Thread: Replace PCM?

Tuner in Training

Replace PCM?

I suspect I have a bad PCM, I buddy of mine is going to sell me a PCM from the same year (2000) bird. What is the process of changing it? Is it as simple as writing the tune?

Tuner in Training
    I read online that I need to take it to a dealer and have the VIN changed?

Senior Tuner
    I have never done this (I have a GM Tech2) but ill explain they way I THINK it is supposed to work.
    You do a Write entire on New PCM, it will ask you to licence it, you do.
    Then You Change the VIN.
    However, I have read threads where others say it is not as simple as that.

If you take it to dealer to flash, you will still need to licence the new Pcm as even though you have the file licenced the New PCM VCMID will be different.

Senior Tuner
    I do it all the time, never had a problem. Write Entire with your file and your vin will already be there. Unless you have have fbody unlocked it will cost you the credits to license the file on the pcm you are over writing.(2000 firebird is gen 3 and should be in gen 3 section)
    Last edited by mecanicman; 06-28-2013 at 10:45 AM.

You can use the Tech 2 to replicate your old PCM I've done it several times, you need to install TIS2000 and you can clone your old PCM, no need to buy credits.

And yes you need to be in gen 3 section

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mourat View Post
    You can use the Tech 2 to replicate your old PCM I've done it several times, you need to install TIS2000 and you can clone your old PCM, no need to buy credits.

And yes you need to be in gen 3 section
    That changes the VCMID?
    I didnt think that would work.

Tuner in Training
    May bad guys sorry about that. Thanks for the info.

Done it, works fine.

I too am the victim of a bad ECU. I have a 2008 TrailBlazer SS running the E67 ECU. A Friend of mine also has an 08 TBSS and said I can have his Stock ECU because he bought a second set with a tune already loaded. Now his Stock ECU has his VIN# in it. Can I just install his ECU into my TBSS and just Write Entire my file into it? Will that overwrite his VIN# with mine? And I've been told I would also have to do a Case Learn, but that's just a waiting game.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS AWD 3SS, Keystone Camaro SS Style Hood, LS1 Dual Fans, LS7 TB, 80lbs Injectors, Meth Injection, TVS2300 @14lbs, Innovators West 10% Overdrive 8-Rib Crank Pulley & T-Mac's 2.9" RIP 8-Rib Pulley, A.R.H. Stainless a Steel 1 7/8" W/Cats and a Full Custom Stainless Steel Dual Exhaust, Tune Time's Blower Cam

Senior Tuner
    Correct Plus you will need to licence the new PCM
    Do a Write Entire' will ask to licence, licence it then flash.