Thread: 2013 Cruze Eco DTC U0284

Advanced Tuner

2013 Cruze Eco DTC U0284

As you all know, the ECO model has the grill shutters. The shutters have to be removed when installing aftermarket FMIC kits. This threw two codes: P069E, and U0284. The P069E is available, and as I understand it, it sets whenever the fuel pressure control module system has a fault (it must control the shutters because the car ran great, no fueling issues). The U0284 is not available to be disabled.

Can U0284 be added to the DTC list for the Cruze? Should I email support with any additional information? Another option (if it's available) would be a master enable/disable for the shutter system. Since it seems to be a part of the FPCM, I'm not sure if it's a possibility. Again, just let me know if you need me to email anything to support.

Thanks!
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Both these codes are controlled by the FCSM. DO you know how the shutters are controlled? By the ECM? Do they have their own module or controlled by another module? Uxxx codes are generally communications related codes.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    Both these codes are controlled by the FCSM. DO you know how the shutters are controlled? By the ECM? Do they have their own module or controlled by another module? Uxxx codes are generally communications related codes.
    I'm not sure what controls the shutters, but considering the P069E, it's probably part of the fuel module. The shutter harness is currently just unplugged. If I could turn off the U0284 (which is illuminating the CEL), i'd be ok. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to figure out a way to fool it with a jumper or resistor or something.

I wonder if there is a difference somewhere between the LT/LTZ/RS and the ECO, since the non-ECO models do not have the shutters.
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Advanced Tuner
    My current hpt file is attached if it helps. The vendor of the intercooler kit had no useful advice to offer...hoping the U0284 DTC can be added at some point.
    Attached Files Attached Files

if the code isn't in the DTC list then the ECM doesn't set it.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    if the code isn't in the DTC list then the ECM doesn't set it.
    Yet it's still setting the check engine light. I removed the motor from the shutter assembly and plugged it to the harness. The CEL was gone in three key cycles, but then back again in two more - this time U0284 and P059F (Active Grille Air Shutter Performance). If these codes cannot be disabled through the VCM editor, would it make sense that swapping to a non-eco model fuel pump control module would take care of it? I'm very quickly running out of options here - even my buddy (GM tech) couldn't help resolve the problem after about an hour on the phone with GM tech link. It's either that or the PCM/calibration.

I basically have until august to either figure it out, or swap back to the stock IC before my inspection is out.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    As chris stated if the dtc's aren't in the editor it simply means the pcm does not throw the code(s).
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    As chris stated if the dtc's aren't in the editor it simply means the pcm does not throw the code(s).
    I understand what you are saying, I'm just trying to get feedback on how to deal with the situation. It looks like I need to grab a fuel pressure control module from a non-eco model. It probably has to be a 2013 as well...since the part number on mine is not the same as the part number on 2011-2012s

Advanced Tuner
    I'm just closing this subject out in case anyone searches for it. The solution is to swap out your fuel pump control module in the trunk (passenger side under the carpet on the wheel well) to AC Delco part number 20867260. You can find that one in the non eco 2011-2012 1.4t models. I found mine at a salvage yard for $75, but you can probably find them for less on ebay, etc.

I swapped out the modules and all codes were gone - I didn't even have to clear them or reset them. Otherwise, the car runs/drives as it did before the swap.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    I'm just closing this subject out in case anyone searches for it. The solution is to swap out your fuel pump control module in the trunk (passenger side under the carpet on the wheel well) to AC Delco part number 20867260. You can find that one in the non eco 2011-2012 1.4t models. I found mine at a salvage yard for $75, but you can probably find them for less on ebay, etc.

I swapped out the modules and all codes were gone - I didn't even have to clear them or reset them. Otherwise, the car runs/drives as it did before the swap.
    Just wanted to let you know that you just saved me the HUGEST headache in the world. I recently bought a 12 Cruze Eco at auction and I decided to put the RS front end on it. Had no idea I'd get a CEL without the shutters. What was going to cost me $150 cost me $40 on eBay. PLUS, the swap is loads easier than trying to retrofit the shutter assy on the RS cover. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Advanced Tuner
    Awesome man, glad it helped - I'd hate to think that I'm the only ECO owner who's changed the front bumper or removed the shutter system!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jjordan12 View Post
    Just wanted to let you know that you just saved me the HUGEST headache in the world. I recently bought a 12 Cruze Eco at auction and I decided to put the RS front end on it. Had no idea I'd get a CEL without the shutters. What was going to cost me $150 cost me $40 on eBay. PLUS, the swap is loads easier than trying to retrofit the shutter assy on the RS cover. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
    i also bought a 2012 cruze eco from the auction and replaced front bumper. i am having the same codes. do i have to buy a shutter seperately? pls let me know where to buy and what i can do. thanks

I have an eco cruze 2011 same thing. Body shop removed bumper. Will be a hard sell to hold them responsible for something this weird.

Potential Tuner

Motor plugged into harness or not for clearing shutter assembly codes?

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post

Hi oldskool,
    I am following your instructions above and hope to clear a PO59F code which popped up when my 2012 Chevy Cruze eco was in an accident. My mechanic did a great job fixing the front bumper cover, and he tried to fix the shutter assembly with glue etc., but it is not operating correctly. The shutters are not opening and closing smoothly. I hope to not have to fix it at all by using the 20867260 fuel pump control module off of a 2015 Chevy Cruze, which is coming in the mail. QUESTION: Should I disconnect the motor from the harness, or should I leave it plugged in? THANKS! Ned

Advanced Tuner
    You can disconnect the motor from the harness. Immediately after plugging in the non-ECO fuel pump control module, the codes were gone and never came back. When I returned the car to stock to trade it in, I went back to the air shutter system and reinstalled the ECO fuel pump control module and everything worked as it should. I hope this helps.

Also for what it's worth, I didn't lose any apparent fuel economy removing the shutters. The mod that caused the most drop in economy was porting the intake manifold...

Potential Tuner
    Thank you oldskool . . . when I get the part in the mail, I will let you know how it goes....
    Edward

Potential Tuner
    Hello Oldskool, thank you so much for posting this you really helped me out. I have a 2014 Cadillac CTS LTG 2.0T engine and 6L45 trans in a 1968 Jeepster Commando. I found your post by searching for U0284. Seeing the code was for the louvers and I don't even have the wires in my reworked standalone harness. So most of the suggestions to fool the system weren't an option for me. I looked for another GM vehicle with the LTG 2.0L that wouldn't have the louvers and based on the options on eBay I went with a 2016 Camaro fuel module p/n 23281816.
    2 codes went away the U0284 and P0603 KAM Keep Alive Memory.
    Thanks again!
    I hope someone else will benefit from this post.