Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Datalogger stops randomly when racing. Driving me crazy.

Datalogger stops randomly when racing. Driving me crazy.

First of all this is a LSx swap car (fox body mustang). Car has been together for a couple of years and never had this problem. Now it seems I can't make a single pass without the datalogger stopping before/during the pass. The car is pretty quick (5.60's in the 1/8th, turbo charged), so having reliable data logs is very important. I've never had this problem in any other cars I've tuned.

I rewired the ODBII port completely (ran a new serial data wire directly from the PCM, new + source and ground) and the data log has still yet to make it all the way down the track before shutting off. It is the strangest thing but something causes the scanner to stop logging and when it does this it will say it can't find the interface if you hit the play button (scan) again (you have to pull the usb out and put it back in).

I've only been able to recreate the problem twice in a non-race setting (obviously when blasting down the track I cannot look at the data logger), and both times it seemed like the data started pausing a bit before it finally gave up, like the numbers on the data logger would lag a few times then it'd stop. I have never experienced this in any other cars, but I am 100% sure the wiring to the odbii port is perfect. I thought I had the issue narrowed down to the brake switch input into the PCM as the data logger seemed to lag when I'd step on the brakes, but I removed that input and it did it again on the next pass.

Any ideas on what to check now. I have now raced 3 or 4 weekends without a single good datalog and with a car this fast I am weary of that. Car does have some electronics in it, line lock, transbrake, co2 boost controller, etc., but none of those are on the same ground and I can't recreate the problem with any of them. It seems to really only want to do it when I am making an actual pass.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    might want to consider upgrading to the MPVI pro hardware, I can't imagine having a laptop in the vehicle running 5.6's in the 1/8th being the best way to datalog, could easily be a usb or some other connection issue, cars going that fast to to not be so smooth(I've driven in some fast cars at the track and its usually a pretty violent experience), I can't imagine a pc holding up so well. Really just so many variables you'll be hardpressed to narrow it down to one but taking the laptop out of the picture would be a start in the right direction.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    I've experienced this problem before as well.. Any other symptoms associated with it?

I have experienced this with the Pro as well. My thought was a cable coming loose or voltage drop or something. I have not tried to recreate it though.

i have this issue on at least a couple passes every time i go to the track
    1999 TransAm: Stock shortblock, LS6 cam, 317 heads, 60# injectors, TC76 front mount

Tuner in Training
    to all posters above..are these SD tunes???

Mine disconnects any time I'm in a car that can accelerate very hard. It's annoying as hell. I have to hold the cable in my hand and keep the USB cord secure the whole time during wot pulls.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

I had the same problem with mine disconnecting during scanning. I tried a bunch of different USB cables with the same result. In the end, I used a rubber band around the hptuners box placed on the USB cable to give it a little tension to the side. I haven't had a disconnect while scanning sense.
    2015 Corvette Convertible
    1992 GMC with 5.3 LM7
    Factory Five Roadster LS1 Tremec TKO

Senior Tuner
    I have a car with a custom carputer.
    Though I do not have my HPT installed I do have some elm devices and other peripherals.
    I have Hot Glue Gunned the Usb cables to the units themselves.

Tuner in Training
    The reason I was asking on the SD OS is it seems my 3 troublesome vehicles are all SD converted OS. I can start the scanner with key on-no engine start and walk away for a half hour if i want and it keeps going. If I start the vehicle or disconnect then start the vehicle I may run for 20-40 seconds then poops out. It will not reconnect without first unplugging and re plugging the USB cable then it’s a crap shoot on how long it will stay scanning but inevitably will quit within a minute or so.
    Am i the only one seeing this?

rico,

Your issue may be different, but before I used the rubber band to tension the cable, the only way I could get mine to work again was just like you said. I had to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable. Sometimes I would get a good connection that held and other times it would scan for a few minutes and quit again. It was driving me crazy as it seemed random. I haven't had it quit yet since my fix. For me, it was clearly a connection issue on the HPtuner box end of the USB cable.
    1992 GMC with 5.3 LM7

Tuner in Training
    Good suggestion jcrumpley as the plugging and unplugging over the years could be contributing to my issue. Here is the kicker though, i can go over to any newer vehicle and connect and drive around for however long i need to...very strange it's just a select few vehicles. New USB cable, new ALDL connector cable, different lap top and it's only slightly better. Conclusion would be the vehicle right? but again any other vehicle as of late is not an issue....very stumped on this one

Yep, under those conditions, I would conclude it was the vehicle too. One thing to check is to see if windows is actually losing the USB drivers when it disconnects. You can see this in windows under "control panel", "system", "device manager". There should be two usb hptuners drivers showing up. This is how I determined that it was USB related for my issue, as each time it happened, I could go in and see the drivers were missing from windows. Unplugging and replugging the USB cable caused the drivers to return and allowed me to scan again.
    1992 GMC with 5.3 LM7

Make sure all your USB ports are not set to power down after awhile. In XP...Control Panel - System - Device Manager, right click USB Root Hub, Properties - Power Management tab. Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. (Do all the USB Root Hubs)
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Senior Tuner
    I had the same issue with a Cadillac CTS-V on the dyno last week. Frustrating when the scanner stops in the middle of a dyno pull. Every time I would have to unplug and plug in the USB to start a new scan. Would always say interface not found if I tried to start the data logging without doing so.

And I have 7 USB Root Hubs under Device Manager and none of them are set to Allow The Computer To Turn Off This Device To Save Power.
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 05-08-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Any updates on this as I have had the same issue on numerous vehicles.

04 Sierra Denali,370,S485B, Built 4L80E, 3barOLSD, E85

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 03Sierraslt View Post
    Any updates on this as I have had the same issue on numerous vehicles.
    Either use standalone DL or secure your USB cable

same issue here using pro module and only happens at WOT on various vehicles. Some cars are fine and others....not so much. I've had one tuning buddy tell me that changing spark plug wires helped as if it were some EMI or RF energy pissing it off.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Advanced Tuner
    That is what is happening to me now. On WOT pulls all of a sudden the scanner stops working. I was wondering if I accidently hit a button that allowed for this option since I am not familiar with scanning. On partial throttle all is ok. So what is the solution???

Tuner in Training
    well i was back in my troublesome vehicle today with less than satisfying results. Same thing but now it wouldn't even connect with just key on engine off. USB shows both devices are still present, all set to never disable any USB etc.
    Im looking for any other input as im about at the end on my rope

are all of the other people see issues scanning a lot of parameters at once? could this be contributing??
    Last edited by rico996tt; 08-20-2013 at 10:36 AM.