports on it. It worked fine, about 45 seconds to load. Can you please help me with my laptop problem? ???

Senior Tuner

Unfortunately not all USB devices are created equal.
    I did a search for the one you mentioned and came up with this:
    http://www.mct.com.tw/prod/rs232.html

We use a PCMCIA model made by http://www.socketcom.com/

There were other models that people have reported no troubles with. The search link on our site will show all the threads for this.

Ken

Tuner in Training

Well, I fixed the long write time problem. I got a new laptop that has a serial port. ;D It took 27 seconds to write to the VCM this morning. Now that's awesome.