Thread: 2003 LQ4 sometimes extremely rich at idle even when at normal temp

Tuner in Training

2003 LQ4 sometimes extremely rich at idle even when at normal temp

2003 CCSB 4x4 Chevy 1500HD LQ4 and 4L80E with Speed Engineering 1 3/4 LT headers, full Speed Engineering 3" true dual exhaust with X-pipe, E-Fans, K&N CAI, and some tuning done by me. All was well until I installed the headers and exhaust. It was immediately lean which was to be expected after the headers and exhaust install; however, the problem is now it is sometimes very rich at startup; even if it not a cold start and at normal operating temperature. IT will idle rough and show a reading of .67 -.81 on the wideband set for Lambda. After a short drive the idle returns to .95 - 1.05 with no rough idle. I believe the wideband is reading correctly because it smells very rich when it has the rough idle and smells normal when the gauge displays close to lambda. I am also aware it should be a bit rich at cold startup which is not the case when restarting at normal operating temp. Am I missing anything in the tune for idle that would cause this. This was not an issue until after the headers and exhaust. Also the issue is not always present, but instead is hit and miss. Any help is appreciated so thanks in advance.

Tuner in Training
    Anyone?

Post a log of it going on, if possible.

Sometimes the cat test that is not available in HP Tuners can cause the overly rich or lean condition if it goes into test mode. It seems that if the rear o2 sensor circuits are left open the test will happen, I always left the rear o2 sensor plugged in but zip tied to the frame and tests stopped.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I will try plugging them back in to see if that resolves the issue. I will also try to log it happening.