Thread: 04 LB7 problems

Tuner in Training

04 LB7 problems

Was wandering if someone has a good tow tune for 04 LB7 tune. I tried the 20/20 tune on the sticky at the top of the page. Problem is I don't have any of the settings in my ECM because the tune is for a 06 LBZ. Have only tuned gas engines with HP Tuners and don't know much about diesel.

I use to get 21MPG with a Edge/Attitute chip. The chip started causing all kinds of problems. Truck was dying in the middle of an intersection and would not restart. I would have to get out and unplug chip and put back to stock. I was getting all kinds of fuel codes coming up so I pulled the chip off. So now that the truck is stock I had injectors replaced about 10,000 miles ago. I cant get over 11 MPG pulling a 5000 lb trailer. on average its more like 10.3MPG. Truck has a 6 inch lift with 315/75R16 tires I tried recalculating for tire size but nothing seems to change the speedo. Cant find an actual tire size in the speedo settings like a gas motor. So long story short the truck runs like crap and gets even worse fuel mileage. Ever since I plugged the HP Tuners into the truck it has never been right. I have saved my original read and have uploaded that back in the truck with no performance gain. So my question is can the program get screwed up and I just need a good tune to get my truck back to where it should be. I was considering ordering another chip but I have the money tied up in HP Tuners so I might as well use it if I can figure it out. Also truck has K&N cold air intake and Banks 4" exhaust. Any help is greatly appreciated. Truck has 78K miles on it currently so should just be getting broke in.

Tuner in Training
    here is the current tune if anyone can take a look at it and see if they find a problem
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sounds like you might have other issues based on your other post regarding injector balance rates.
    I can't help with that, but I can with the speedo adjust.
    For the speedo you need to do some simple calculations.
    Check your roll-out in inches
    Mark the tire & ground
    Rotate one or two revolutions(divide that value in inches by 2 if you do 2 revs) then mark the ground where the tire mark makes it’s 1st or 2nd revolution.
    Here’s the math on how to do the speedo rescale
    VSS Tire Revs per= inches in a mile(63360)/tire circumference inches
    Trans. Revs per= VSS Tire Revs per * gear ratio
    VSS pulses per= Trans. Revs per*Rev-Trans value (40 in most cases)
    I’ll use my tire size of 285/75/16 which has a diameter of around 32 inches,
    I measured the rollout to be 101 inches
    My gear ratio is 3.73
    VSS Tire revs 63360*101=627.33
    Trans. Revs 627.33*3.73=2339.93
    VSS pulses 2339.93*40=93,597
    So in my case I went to Speedometer/General/General VSS Pulses per/Mile=93,597
    Speedometer/General/VSS Tire Revs per/Dist – Trans=627.33

Here is the 20/20 tune for a LB7
    Go to Engine/Fuel/Diesel/Injector PW/Main PW
    H ighlight the whole table and multiply by 1.2(20% increase)
    Do the same for Main PW (No Pilot)
    Now for timing the old way was to go to Engine/Fuel/Diesel/Base Injector Timing/Base Low
    Highlight the whole table and copy it, the go to Base Med and Base High and paste to both.
    Then open the Base High and highlight 600 to 1000 rpm and 0 to 25 mm3 and change to zero
    That will help to keep it a little less noisy.
    Or the new better way is follow the instructions for the Injector Timing Calc spreadsheet found on this site.
    Boost adjustment for the LB7 has to be done mechanically as it does not have the variable vane turbo.
    This is the simple form, any adjustments are done at your own risk.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the help I actually found another post where you explained the tire calculations. I did them and my speedo ran the same as what my phone said so that is solved. Thank you very much.

I am getting frustrated with the other issue as it doesn't do it all the time. Tried to duplicate the test and can't get it to duplicate now. Everything is within spec so I can't diagnose the problem now. Thing that gets me is I don't have fuel in my oil and don't have excess smoke at idle just crap fuel mileage. Thanks for the help though

Tuner in Training
    Ok just did a tune the way you said above the old way and now I'm gonna make one with the new timing calculator spreedsheet. I have a home made boost valve (barbed hose splice brazed shut and drilled small hole in the waste gate hose) do I still need to change something in the settings cause my boost is still at 22lbs max? Or I have a boost T I could put in and adjust the boost by the knob if that would work better. Also do you recommend dropping the 20/20 tune down to like 10/10 for pulling a 7000lb trailer? If I do a 10/10 do I multiply by 1.1 for 10%. Sorry for all the dumb questions just don't want to screw anything up just yet. Lol

A great way to learn is to use the compare feature in HPT and compare a PPE tune or similar to the stock tune. PPE adds a lot of timing, which makes it accelerate much better, but it will rip the guts out of the tranny if you pull heavy with it tuned like that.
    2006 LBZ Duramax
    5" Magnaflow turbo-back
    EGR blocked
    HP Tuned by yours truly

Tuner in Training
    So do I need to purchase a PPE tuner or find someone with one and read it or?

I would put the boost T in and try to get the pressure higher this will help keep EGT lower while towing, you do have a pyrometer right?
    Try the 20/20 just keep an eye on your EGT's, if it gets to hot bump it down 15/15, 10/10
    For 10/10 multiply by 1.1 for 15/15 by 1.15 or whatever combination you want to use.

here is a link to the Diesel Place and a post about PPE boost valve
    http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/3-p...ost-valve.html
    Read post #4

Try this one out
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2006 LBZ Duramax
    5" Magnaflow turbo-back
    EGR blocked
    HP Tuned by yours truly

Tuner in Training
    I am going to try all this info out as soon as I get done hunting. Thanks for all the help guys I am learning a ton from you.