Thread: Best ECU for turbo application

Best ECU for turbo application

This is a question for the turbo guys. If you are going to start from scratch and pick an ecu for a turbo setup, is there one that works better than others? I have not got to play much with the gen 4 ecu's much, just the E38 a little. I noticed is has controls for boost. When I was looking at the E38 it showed that no enhancements were available, is this correct? Or are the Gen 3 with 2 or 3 bar enhancements the way to go?

Custom OS is available for E38's.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

The E38 doesn't have the outputs to operate a solenoid for boost so far as I know. It is still an easy to work with platform though, and has a really fast data rate when compared to the older PCMs.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

So then what ECU's are you using or prefer to use for the turbo/boosted applications?

that would depend on youre motor 24 and 56 tooth crank wheel?
    97 k2500 ecsb 5.7l/4l80/4x4 0411 pcm,thorley tri-y's,true duals(no cats),msd ign.,zz4 cam, tuned with efi live

Starting from scratch so it don't matter!!!!

Senior Tuner
    E38/E67 are both great. I'd look for one of the newest versions of them from say 2010+ as they have higher injector flow rate and mass air flow limits, which make tuning a breeze...the newest OS's also have operating systems that allow you to scale the axes on the spark tables to offer full control into boost.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

The newer setups have the electronic throttle bodies. Any issues not closing at the end of a run with high boost, or can they be converted to cable? Anybody used both GEN3 and GEN4 to do the same thing but liked one over the other? Good info! Keep it coming!

Senior Tuner
    Can't run a cable throttle with any Gen 4 PCM, HOWEVER, the computer running the Copo Camaro (MEFI 6 I think) is actually the same hardware as an E67, but you can't tune it with HPTuners, you have to use the MEFI software.

I have not seen anyone with a throttle that won't close...only some with aftermarket throttle bodies that won't stay open.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

How do the GEN 3 with 2 or 3 bar OS compare to the GEN 4. For me the GEN 3 regular tunes are easier, but just because that's what I've messed with the most. You said the MAF is definitely easier in GEN 4 for boost, so what about the SD for boost?