Thread: Write Repository Tune to Licensed Vehicle?

Potential Tuner

Write Repository Tune to Licensed Vehicle?

Newbie here and search does not provide my answer. How do you write a repository stock tune to a vehicle for which you have a single vehicle license? When I load the repository tune to VCM Editor, it puts up a dialog that I don't have a license for the file.

Yes sir ... you have to license the controller itself (which includes the original calibration therein), AND also license any non-indigenous calibrations you choose to flash into that controller.

Another option is to copy over the parameters from the Repository calibration into our original calibration - if possible - you did not provide any details on what it is that you trying to accomplish.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Shrek. I found the answer to my original question with some additional searching. It really helps to get the search terms correct!

I am trying to get back to a stock tune for my 2001 Corvette without paying the dealer to reflash via Tech II. From my search I learned to copy from the repository file to my saved tune. Is there an easy way to copy tables completely from a compare without entering each cell individually? Individually is how I got my idle where I wanted it, but that is a simple table compared to say a VE table.

Open your file then open the stock file as a compare file. Click Compare, View Comparison Log. Right click on each header and choose Copy over Differences. Save your tune and flash.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Bill.

Now, how do you transfer license info from one computer to another. I have a netbook I use to read/write tunes but prefer to do work on my laptop. The laptop wants to issue a license for the file read from my licensed car.

The licenses are held in the interface (MPVI) ... connect the interface to any computer you use, and retrieve your license information ...

I run the software on multiple computers ... FYI

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Shrek. I really should work a little harder at figuring things out before panicking and asking a question. I tried hooking the interface to the computer but it didn't seem to take until I also hooked it to the car. Did this while you were replying and all is good now. Appreciate everyone's help and patience with a newbie. So far, I am very impressed with the power of this program and am anxious to learn more as I go.

Potential Tuner
    Good info.

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    Open your file then open the stock file as a compare file. Click Compare, View Comparison Log. Right click on each header and choose Copy over Differences. Save your tune and flash.

Tuner in Training
    I licensed a Holden manual file to write my g8 auto to a manual. I flashed the manual trans file and all is well. I swapped over engine, fuel tables and tried to write calibration and tried write entire again. It says unlicensed vehicle. What is causing this and why if I paid to license my car and for the Holden file? I also understand that to change the vin it's going to cost 2 more credits, but can't I just upgrade to the year model since they are both 2008 GM basically the same vehicle? I don't want to waste two credits changing the vin because I'm not sure it will change anything as far as being told it's a unlicensed vehicle and not being able to access it to write changes.
    Last edited by ah555666; 06-19-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Does anybody know what happened here, did I do something that wasn't supposed to be done? After reading pages and pages I tried to copy over differences but the car would not start without the tcm being plugged in and the speedometer was jumpy and not reading right, even after switching settings . Am I permanently locked out of writing the ecm? I flashed the manual file first last week but did not unhook the tcm, it wouldn't start, I wanted to drive the car some so I switched it back to the original file. It didn't take at first so I tried clicking write a few more times and it worked, car started and I drove it for a couple days. I flashed the manual Holden tune again and it took first time. But now it won't let me write anything. Unlicensed vehicle. Can anyone help?