Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Datalogger stops randomly when racing. Driving me crazy.

Senior Tuner
    Are you sure this is not an electrical fault (like voltage
    dropping out momentarily)? I've experienced dropouts
    as well, never figured out why (for lack of chasing). The
    automotive power environment is ugly at best. Wonder
    if some local filtering on the OBDII 5V line might help.

It would not be a bad idea to try a limited PID set that
    puts you into max frame rate, just to see. My gut feel
    as I recall was that disconnects happened when there
    was "a lot of stuff going on" and maybe the bus is just
    too chaotic, or something.

Tuner in Training
    I'm curious towards what type of computer hardware you guys run. I take it everyone in here is running at least a standard hard drive and not a SSD? When I started tuning a while back, the laptop I had was a standard hard drive which also had a "G meter" to detect falling to save the hard drive from crashing into the platters. It got bad enough that I could trigger the hard drive lock-up just by stabbing the throttle hard enough.

Now, I tune with a newer laptop and an upgraded SSD. I rarely see freezes anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    might want to consider upgrading to the MPVI pro hardware, I can't imagine having a laptop in the vehicle running 5.6's in the 1/8th being the best way to datalog, could easily be a usb or some other connection issue, cars going that fast to to not be so smooth(I've driven in some fast cars at the track and its usually a pretty violent experience), I can't imagine a pc holding up so well. Really just so many variables you'll be hardpressed to narrow it down to one but taking the laptop out of the picture would be a start in the right direction.
    Some people (including me) that use the MPVI pro cannot log many of the PID's we need since it create's drop-outs in the data due to to many PID's being logged. So for us, the laptop is still necessary, unfortunately.

I am using a SSD drive on my little netbook that I tuck in the pocket in the back seat... but that is a huge pain, and it gets very hot in there, but so far no problems at 1/4 mile or autocross/road course.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 08-22-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

I think most of you guys are having ground issues. I've had similar occurances on many cars and adding grounds from chassis to engine and battery to chassis seems to always cure my issues. Using the dyno for most of my tuning I also power my wideband off of a second battery I keep charged.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Potential Tuner
    Guys, What works for me is putting in the back seat and putting the seatbelt on. I have no problem.

Tuner in Training
    well taking all previous posts suggestions (except #25.....really? lol) I have another 2bar converted file that drops recording randomly even after making 2 separate versions (in case one was corrupt). I wonder if some of this is stand alone harness related? out of 3 cars only one problematic vehicle is stock harness(02 camaro Procharged) I am also recording quite a few parameters but generally like to see all that i have selected. Has anyone determined there is a limit to how many things/PID's can be viewed at once on the earlier systems? All these files have been based off of 2002 camaro OS before conversion to 2bar SD.
    Thanks all for you input

Tuner in Training
    Revisiting this thread for more info…input wise. I’m still having scanner issues as stated in all my above posts but now another vehicle I am working on has been added to the list. This is a 2006 E38 OS converted to 2bar SD. Now there are three 2000-2002 Camaro/Firebird cars and one 2006 Z06 with the same scanner “drop out” issues. I have loaded the software and tried 3 different laptops (different OP systems on them too) and all have the same issue. None of these cars had issues with the programs before the SD conversion. I am considering ordering a longer cable capable of tying in a noose and throwing it over one of the rafters lol. Please tell me someone else is having some of the same issues!?

I have similar issues too. I have changed out the cable to the scanner and the one to the computer with no luck. Randomly it drops connection; full throttle, driving around town, idling in the garage, doesn't seem to matter. I've even kept my eye on voltage to see if that was the issue.

I will try the USB power thing mentioned above, hopefully that helps...
    RHS Block 427, Mast/ PI 275 Heads, A&A YSi SC, 3.125Pulley, 238/254 LSA116+5, Flip Drive, AR 1 7/8 Headers, Corsa Touring Cat Back, RPM Level VII Tranny/ Flexplate/ Drive Plate, PFADT Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft, RPM rebuilt DTE Stage 4 3.42s, Vigilante 3 Disk 2600 converter, Custom Fuel System with Dual A1000 Pumps, ID 1000 injectors, Triple Nozzle Alky Control, 3 Bar SD Tune using 2.5 MAP. 935rwhp 800rwt

Potential Tuner
    Did anybody every solve this mystery? 4 years later I'm having this same problem.