Thread: 06 LLY thoughts and questions

Advanced Tuner

06 LLY thoughts and questions

I am looking to do a mild tune to my dads 06 LLY, its basically going to be used for towing. He plans to tow a Toy hauler trailer all around the US with it and will most likely be pulling close to capacity. He just got the truck and I read the current tune and I am a bit confused as it appears as though it is actually turned down a little bit. I am new to tuning diesels so maybe I am just retarded and I am looking at it wrong but it appears to be backed off a couple percent basically.

I read through the stickies, but I am unsure if a 10/10 is what I am looking for tune wise. I am just curious what you guys would suggest. The truck has a all stock trans and it will stay that way.

I tried comparing his current tune to other claimed stock 06 LLY tunes and 07 LBZ tunes and I am not really sure what to make of it, if I am not mistaken I could load a LBZ tune and it would be a mild start. Is this correct?

Thanks for any input.
    Current mods are-

Downpipe with No Cat, MBRP dual exhaust 4" to muffler then dual 4" out back, Banks CAI, Boost guage, EGT Guage.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 03Sierraslt; 07-07-2013 at 09:28 AM.

04 Sierra Denali,370,S485B, Built 4L80E, 3barOLSD, E85

06 LLY can and should be updated to the 06 LBZ config. If he is towing super heavy, I would not go much over stock LBZ config in order to keep the tranny within safe limits.
    2006 LBZ Duramax
    5" Magnaflow turbo-back
    EGR blocked
    HP Tuned by yours truly

Advanced Tuner
    Do you happen to have a stock 06 LBZ tune? I have found some 07's in the repositories but didnt see any 06's

Just to be clear, you need to copy all of the values from my tune into your tune file. Do not try and flash my file into your truck. Enjoy.
    I attached the stock tune, as well as my custom tune. The custom tune is a bit hotter and you shouldn't tow over 12klbs with it.

Johns 2006 Silverado 2500HD LBZ STOCK TUNE.hpt

Johns 2006 Silverado 2500HD LBZ tow tune 31 inch tire.hpt
    2006 LBZ Duramax
    5" Magnaflow turbo-back
    EGR blocked
    HP Tuned by yours truly

Advanced Tuner
    Thank You sir, for now Ill just go with the stock LBZ tune. And as mentioned Ill just copy the values.

Advanced Tuner
    I have not done anything yet, did you happen to compare the tune I uploaded vs. your stock tune? I was comparing them and there are many differences but they seem really random. Now I am no diesel tuning expert but it seems like none of the differences are of much significance. The thing that gets me is that I cannot find a stock tune that matches the one that is in it, this leads me to believe that its not stock currently however based on my understanding of the primary tables that effect fueling it seems his current tune is turned down some... Any thoughts on this? Thanks for your help

The main difference is in the torque management settings. You need to turn up the driver demand and the peak torque tables in the Engine Torque Management section. Then also be sure to turn up the max torque in the Transmission Torque Management section as well. Basically you are just telling the computer to ask for and allow more fuel and boost based on pedal position. There are some smaller differences in the base fuel and boost tables, as well as the timing, and you should copy everything. Make sure you have your view set to Advanced so you can see all the available tables.
    You really should try out my tow tune also. Just spend some time and copy ALL the tables using the compare feature. Think about blocking the EGR too.
    2006 LBZ Duramax
    5" Magnaflow turbo-back
    EGR blocked
    HP Tuned by yours truly

Potential Tuner

Thank You for the Tables

Quote Originally Posted by Johns98TA View Post
    Just to be clear, you need to copy all of the values from my tune into your tune file. Do not try and flash my file into your truck. Enjoy.
    I attached the stock tune, as well as my custom tune. The custom tune is a bit hotter and you shouldn't tow over 12klbs with it.

Johns 2006 Silverado 2500HD LBZ STOCK TUNE.hpt

Johns 2006 Silverado 2500HD LBZ tow tune 31 inch tire.hpt
    Thank you for suppling the tow tune file to download and compare to factory tune. I'm just about to take the truck for a run on the stock tune after getting rid of the efi live dps5 tune that was locking the ECU, thankfully the stock tune on the flash tuner unlocked the ECU, the truck has had an EGR delete with the turbo to intercooler pipe replaced along with the Y intake pipe replaced, the plan is to take it for a drive with the stock tune with EGR disabled and all the Mil alarms disabled for the EGR and the P0540 disabled due to the cold start heater being removed along with all the EGR Crap (FYI I'm in Australia so don't need the cold start heater). just wondering if you have done any further research with tunes given this is a pretty old thread.

Cheers James