Coming from a distributor based honda 4 cylinder car, i found it quite puzzling to find that the LE5 on the 06 cobalt only commands for 5* of ignition timing at idle through the idle range regardless of AC on or off. I consistently see rapid fluctuations between 4-6* while running the VCM scanner and i wasnt quite certain if this is just because of how fast the VCM records data or if it has something to do with one of the tables not matching that I am missing somehow.

Bigger question remains is could I stand to get any improvements in idle stability with or without ac by say raising the ignition timing at idle from 5* to say 7* or maybe even 10* (like most LSJ engines) or is it likely that it is directly proportional to the cam type in the LE5. Also would there be any benefit from raising the idle from 675 to say 700 or maybe even 725 to help give it a little extra power with the accessories (alternator and ac and power steering) when just sitting. As i notice these items place a decent strain on the motor when trying to use them, say turning the wheels while standing still and idling.

Obviously not really a high priority item to tune, but the fine tuning over stock just makes for a smoother running car IMO. Just not sure if I should bother with the effort. In contrast my B18 in my old honda ran 18* of ignition timing at idle but that was a distributor based system.