Thread: E38 without VSS

Potential Tuner

E38 without VSS

I read somewhere that if the e38 doesn't receive a VSS it will use the base spark table only. Is this true? I am trying to pinpoint a possible reason for my car not responding too well to tuning on the dyno and being consistently low on power.

I have a TH400 without a speed sender in it.

Also, does no VSS have any impact on the throttle not staying open throughout the rev range or anything like that?

Tuner in Training
    Ive got the same question

Senior Tuner
    u will need a VSS otherwise it will think its always stationary, so many tables wont get used as they should, idle spark table is only used for idle soon as u get a few percent throttle into it it will go into the main spark table and then coastdown uses its table also, i cant see it working too well without it

Tuner in Training
    Ok thank you very much, what do I need to change in the editor if I put in the Dakota digital vss sensor in?

Tuner in Training
    Which vss from Dakota should I get for a th400? 128k? I?m not running a speedo

Senior Tuner
    im not sure on the pulse range needed but i think its adjustable for a curtain range in the tune, i think its up there tho cos it can come from the abs sensors

Advanced Tuner
    typically the VSS the PCM sees without an input it 255mph all the time. the speedo on the dash may use a wheel sensor source as default and work.

the E38 I have done with TH400 use the wheel sensors for the dash cluster speedo and the PCM sees a constant 255mph input.

the PCM think the car is always moving. you may have some issues coming to a coasting stop and returning to idle with no road speed. the E38 controls idle best in adaptive idle strategy. I usually just set the enable VSS limit to a max value meaning adaptive idle will always try to control and maintain idle despite what is occurring dynamically. I have found that with aftermarket cams adaptive idle is the most capable as opposed to trying to control everything without adaptive idle airflow corrections.