Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 silverado, are we able to tune them??

Would you be willing to post a file with mods?

Regards,
    DWC

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Assume that yes, if they wanted to they could see it. Why they would check the tune because of an oil leak I'm not sure.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    ...And that's the same with every company. EFI Live, HP Tuners, Edge, Hypertech, etc..etc...etc...

The law states you can do aftermarket upgrades to your rig. However, if the dealer finds those upgrades caused the damage, then you're SOL. Any tuner/programmer automatically voids all powertrain warranties. Even if you had it set on 'mileage', not 'extra power' mode. Now granted, every dealer will have their own take on this and how forgiving they are....

Thanks gents for the input, I’d assume my stealership would check just to void warranties and save cash

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
    I was just going to say this. So say if you blow up your motor and bring it in for warranty. They will go into the PCM and they can tell how long ago it was flashed last, too. If they notice ANY funny business, they will warranty block your rig. When this happens it's 100%, bumper to bumper, any dealer in the world will see it as well.
    No, it's not bumper to bumper. I voided my warranty on my 2010 Camaro the first day I had it...I turned off CAGS. My sunroof eventually got noisy and I took the car to the dealer and told them. They replaced the sunroof under warranty. When my stereo wasn't compatible with an iPod, I took it to them and they found the TSB to replace the PDIM module in the car, and they replaced it under warranty too. They're not stupid. They know what you've done, and they also know that what you've done isn't why your headlights stopped working, or the heated seat stopped heating...or the wipers stopped wiping, and they don't care...but if you blow the rear end up, they are well within their rights to say "sorry, you're pushing 40% more power through it than we built it to handle, it will cost this much to replace".

Wasn't this thread supposed to be about the ability to use the software on the 2014 DI trucks?
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Thanks for the info Mike, the tread is about tuning 2014’s and I am contemplating doing so. I know I’ll be looking across at a new Dodge Hemi one day and want to have all I can to challenge it. I’m not planning on upping the power levels to the point of breaking drivetrain parts, just want to make sure the tune is more power friendly. Running the new 2014 Silverado with CAI and E85 runs very good compared to the previous 5.3.
    Have you tuned a 2014?

Senior Tuner
    No I have not. I don't know anybody that owns one yet.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

I'll post before and after soon

Advanced Tuner
    Like Bill said, the new Global platform GM is using they will see if you tuned the ECM for sure, same thing with Hypertech and Diablo. Even though the CVn number matches, the even counter will show that ECM has been flashed, unless your VIN has a work order from the dealer where they flashed the ECM then GM will know that you flashed it and possibly deny you warranty coverage.

Believe me, as someone who is getting ready to order a Crew Cab Sierra with the All Terrain package and is coming from a tuned 2010 Sierra it bugs me to no end. I hate how GM dumbs the throttle down on the trucks compared to the Vette and Camaro. But I don't know if I am willing to run the risk on a brand new $50k truck of having the powertrain warranty killed off just to tune out the throttle response and shifts.

Tuner in Training
    I will chime in with the previously mentioned Ford end of things. I am a ford dealer technician, and using fords IDS (fords oem scan tool) and we can check to see if calibration ID number doesnt match up with Fords calibration ID available for said vehicle/vin number (for the aftermarket that reflashes pcm's for emission updates, repairs, etc). Now in saying that, from most of my experience with friends/customers vehicles (with no valid warranties) after the vehicle had been returned to stock, it appeared to be a Ford Calibration ID (non-noticeable that it had a tune in it either). When vehicles have come in with a tune installed in the PCM, you could see it was not a ford calibration ID.. has been like that sense early 2000's. Now mind you, I'll use a situation I've ran into once, where a 2012 5.0L mustang came in with a noticeable miss, ended up being cylinder 2 was low on compression, checked the pcm and found a non-ford calibration ID - voided Powertrain warranty only, bumper to bumper was still intact for those other repairs not related to the powertrain.. Now in saying all of this, I'm not saying you can flash a ford computer back to stock and return it for factory powertrain warranty when something fails and get away with it, I will not say it will work either, I'm just explaining from personal experience this is what I have seen..
    Bowtie Guy

If you give up a little liberty to gain a little security, you will deserve neither and loose both.

Potential Tuner
    I am a technician at a Gm dealer and have ran across this a few times with programming and engine failures. GM requires that the technician pull all calibration verification numbers (CVN) and email to gm powertrain for comparison to last known CVN. The way these number are viewed is broken down into 8 categories for non global vehicles. Main operating system, System, Fuel system, speedometer, engine diagnostic, engine operation, slave operating system, engine. Changes to any of the 3 operating systems, or system will most likely void part of your powertrain warranty. Fuel system, speedometer and engine diagnostic are most likely not going to void your warranty, and in my experience has not voided warranties in the past. GM only REQUIRES these numbers to be checked for ENGINE HARD PART FAILURE. GM RECOMMENDS these number be checked for trans, t-case, axle or catalytic convertor failures. Engine hard part means bottom end parts, we regularly replace cams and lifters without having to check programming. Every dealer is different but remember that they are all there to make money, no one at the dealer makes a dime over saying "sorry your warranty is void." At our dealer if you bring your car in with the engine blown up, we are forced by GM to pull the calibrations and our hands are tied. If you bring your car in and the rear axle is blown apart because you removed the torque management and where driving like an idiot, we will fix it the first time and let GM pay us, the second time, your on your own. If you want to do programming other than speedometer and deleting codes, then buy a new ecm and program it, retain your old one for warranty purposes. Sorry this probably won't work on camaros, since they are global architecture

Advanced Tuner
    Changing the ECM prob wont work on any of the new global vehicles. I am going to see how mod friendly my dealer is that I use, they used to not care as long as you were up front with them.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by trucklt1 View Post
    I am a technician at a Gm dealer and have ran across this a few times with programming and engine failures. GM requires that the technician pull all calibration verification numbers (CVN) and email to gm powertrain for comparison to last known CVN. The way these number are viewed is broken down into 8 categories for non global vehicles. Main operating system, System, Fuel system, speedometer, engine diagnostic, engine operation, slave operating system, engine. Changes to any of the 3 operating systems, or system will most likely void part of your powertrain warranty. Fuel system, speedometer and engine diagnostic are most likely not going to void your warranty, and in my experience has not voided warranties in the past. GM only REQUIRES these numbers to be checked for ENGINE HARD PART FAILURE. GM RECOMMENDS these number be checked for trans, t-case, axle or catalytic convertor failures. Engine hard part means bottom end parts, we regularly replace cams and lifters without having to check programming. Every dealer is different but remember that they are all there to make money, no one at the dealer makes a dime over saying "sorry your warranty is void." At our dealer if you bring your car in with the engine blown up, we are forced by GM to pull the calibrations and our hands are tied. If you bring your car in and the rear axle is blown apart because you removed the torque management and where driving like an idiot, we will fix it the first time and let GM pay us, the second time, your on your own. If you want to do programming other than speedometer and deleting codes, then buy a new ecm and program it, retain your old one for warranty purposes. Sorry this probably won't work on camaros, since they are global architecture
    x2 This is bang on, vouch as another GM tech and pcm swap will NOT work on any of the global platform.

Tuner
    When there is a will there is a way, no different than radar detectors and new radar technology. People are finally getting smarter and not posting everything on the net shooting themselves in the foot as much IMO.