Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L83 Swap Throttle Hang Issues

Tuner in Training

L83 Swap Throttle Hang Issues

I'm extremely new to anything GM tuning related. Threads in here have been a huge help to get me this far
    Engine is a 2014 L83 with TS heads, CHE trunions, Johnson link-bars, TS Stage 4 cam, SBE, 95mm throttle body, C8 exhaust manifolds, 3" collectors into 3.5" single exhaust (packaging reasons), BTR Trinity intake, 4" intake tube, CD009 manual trans, and flex fuel sensor wired in. Using the E92 truck ECU with Sierra OS 12663390. I know of the issues people have with auto OS's when they don't see any VSS info. I was having the same ones, then I wired in a VR style sensor on pins 6/7. All wheel speed values read 0, which negated all the work I previously did on the tune before I knew about the VSS woes

So now with VSS reading properly, I've gotten it mostly lined out from idle (975ish) to 1700ish rpms when free revving. It's not perfect, and is slow to return to idle when revving slowly to 1700, but it's better than when I started. However anything above 1700rpms hangs, sometimes for 5 seconds or more, when returning to idle. 1700 and below doesn't hang but does return slower than I expected. Also when WOT free revving it doesn't seem to go over 4k. Haven't figured that part out yet either. I've read through as many forum posts as I could find of people having a similar issues, but many of them are old dead threads now with no updates or fix. Tune and latest log posted for advice

The MAF isn't properly scaled above 5100hz so that can be disregarded. The MPVI2.2 wideband in the log can also be disregarded: The sensor is bad
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by l83; 12-07-2023 at 07:57 PM. Reason: more info

Tuning Addict
    Have hpt add in ECM 19532 for you. That'll be your best bet for your issues.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Have hpt add in ECM 19532 for you. That'll be your best bet for your issues.
    Can you give more explanation on this? I’m not extremely familiar

Tuning Addict
    It's pedal progression. You can use it combined with the torque model and DD tables to both close and open the throttle plate. Set the decel zones really negative in the DD and pedal progression tables and then add to the decel zone making it more positive on the airmass side of the torque model tables. I normally do 12 or 15 at a time on the torque model and then make the DD go into the -40's to -500's and the pedal progression up to -70's depeding on the TB and axle torque or engine torque referenced setup. You really need to read some sort of speed instead of just being 0 too that way it can reference the DD table correctly.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    I have table 19532 already in Engine > Torque Management > Driver Demand
    I appreciate it. I’m looking into what you mentioned and will test tomorrow

Tuning Addict
    I'd have to get my other computer out to have a new enough version of the editor to see it in yours then cause it's not in the earlier 5.1 version that I have on my normal one. That's OK. Either way you should have an idea on how to adjust things. You can make the positive values in that table a whole lot more positive to open the throttle. Don't make the idle or decel areas positive in the pedal table. It will rev on it's own if you do and it only takes a number like 2 or 3 to make it do that.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    It's pedal progression. You can use it combined with the torque model and DD tables to both close and open the throttle plate. Set the decel zones really negative in the DD and pedal progression tables and then add to the decel zone making it more positive on the airmass side of the torque model tables. I normally do 12 or 15 at a time on the torque model and then make the DD go into the -40's to -500's and the pedal progression up to -70's depeding on the TB and axle torque or engine torque referenced setup. You really need to read some sort of speed instead of just being 0 too that way it can reference the DD table correctly.
    Haven't had much luck with testing this today. Have made quite a few changes as you described but no better behavior. Possible that I'm doing it way wrong

And as far as VSS- it's working, but the issues I'm describing are when stationary. It's not safe to drive with the way it's self revving and hanging so I haven't, but VSS being at 0mph when stationary (correct) was the first step in ruling out VSS issues

Tuning Addict
    If it's self revving are your tip in torque limiters still stock? That table has numbers 0 through 9 depending on transmission used. I'll have to get my other computer and take a look at things. Post the latest log and tune file.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    Had to go to hpt website to get the latest beta to see the table so must have been added very recently. Give this one a try and let me know. Looks like you had tap increase maxed out. That won't help things. If you want the throttle snappier use the pedal table.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Had to go to hpt website to get the latest beta to see the table so must have been added very recently. Give this one a try and let me know. Looks like you had tap increase maxed out. That won't help things. If you want the throttle snappier use the pedal table.
    Sorry, I should've mentioned I was using the beta
    This file is better. It's still revving down slowly but there's a noticeable improvement. It didn't stay stuck above 3k like before. I have a log attached

I see what's changed in the file, but can you walk me through why? And if you have another revision I'd be more than happy to test. It was a huge relief to not hear the car revving up to 3500 by itself with no way to get it to come down

Tuning Addict
    I hate using this computer. Also don't like how they changed the editor layout You can give this one a try. It's using a different torque model that "should" close the throttle a little better and still work for a cam. Also changed other things.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    I just downloaded Beta 5.1.1971, wiped vehicle in HPtuners file, re-polled for supported parameters, then did a read entire. I still don't have the Pedal table...

What am i doing wrong not to see it?

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Landolt View Post
    I just downloaded Beta 5.1.1971, wiped vehicle in HPtuners file, re-polled for supported parameters, then did a read entire. I still don't have the Pedal table...

What am i doing wrong not to see it?
    You have to download from hpt's website. Won't show with the normal update. That was the mistake I made too.

Thinking about this more L83 - is the current posted calibration the original as read from the ECM and was the ECM flashed with TIS or did it just have a segment swap performed? It's just what you're describing as having problems with usually only happens if you're running the wrong DD and wrong Number reference for idle control. In other words did it originally have axle torque in the DD table and you switched it to engine torque??? That will act just like the problem you're having with it revving slow and coming down slow.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    [QUOTE=GHuggins;759581]You have to download from hpt's website. Won't show with the normal update. That was the mistake I made too.

I did pull it from the website..

I opened up the tune file in this thread just to see if I could see it there, and I can.

You had mentioned the layout looks different, whereas mine still looks the same.

Strange.......

Tuner in Training
    You have to download from hpt's website. Won't show with the normal update. That was the mistake I made too.

Thinking about this more L83 - is the current posted calibration the original as read from the ECM and was the ECM flashed with TIS or did it just have a segment swap performed? It's just what you're describing as having problems with usually only happens if you're running the wrong DD and wrong Number reference for idle control. In other words did it originally have axle torque in the DD table and you switched it to engine torque??? That will act just like the problem you're having with it revving slow and coming down slow.
    Original from the ECM except for the changes I made to get the engine idling with the cam/manifold/throttle body change. 2014 Sierra factory OS. No segment swap or anything extra. The idle issues I have are really similar to a lot of threads on here where people have done engine swaps but are unable to find a VSS solution. Everyone seems to jump ship from an automatic trans cal and move to a manual trans cal instead. I was trying to avoid all that as to not spend more money on licensing and another ECU, but if it comes to that

I haven't tested your last file yet but I will in about an hour

Tuning Addict
    [QUOTE=Landolt;759584]

I did pull it from the website..

I opened up the tune file in this thread just to see if I could see it there, and I can.

You had mentioned the layout looks different, whereas mine still looks the same.

Strange.......
    My normal tuning computer only has 5.1.430 on it as HPT changed the bit requirement on anything newer than that to require a 64bit OS on your computer. My other computer - the one I hate using is a Vectus and has the latest Beta. I noticed the latest beta has auto scrolls with the torque model tables being smaller I assume to fit more of them on a page but all it does is make it to where you have to constantly scroll them to look at the lowest and max numbers. Also in the DD section all of the tabs are stacked on top of one another instead of having them grouped into 4 like they were and when I tried to find the hpfp settings they weren't divided into 3 sections anymore and had been moved to the lower left quadrant. Don't personally like it. It was more uniform and easier to use before.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by l83 View Post
    Original from the ECM except for the changes I made to get the engine idling with the cam/manifold/throttle body change. 2014 Sierra factory OS. No segment swap or anything extra. The idle issues I have are really similar to a lot of threads on here where people have done engine swaps but are unable to find a VSS solution. Everyone seems to jump ship from an automatic trans cal and move to a manual trans cal instead. I was trying to avoid all that as to not spend more money on licensing and another ECU, but if it comes to that

I haven't tested your last file yet but I will in about an hour
    On all of the swaps I've done the auto cals worked just fine only they were paired with the auto trans. That's probably the whole problem. I'll ask my guy if there are some settings that can be changed to swap it to a manual without having to flash a manual OS.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    On all of the swaps I've done the auto cals worked just fine only they were paired with the auto trans. That's probably the whole problem. I'll ask my guy if there are some settings that can be changed to swap it to a manual without having to flash a manual OS.
    The auto trans stuff is more than likely the issue but I can't seem to find anything in the existing available maps that would allow me to change that. A comparison of an Auto/Manual file doesn't show me anything glaringly obvious that would cause this kind of behavior. And the Manual/Auto options in the Trans section don't seem to do anything right now

Here's a log of your second revision. It's better again, especially from idle to 2100 but still a bit slow above that. And WOT is limited to 4k- pedal is moving like it should but throttle was limited to the 30s for percent
    Last edited by l83; 12-09-2023 at 02:15 PM.

Tuning Addict
    You can try this for the rev, but Verlon said there were possibly hundreds of tables that differed to make it a manual and was about impossible to do that.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    You can try this for the rev, but Verlon said there were possibly hundreds of tables that differed to make it a manual and was about impossible to do that.
    No luck on this one. Almost the same behavior as the previous one
    Should I move to a Vette or Camaro Manual ECU? Or is there a segment swap available for this OS I have? I couldn't find anything because I'm not aware of any of this generation of truck having a manual trans