Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest tuning troubles there are no write ups for? or wrong write ups?

Biggest tuning troubles there are no write ups for? or wrong write ups?

Well sometimes when I am testing stuff at work it is a lot of sitting around. Figured if there were some things that a lot of people needed explained, or explained in more detail I could throw some stuff together. A lot of times people come on here with the same issues, plus this gives me something to do if I have free time. Any recommendations?
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Senior Tuner
    effective size table (no eyeballing or 'shifting' please)
    idle tuning for ETC,
    throttle cracker/follower (there's a lot of info on this but decentralized and disorganized),
    dealing with large stalls (beyond trial and error),
    dealing with boost,
    IFR settings for funky fuel regulators/boost-a-pump/etc,
    diagnostics/troubleshooting with tuning scanners

that's just off top of my head, i'm trying to do some of it myself but it's very time consuming.

ok thanks
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Throttle cracker/follower
    Timing Advance that isn't pure conjecture
    Burrito warming
    Maybe even RAF since you can do it with a histogram now...
    2008 Viper - now with HPToona - 1/4 Mile Shenanigans Here
    11.02 @ 130

scott has a hitsogram set up for raf that works great. i did it by going through the log, same way except this is faster lol. i dont have an exact how to on the cracker and follower but ill put up what i have found

Yeah, I used his histogram, except when I called out the PIDs, I made sure they had a ".MET" on the end of them to make sure I was pulling off g/s instead of lb/min. Just wondered if there needed to be a writeup to inform the masses.
    11.02 @ 130

i will and will put his histogram on here if he doesnt mind

I'm going to do a write up for RAF soon...
    just too busy making demo stuff for major basic things for HPT....
    gotta do it first..
    I plan on doing soem writeup stuff for tuning...might be posted in HPT site...might just be on mine...thats up to teh powers that be....

Thers an RAF/IDLE histo that is a default config that comes with the HPT package now...

it uses Desired Airflow...
    works like a champ
    just set up to log the Idle Frictional Airflow table as its teh same table as RAF
    Log ECT and Idle Desired Airflow.....
    do it from a COLD COLD start
    once in Gear(for Manual and Auto Tranny)
    and Once in Park/Neutral for (for Auto Tranny only)

rinse Lather repeat(mostly as a double check)
    should be almost dead on with 1 pass...but you need to do it a second time sometimes....and either way..after you change the table and write it to the pcm...you need to do a relearn...which is just letting it idle up to full temperature again
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by redhardsupra
    effective size table (no eyeballing or 'shifting' please)
    idle tuning for ETC,
    throttle cracker/follower (there's a lot of info on this but decentralized and disorganized),
    dealing with large stalls (beyond trial and error),
    dealing with boost,
    IFR settings for funky fuel regulators/boost-a-pump/etc,
    diagnostics/troubleshooting with tuning scanners

that's just off top of my head, i'm trying to do some of it myself but it's very time consuming.

What he said!
    mostsly the dealing with boost and IFR settings for funky fuel regulators/boost-a-pump/etc.

This stuff is quite different from the school I learned in (Ford EECIV)!

Now that I've spent this much money on software I would like to know how to use it! LOL
    HPT seems to be the best out there, but the technical advice from the powers to be is hard to come by at times since they stay so busy.
    "A wise man once said that it is better to remain silent and appear ignorant, rather than speak and remove doubt".

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    gotta do it first..
    I plan on doing soem writeup stuff for tuning...might be posted in HPT site...might just be on mine...thats up to teh powers that be....

Thers an RAF/IDLE histo that is a default config that comes with the HPT package now...

works like a champ
    just set up to log the Idle Frictional Airflow table as its teh same table as RAF

should be almost dead on with 1 pass...but you need to do it a second time sometimes....and either way..after you change the table and write it to the pcm...you need to do a relearn...which is just letting it idle up to full temperature again
    So what is the right way to do idle tuning? I just did it by logging LTITs and STITs, and adding the result to the BRAF table. Seemed to work fine for me
    11.02 @ 130

both work well...I use both..first I do Idle Desired
    then teh 2nd time I double check I do LTIT/STIT
    -Scott -

Hmmmmmmmmmm...I'll have to check the other way and see how it is coming out. It definitely stopped a hanging idle problem I was having.
    11.02 @ 130

Advanced Tuner
    gotta do it first..

works like a champ

would this help for my dieing issue i have at low speed it idles fine at a dead stop but any movement and it idles real low and sometimes dies
    '04 Tahoe AWD, trickperformance turbo kit, TC78 turbo, 4"magnaflow muffler, Circle D triple disc 3,000, FLT LVL 7 4L60E, L92, 227/235 111lsa.
    Old 5.3=12.33 @110mph
    http://www.streetfire.net/video/turb...mph_741849.htm

Tuner in Training
    How about big overlap cams and VE tuning down low where going by AFR is pointless.
    2004 GTO
    408 Iron block
    AFR 225
    242/248 .608/.610 110 cam (247/252 .644/.638 113 cam going in)
    11.3:1
    SD tuned by soundengineer!!!

1991 RX7 LS6 swap
    LME 347
    Patriot LS6 heads 57cc
    EWP/FAST90
    MS4 cam on a 109.5+2
    11.7:1scr/8.75:1dcr
    SD openloop tune w/LC1
    225 shot

Quote Originally Posted by 408GOAT
    How about big overlap cams and VE tuning down low where going by AFR is pointless.
    AFR isnt pointless..you just need to look at the data differently at idle....
    because of teh big overlap you get pockets of air inbetween gas pulseses...but at idle that overlap doesnt cause enough velocity to just throw away the data...
    you just need to log at a faster rate(meaning less PID's) and consider looking at Max data in open loop vs average...also looking at it in the chart display can help you filter out what is real and what is overlap air
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    AFR isnt pointless..you just need to look at the data differently at idle....
    because of teh big overlap you get pockets of air inbetween gas pulseses...but at idle that overlap doesnt cause enough velocity to just throw away the data...
    you just need to log at a faster rate(meaning less PID's) and consider looking at Max data in open loop vs average...also looking at it in the chart display can help you filter out what is real and what is overlap air
    I need to try this, I've been chasing my tail with the idle VE.

Kevin
    2012 CTS-V Coupe M6
    1999 Z28 M6

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1PoweredZ28
    I need to try this, I've been chasing my tail with the idle VE.

Kevin
    you aint kiddin its hard to get this striaght for sure.
    Last edited by 4.8t; 01-13-2006 at 08:43 PM.
    '04 Tahoe AWD, trickperformance turbo kit, TC78 turbo, 4"magnaflow muffler, Circle D triple disc 3,000, FLT LVL 7 4L60E, L92, 227/235 111lsa.
    Old 5.3=12.33 @110mph

Senior Tuner
    what's hard, VE? it's trivial, i do it every time i got for a ride longer than 40 mins. let me guess, you adjust every cell separately?

yeah that f14 shoudl be easy to tune with a wb. sorry i have none of these writeups, work kicked my butt over break and i had no time for anything, surely i will get bored with my classes and find time to do it though lol

Advanced Tuner
    the ve seems to be easy enough i just can't seem to get my cam to chill out.
    Old 5.3=12.33 @110mph