Thread: 4L80E Shift firmness

Tuner in Training

4L80E Shift firmness

I'm trying to firm up the shifts on the 4L80E in my swap truck. It shifts very nicely when in SD mode but as soon as I re-enable the MAF it loses the firmness - I assume due to the line pressure following the tables?
    I'm hesitant to add too much shift pressure as I don't know what's safe/not, this is the first -80E I've messed with but it'd sure be nice if this thing would shift somewhat firm.

Does anybody have any input?

Combo:
    LQ4
    243 heads
    Tick cam
    FAST 90/LS2 90
    Revmax 3700
    Here is the current tune:

Truck - MAF 10.hpt
    68 Charger R/T - #'s matching 440/auto car, 499/727/3.91.
    71 SWB C10 - S488/LQ4/billet 4L80E.
    80 Scout Traveler - L92/6L80E, SOA/35's

Tuner
    Can you copy the Performance tables over to the Normal tables?
    1997 Black Curse SEi, 4th Engine, 2nd trans.
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4.3L
    2002 Chevrolet S-10 LS 5.7L

Senior Tuner
    When you're in SD mode, it's shifting at max line pressure all the time (there's a setting you can change so it won't do that). That means your full throttle shifts that should already be at max pressure probably feel the same, but your part throttle shifts feel much firmer in SD mode.

When I had 4L80E truck, I copied the line pressure tables from performance mode (tow/haul mode) over, and then increased them a little from there, I also decreased the shift time a little bit and it wound up shifting very nicely.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

I haven't seen a max line pressure DTC enabled since 2001. The newer trucks don't have that table, and I just did a SD tune on a 2007 6L truck with the Gen III pcm and no shift pressure issues. On the older vehicles with the max pressure DTC enabled, in SD mode with stock shift pressures, the trans shifts are very hard.

As for the shift pressures, first 0 the the 100 psi column of the force motor table and change the max pressure field to 96 (stock is 90). Then starting with the stock shift table highlight the 0 ft lb column & enter 0 if not already 0 stock. Now highlight the 640 ft lb column and enter 20, then click the left upper corner and click interpolate between horizontal bounds. Copy the table, then undo all changes (make sure the table is back to stock). Next highlight the table > paste special > add. So now you added 0 psi at 0 ft lbs, and 20 at 640 ft lbs (note that the editor will normally limit the pressure to 96). If firmer shifts are desired, then instead of the 0-20 psi method, go in 0-10 psi increments until the desired firmness is reached. On most A4 trans, I firm up the 3-4 shift more than the 1-2 & 3-3. On the 4L60-70 trans that I install the Vette 2-4 servo, less 1-2 shift pressure is needed.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 09-17-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Russ,
    I'm tuning a 05 Silverado 6.0 4L80 and the scanner shows a loss of spark between shifts, any help would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    DWC

Quote Originally Posted by DWC View Post
    Russ,
    I'm tuning a 05 Silverado 6.0 4L80 and the scanner shows a loss of spark between shifts, any help would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    DWC
    Ok, on your truck the Torque Reduction> Normal table is zeroed as stock. So what I do is go to Torque Management>General>Spark Retard>vs Torque Reduction and to reduce the upshift torque reduction by 50%, multiply this table by .5. If you want no upshift torque reduction, then 0 this table.

Russ Kemp

I'll post the tune and a scan this afternoon, already have this table @ zero sir. Thanks for getting back with me.

DWC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post

As for the shift pressures, first 0 the the 100 psi column of the force motor table

Russ Kemp

What does this do? My force motor table is scaled normal except for the 100 column it has 1245 in it. I have no shift issues just trying to gain knowledge. Is that basically not allowing it to command 100 for line pressure?

04 Sierra Denali,370,S485B, Built 4L80E, 3barOLSD, E85

Quote Originally Posted by 03Sierraslt View Post
    What does this do? My force motor table is scaled normal except for the 100 column it has 1245 in it. I have no shift issues just trying to gain knowledge. Is that basically not allowing it to command 100 for line pressure?
    That is so the force motor won't drop the line pressure if more than 96 psi shift pressure is requested. You don't scale the force motor table as it can cause a P0748 code.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 09-17-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I guess I should reword that, my table is untouched. I just the numerical values decreased across except for the last 100 column.

04 Sierra Denali,370,S485B, Built 4L80E, 3barOLSD, E85

Quote Originally Posted by 03Sierraslt View Post
    I guess I should reword that, my table is untouched. I just the numerical values decreased across except for the last 100 column.
    Ok, still not the right way in firm up the shifts. Just follow my procedure, very easy to do. Plus you can firm up the individual shifts.

Russ Kemp