Thread: No reading from knock sensor.

Tuner in Training

Unhappy No reading from knock sensor.

I've tried various tunes and have yet to get a reading from my knock sensor in hp tuners. I've checked the wiring and all is good, the knock sensor is brand new too. I threw my old 4.3 knock sensor on(different part #, but I know it works) and same outcome. Why is this?

2000 S10 Blazer
    350 Vortec

Senior Tuner
    No Knock?
    hard to tell with out log or tune posted

If memory serves the S10 used a Flat Response (LS2 style) knock sensor - at least the 2001+ models did - not sure about your 2000 S10.

The L31 Vortec engines used a Resonant (LS1 style) knock sensor. These are very different, and require different programming. This is the same issue people run into when trying to use a PCM to control a 24x LS2 engine.

Tuner in Training
    Here's the current tune and matching log.

If memory serves the S10 used a Flat Response (LS2 style) knock sensor - at least the 2001+ models did - not sure about your 2000 S10.

The L31 Vortec engines used a Resonant (LS1 style) knock sensor. These are very different, and require different programming. This is the same issue people run into when trying to use a PCM to control a 24x LS2 engine.
    All I can tell you is that I have a 1 wire knock sensor. I seen that the 5.7 and 4.3 sensors are different so I got a 5.7, but no change. I'm wondering if maybe I need one from an 02 Express van...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zq8blazer; 04-27-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I was just told by a guy that did the same exact swap as me (only he has a 96 model Blazer) that he has his knock sensor wire plugged into C1 Blue 9 and he's getting a reading. He put it into C1 Blue 51 (where I have mine) and he didn't get a reading either.

If the calibration is configured for Resonant (LS1) style knock sensor(s) - then the input from the lone knock sensor on a 2002 Vortec 5.7L engine (or the bank 1 knock sensor on an LSx engine) - is wired to C1 (Blue) pin 51.

If the calibration is configured for Flat Response (LS2) style knock sensor(s) - then the above would be wired to C1 pin 9.

Mixing and matching knock sensor types with calibration setting types would yield unusable (or absent) knock sensor data.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you so much for clearing that up! Now how can I find out if mine is calibrated for resonant or flat response? Do I just need to try it in C1 Pin 9 or is that too dangerous to attempt?

Tuner in Training
    Well I tried putting the wire into #9 and still got the same outcome.

Tuner in Training
    I just checked the wire from the pcm to the knock sensor connector (since I had to extend it for the swap) and it's good. Put a ground to the knock sensor and banged around the engine. No reading whatsoever.

Senior Tuner
    You need to try a Resonant (LS1) style knock sensor(s) on C1 (Blue) pin 51.
    and if no go
    a Flat Response (LS2) style knock sensor(s) on C1 pin 9.

Tuner in Training
    Thought I'd bump this. I'm still having the no knock reading problem. Since the 350 Vortec sensor was under warranty I went and picked up another one. I'm getting a reading from it, but the PCM does not detect it. I hooked up a timing light and the timing doesn't change when I hit the block with a wrench. So here's where I'm at:
    -Verified the wire is in the correct spot.
    -Tried two different knock sensors.
    -Checked for continuity from the knock sensor connector to the pin.
    -Hooked a timing light up and banged on the engine, nothing happened. The notch on the balancer is about 1" before the mark on the timing cover though, idk if that matters.
    -Checked to see if sensor is putting out a voltage.
    -Checked to see if PCM is reading the knock sensor (it is not)

You need to try a Resonant (LS1) style knock sensor(s) on C1 (Blue) pin 51.
    and if no go
    a Flat Response (LS2) style knock sensor(s) on C1 pin 9.
    I'm 100% positive it requires the one I have in blue pin 51.
    Last edited by zq8blazer; 07-01-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Tuner in Training
    also how do I tell if it's tuned for the resonant or flat response knock sensor? As stated it needs to be for the LS1, single wire.

Potential Tuner
    I am also having this issue with an LQ4. Any updates?