Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $75 to whoever can solve my turbo TBSS problem

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blkws6 View Post
    Thanks for the info Mike, I've been working on dialing in the MAF only, this week, and finally started to ease into boost today. Started rich of course and leaned out to where I wanted it.

But low and behold once I got into some decent boost, it still did the Bank 1 sputtering thing (particularly in 3rd). So I'm bald now, from pulling my hair out. lol
    And as before, it runs fine in 1st and 2nd, so I was able finish tuning the MAF through the full range. After I finished it, I re-enabled the MAP sensor (VE already tuned), and the sputtering problem still persisted.

Any more suggestions/ideas? Anyone know of a GOOD tuner in GA?
    Usually once you start making good power, you can't really use first and second gear to dial it in...it'll result in problems in third and fourth.

Try disabling closed loop completely, reset your fuel trims, and see if the pulsewidth split and sputtering goes away.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    Usually once you start making good power, you can't really use first and second gear to dial it in...it'll result in problems in third and fourth.

Try disabling closed loop completely, reset your fuel trims, and see if the pulsewidth split and sputtering goes away.
    Thanks Mike I'll give it a shot.

DStech: I'll try pull the abs also.

10_ss: Yeah I have known about the pulsewidth split, but I'm pretty sure I have encountered the sputtering several times, in which it the PW did NOT split. So I think it's a symptom and not the cause.

I pulled the driver side valve cover this morning and found no problems. I used a mirror to look for cracked springs, but found none.
    Do any of you think that this whole thing could be some serious valve float? Maybe the builder forgot to change out springs on the driver side head?
    1999 Silverado, 383ci iron block forged stroker, 76mm turbo, 4l80e, A1000 etc
    737rwhp @16psi 926rwhp @25 psi
    Sold 2007 TBSS 408ci forged stroker, 76mm turbo, etc
    626rwhp @13psi
    Sold 1999 WS6 Trans Am 346ci, Procharger, Mahle pistons & rods, stage 5 RPM T56, Moser 12 bolt, Walbro, etc
    615rwhp @ 14psi

Quote Originally Posted by blkws6 View Post
    Thanks Mike I'll give it a shot.

DStech: I'll try pull the abs also.

10_ss: Yeah I have known about the pulsewidth split, but I'm pretty sure I have encountered the sputtering several times, in which it the PW did NOT split. So I think it's a symptom and not the cause.

I pulled the driver side valve cover this morning and found no problems. I used a mirror to look for cracked springs, but found none.
    Do any of you think that this whole thing could be some serious valve float? Maybe the builder forgot to change out springs on the driver side head?

Well.. your Injector split is a major problem, and probably the reason your "sputtering". INjectors control the amount of fuel in the engine. There is no reason for this split that I can think of. The scanner is reporting that one side is way off from the other above ~9psi so naturally it will run weird since 1/2 of the engine is getting a completely different amount of fuel than the other half.

These v8's are split up into two sides... B1 = bank 1 (left side, or right side, I forget). B2 = the other side. two different fueling tables basically, each side (set of 4 cylinders) are controlled by the LTFT fuel trim when your not in PE.. are making adjustments to the entire bank separately from the other side (B2). When you enter PE... the LTFT is somewhat suppose to lock/freeze and carry over into the PE if it's adding fuel (positive fuel trims). In this case above 100kpa, but for some reason one of your banks are wandering away from the other one for no reason above what looks like ~9psi... you need to fix that.

Take a look at the attached pic. This is how your injectors should look during WOT. This is my WOT... I max at about 9psi, lower than you. I circled them in yellow, but there are two lines... GOld and Red... they appear to be only one line because the Gold overlays the red line perfectly.

I cannot think of one reason why you would have such a split starting where it does since only lean LTFT (positive % LTFT) usually apply to the entire curve in PE... but your LTFT are disabled anyway... (0%).

You need to fix this. Or take it to a pro, and show him the split, and have him fix it.

Then send me $75

INjector_PW_WOT.JPG
    Last edited by 10_SS; 09-13-2013 at 04:14 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Advanced Tuner
    pcm?
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Tuner
    You guys aren't gonna believe this! PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I pulled the ABS fuse like DStech suggested, and the sputtering vanished! I even put the fuse back in, and it still doesn't sputter. It's like there was some crazy glitch in the ABS system that just needed to be reset. idk

Thank you DStech! Message me with how/where you want me to send you $75. I appreciate everyones input!

Now for the bad: On my 3rd heavy throttle pull (after the problem was fixed) my 4L70E gave out. Always something
    Guess it's time for a 4l80E swap.
    626rwhp @13psi
    Sold 1999 WS6 Trans Am 346ci, Procharger, Mahle pistons & rods, stage 5 RPM T56, Moser 12 bolt, Walbro, etc
    615rwhp @ 14psi

Tuner in Training
    I'm interested in the WHY it fixed it if some light can be shed on that.

Donate that $75 to a charity. I'll pick one if you can't decide.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post

Nice..... Hope it happens...
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Tuner
    Got one in mind?
    626rwhp @13psi
    615rwhp @ 14psi

Not really. Make A Wish foundation is a good one.

Tuner
    Not really. Make A Wish foundation is a good one.
    http://wish.org/ways-to-help/giving/...fc58ba3854279e

Thanks again!!!
    626rwhp @13psi
    615rwhp @ 14psi

Good deal!