Thread: Ecotec 2.4 into older Mitsubishi

Ecotec 2.4 into older Mitsubishi

After having sold most of my Gen 3 V8 swapped cars, I'm looking into another swap. This will tentatively involve a 2006 2.4L NA Ecotec from a G6 and I'm planning to add an aftermarket turbo & larger injectors to it. I'll use either the Solstice/Sky MA5 manual trans or the one from the Colorado depending on how far back the shifter sits. I see on the supported vehicle page the transmission is not supported by HPT. I'm leaning towards HPT vs Megasquirt since I already have the HPT SW from my other swaps.

I plan on using a VCM & harness from a 2007 Solstice GXP (2.0L turbo Ecotec). It appears quite a bit is interchangeable on these engines, just like the Gen 3 V8s I am used to.

Any red flags with this concept of using the 2007 turbo PCM on the 2006 converted NA engine? I read about a weak rod issue in the 2008+ engines, so I want to avoid those.

Thanks for any tips or advice while I'm researching this.
    Currently (2020) swapping an LM4 5.3 and an older 4L80 into a Dodge Durango. My prior projects include Chevy Gen 1 V8 into an FB RX-7, Gen 3 V8s into an FC RX-7, a MK3 Supra, a BMW E34, and an LT1 into a 280Z. Still have the Datsun, a 383 LT4 Trans Am, and some bikes.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Yea big problem the 2.4 has smpfi and the turbo harness has direct injection. Those injectors are window based on times and have a 24v coil driver. You cannot use the turbo harness and ecu on the 2.4. I highly recommend finding a 2006-7 2.4 harness/ecu it will have more parameters you can control making life way easier.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 08-16-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks for the info. I found a build thread where someone is doing what I want to do with the 2.4L, so I will follow up with him.
    Currently (2020) swapping an LM4 5.3 and an older 4L80 into a Dodge Durango. My prior projects include Chevy Gen 1 V8 into an FB RX-7, Gen 3 V8s into an FC RX-7, a MK3 Supra, a BMW E34, and an LT1 into a 280Z. Still have the Datsun, a 383 LT4 Trans Am, and some bikes.

I have lots of information for you PM me a phone number and we can talk about it.

I'm on the traveling for work so I dont have time to type aout all the info you need at this time.

--Christian

My phone has limited time & signal. I think I can find what I'm looking for via the other builder. Thanks for the offer.