Thread: Troubles changing OS from 99 to 02

Tuner

Troubles changing OS from 99 to 02

I have the lisc. for 99 and 02 Trucks.
    1. I read entire 99 stock VCM and saved.
    2. I did an entire re write 02 to the 99.
    3. I try to start (99) and it runs for 1-2 sec. and quits.
    4. Pull up scanner DTC's = P1631 Theft Deterant Start Enable Not Correct, (not SES Enabled) 2. No MIL light.
    5. I put the original 99 back in and starts right up.
    I cannot get the 99 to accept 02 OS.
    Now when I try to read the 99 with it's orig. stock tune,
    I get to Validating Liscense and the Vin# changes to all y's, VL says failed(in Red) and under #6 Validating Integrity it says 99 Corvette????

Do I need to purchase the 1 bar SD?
    Can I change the DTC to SES or change error mode?

PS I never lost power to the PC, The truck runs fine.

Chris

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    VATS relink?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Use the change VIN feature found in the Flash menu of the VCM Editor program to fix your VIN.

Tuner
    Thanks, I'll Try changing the VIN to the 99 #.
    I think I did try that, but it told me the VIN and OS did not match.
    For Future Re: to do a VATS relink, Do I do relink before or after doing complete rewrite?
    Should I need to do VATS relink?

Chris

vats relink is done afterward, only if required...

You need to give the OS a VIN that is compatable. You cannot give an OS that was found in the 99 year a VIN that is an 02 based VIN.

Tuner
    *Update*
    Hooked up and read VIN# that was currently in VCM in Editor/Flash/change VIN under current it showed VIN#yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy which = 99 Chevy Corvette
    So I Re-entered Correct 99 VIN#
    Everything seems to be OK, Truck has original Stock VCM Flash and now starts every time. (Was only running 1-2 sec. and quitting)

1. I will take my stock 02 and do a complete Re-write of the 99 VCM with the 02 OS(Lisc. for 99&02 I have)
    2. Once Flash is completed, /Editor/Flash/Change VIN enter "new VIN" = 02 VIN #.??

Thanks for the Help.
    Chris

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blucreek
    *Update*
    Hooked up and read VIN# that was currently in VCM in Editor/Flash/change VIN under current it showed VIN#yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy which = 99 Chevy Corvette
    So I Re-entered Correct 99 VIN#
    Everything seems to be OK, Truck has original Stock VCM Flash and now starts every time. (Was only running 1-2 sec. and quitting)

1. I will take my stock 02 and do a complete Re-write of the 99 VCM with the 02 OS(Lisc. for 99&02 I have)
    2. Once Flash is completed, /Editor/Flash/Change VIN enter "new VIN" = 02 VIN #.??

Thanks for the Help.
    Chris
    You can not use your 99 Vin with the 02 calibration ... pretty much screwed if the VIN needs to be checked while you have the 02 calibration installed. But I do understand why, from HPT point of view.

Tuner
    Correct, No VIN checks here, just trying to get to the point of tuning 99 in SD w/ 02 OS.
    I was confused on the VIN deal, I tried to put 99 VIN in after completely writing in 02, but got error Re: matching VIN & OS.
    I now know after flashing with 02 OS, when I open Flash Menu/change VIN, the VIN # of the last OS Flashed to VCM will apear. Copy that VIN # and paste into new VIN# and commit.????

Chris

Tuner
    Different 99 Truck
    1. Saved 99 file (complete Read)
    2. Did a complete Rewrite to the 99 with my 02 bin.
    3. Went to flash menu/change VIN. While opened it shows the 02 Vin as the old Vin and the new vin box was blank so I entered the 02 vin (same as above box), hit commit and it said vin change complete. I followed the steps for changing the vin w/ the 30 sec. on/off x4 method.
    4. When attempting to start it runs for 2 sec. and shuts off. While reading the following DTC's -1631 Theft Deterent Start enable not correct and- 1638 Generator F Terminal Circuit.
    5. So I do a Write Vin/Tunerlock/Vats
    6. Same results ....
    7. I take the stock 99 file and do a complete rewrite, and the truck starts right up.
    8. I do a complete re write of the 02 .bin to the 99 truck. Since the 02 Vin already shows up when trying to change the Vin I leave it be and attempt to start with no luck.
    Where am I going wrong?
    Both the 99 and 02 have "Serial" selected under VATS Do these need to be changed?

Chris

you need to actually do the VATS relink and save the file before the flash. In 1.7 it is under Pro Tuner Functions, in 2.0 VATS relink doesn't require reflash.

You can also go to System, General and set VATS to none.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner
    1. With 99 sitting stock, open editor w/ 02 file.
    2 Do a VATS Relink, and save 02 file as...
    3. Completely rewrite 99 w/ 02(vats relinked) OS
    4 Tune away in SD......

Thanks for the help, I will be trying soon hope to have positive results

Chris

Advanced Tuner
    Is it just me or are there quite a few Chris' on this board? lol sorry off topic.....

Chris
    2009 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L, stock.

Tuner
    After preparing my 02 OS for the 99 I hook up to the 99.
    Read entire VCM and save.
    Do VATS/Tunerlock/Vin Write. Save.
    When attempting to do a complete re-write of the VCM I make it to the second line and FAILED. While in progress I can see the BCC reads yyyy as well as the VCM ID reads yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy(Which registers under a 99 F body which contain yy)close.
    So I pull down the change VIN, the current VIN comes up as yyyyyyyyyyyyy.
    Under VCM suite info/ info Everything shows OK until you get down to OS ID = yyyyyyyyyyy and the BCC reads as yyyy
    However under calibration Details it shows the correct VIN, OS ID and BCC.

While hooked up to the 99 with no .bin open I pull down VCM Suite info and OS ID and BCC both show as yyyyyyyyyyy.
    OPen original stock 99 .bin
    Open change vin, current VIN reads as yyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, for the "new VIN" I enter the correct VIN for the 99 and committ........... successful. close.
    Open change vin, current VIN reads correct vin #
    But when I pull down VCM Suite Info, it still reades all "y's" for the OS ID and BCC.
    Under Calibration details it reads the correct OS ID and BCC.

For $hits and giggles, I hooked up to my 02 under editor/VCM suite Info, all of my info appears correctly.
    I am also going to hook up to another 99(stock) and see if I can read it OK?

For some reason I am hoping it is in the cable/software for the 99 trucks I recently added. Same prob. as previous attempt to tune a 99 using 02 OS

Using 2.0.17 1

Chris
    Last edited by blucreek; 02-21-2006 at 02:34 PM.

Tuner
    updated to 2.1, Problem Solved!

Changing 99 Silverado OS to 2002 Silverado. Both trucks are 5.3L Auto 4x4 VATS= Serial. Using HPT version 2.1.0.0 note: you must be liscensed for both year/models.

Using the original file saved from 2002 truck (bone stock), I connected to the 99.
    Using Editor/Flash menu I read the Entire 1999 VCM and save. I then copied the Primary VE table from the 99 and paste to the 2002 Primary VE table, save as. After the file has been saved, under Flash menu choose Write Entire. After the flash is complete, under Flash menu choose, VATS Relink.
    You should now be ready to SD tune the 99 with the 2002 OS.
    Thanks to HPT for the technical support I recieved while performing this switch of OS.

Chris