Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06 GTO Ls2 no spark

Tuner in Training

06 GTO Ls2 no spark

I'm having trouble getting a ls2 from an 06 gto to start. I have removed vats and it cranks just fine. I can confirm I removed it because it would not crank with it enabled. The fuel pump primes and hptuners shows 140-150 rpm when cranking. There is just no spark. We checked the voltage on the coils and they all read 12v on the hot, but didnt seem to register anything on the signal.

There aren't a lot of posts online with this issue and similar issues always end up being vats. Any ideas?

Senior Tuner
    post tune and log of Cam/Crank and Rpm pids

Tuner in Training
    I will post my tune after I get home tonight. There were a few modifications already done (I compared to stock) but they only addressed pe and some tc/speed limiter settings. I should also mention that I disabled the clutch requirement as well (manual tune.)

As for the logs, I'm not sure I saved any of them. There really wasn't much to see. I do recall seeing the crank anti theft one but that was before vats was turned off.

I will have access to the engine in about 24 hours and can log/try anything then.

Tuner in Training
    Here is the tune. Would you suggest I grab a completely stock one, disable vats and clutch then perform a write entire again?

I will be working on it in a few hours and will post a log asap.

20130601_firstread_more_dtcs_turnedon.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Here are 2 of the logs I just recorded...the first had dtc 1629 set to 0, the second has it set to 3.

The fuel pump is being primed and running while cranking.

2013_06_06_shop_no_spark2.hpl2013_06_06_shop_no_spark.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Quick update, I still wasn't able to get it to start. It jumped up in rpm (to ~300-400) 2 times and seemed like it wanted to start, but we still haven't seen spark using a timing light or pulling out the plug.

One log showed dtc 0529 which has to do with an immobilizer. I set that to 3 in the ecm, so that shouldn't affect it.

I have tried three different crank sensors (all 24x.) 2 came with and I bought another yesterday. Only 1 of them showed any rpm on hp tuners. Since the new one did not, I'm assuming this has something to do with the learning procedure that needs to be done? From my understanding it cannot be done unless the engine is running.

I'm starting to run out of ideas. We tried performing the cam sensor wire swap as well, but nothing seems to have changed.

Senior Tuner
    1, You should be able to log Pids for Crank sensor and one for Cam sensor.
    2, You still have several VTD dtcs enabled (quick check I saw p0633 1629 1632 1677 78 79

Senior Tuner
    Have you checked the fuses/power wires to the ignition coils?

A friend of mine was asking me for help daily about his car that wasn't starting...insisting it had a VATS problem...and I kept telling him to check power at the injectors and coils...finally he found a loose wire behind a fuse panel and the car runs fine again.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner in Training
    planethax,

I will try disabling those. I guess I'm not really familiar with what you're asking for. I will do some research and try it tomorrow morning. Thanks for taking the time to look and respond.

MikeOD,

We have checked and 12v on the coils is fine. We tested the signal wires on the coils and they are not broken.

Senior Tuner
    When connected to vehicle with scanner, click on main table right click insert
    look for Cam sensor and crank sensor pids to add to table.
    iirc in engine diagnostics.

then you can see if pcm is seeing the cam and crank sensors.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks planethax,

I will give that a try tomorrow

Tuner in Training
    Here is an updated log. I could only find one crank related pid. Still no spark on the timing light.

2013_06_08_dtcremoved.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Another log, it seemed like it wanted to fire for a second. I added some more pids to the table. It seemed like the ignition voltage dropped a decent amount.

2013_06_08_dtcremoved2.hpl

Potential Tuner
    hello I read over your problem and found GM has a service bulletin on this condition first link the BCM TO THE PIM using a scan tool second link the ECM TO THE PIM USING THE PASS THREW PROGRAMING

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkurtis View Post
    hello I read over your problem and found GM has a service bulletin on this condition first link the BCM TO THE PIM using a scan tool second link the ECM TO THE PIM USING THE PASS THREW PROGRAMING
    @mrkurtis

Not sure I understand. If I disable the security codes and vats, the bcm shouldn't matter, at least this is my understanding. Could you give me more insight?

Tuner in Training
    Still not having any luck. I found this post http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898910 and I'm guessing I'm not one of those tuners. I have yet to get spark.

Senior Tuner
    post latest file and Ill look at dtcs etc again

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by planethax View Post
    Thanks! These should be the latest ones.

20130608_3.hpt2013_06_08__6_onelasttry.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by planethax View Post
    Hey planethax, did you happen to have a chance to look at my files? The only thing we are missing still is spark. We can confirm that injectors are firing using a noid light.

Senior Tuner
    Sorry had PC problems (smoke lol)

Ive looked at file and dont see anything really off, however, I have never dealt personally with Vats on one of these.

Do you have injector pulse?

When cranking the System voltage goes quite low, I have a feeling it is a wiring issue, possible ground.