Thread: 2005 Impala 3400-3800 PCM Question (BIN swap?)

Tuner in Training

2005 Impala 3400-3800 PCM Question (BIN swap?)

I apologize for such a loaded question in advance, but I can not seem to get a definitive answer....

I am in the process of swapping the tired 3.4L out for a 3.8L Supercharged L67. The mechanics of the swap are obviously pretty standard, as this engine was an available option for my model year and chassis.

My problem is with the PCM....

In my state, in order to pass the emissions inspection, the vin number of the chassis needs to match the vin of the PCM, so just swapping a 3.8L PCM is out of the question.

Is it feasible to have the BIN file swapped on my tune for the 2005 L67 tune, therefore retaining my factory PCM and VIN? I would imagine this is a feasible option, then I would just need to source a 2004-2005 3.8L engine harness correct?

Thanks
    Brandon

Senior Tuner
    You would need to use a Tuner Tool that allows this type action.
    Unfortunately we can not with HPTuners as it will break the Vin/OS licencing strategy that they use.

Tuner in Training
    Ok...maybe I am missing something.

I understand the whole "Vin Licensing" strategy....

However...I am going from one GM v6 to another GM v6. I get that both use a different vin number/ rpo code which would affect the licensing....but why cant the binary code be swapped into the 3.4L tune effectivley leaving the actual vin number unaltered?

Realistrically....I have no problem even pinning the 3.8L harness into the 3.4L PCM if I could have the PCM accept the 3.8L crank signal.

-Both engines are sequential fuel injected v6s
    -Both engines use 2 crank sensor signals (3x/7x for 3.4 3x/18x for 3.8), and 1 cam sensor signal
    -Both use the same iginition coil system

...so again....is this conversion possible?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bfurches View Post
    I apologize for such a loaded question in advance, but I can not seem to get a definitive answer....

I am in the process of swapping the tired 3.4L out for a 3.8L Supercharged L67. The mechanics of the swap are obviously pretty standard, as this engine was an available option for my model year and chassis.

My problem is with the PCM....

In my state, in order to pass the emissions inspection, the vin number of the chassis needs to match the vin of the PCM, so just swapping a 3.8L PCM is out of the question.

Is it feasible to have the BIN file swapped on my tune for the 2005 L67 tune, therefore retaining my factory PCM and VIN? I would imagine this is a feasible option, then I would just need to source a 2004-2005 3.8L engine harness correct?

Thanks
    Brandon
    Sorry to bother but I would like to know what all you had to do for the 3.4 to 3.8 supercharged swap

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    You could try contacting support to see if they even possibly could do a segment swap or something between the two OS's to allow your 3.4L PCM access to the supercharger controls and the ability to read boost like the SS 3.8L PCM does. The worst option of course, would be to get the 3.8L tune nailed down to where you will be happy with it forever without making vehicle or engine changes anymore, and then commit the incorrect VIN to it. But then you obviously couldn't change anything you saw later in your tune or make adjustments for any more performance parts unless you found another SS 3.8L PCM to violate once more. Another option still just as weird, there used to be a guy on here that would make a switch setup for using two PCM's for switchable tunes. You could switch to the violated un-tunable PCM exclusively for inspections, and then switch back to your tunable PCM the rest of the time when nobody cares what your unmatched chassis/PCM VIN status is.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 03-25-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Was there every any resolve for this?

In a similar situation. I have a 3400 in a vehicle and swapping in a L36 NA 3800, but want to use the stock 3400 PCM because it has some other functions the 3800 PCM would not accept. Specifically AWD pinout. Both drive trains are out of '04's

I also know the 3800 has an EGR while the 3400 doesn't, so want to make sure that is accepted into the 3400 PCM and read.

Maybe the correct / easier approach would be have the 3800 PCM accept the AWD pinout and code?

Sounds like this will be more difficult than originally thinking.
    Last edited by LoneWolf04; 08-14-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf04 View Post
    Was there every any resolve for this?

In a similar situation. I have a 3400 in a vehicle and swapping in a L36 NA 3800, but want to use the stock 3400 PCM because it has some other functions the 3800 PCM would not accept. Specifically AWD pinout. Both drive trains are out of '04's

I also know the 3800 has an EGR while the 3400 doesn't, so want to make sure that is accepted into the 3400 PCM and read.

Maybe the correct / easier approach would be have the 3800 PCM accept the AWD pinout and code?

Sounds like this will be more difficult than originally thinking.
    What vehicle is this for ???

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBoostBuick View Post
    What vehicle is this for ???
    The end vehicle will be an '04 Aztek AWD. The stock PCM has control over the rear AWD control valve and also IPC error messages for the AWD over class 2 data. Stock OS is 12584939. Plan is keeping the trans with the 3.69 final drive ratio. Sprocket ratio is .892.

The donor vehicle is an '04 Imapala with an L36 3800. Stock OS is 12585089.

Goal is transfer the Impala harness and engine into the Aztek. The hangup is how to either get the AWD control in the Impala PCM, which would seem the easiest. Have someone write a custom OS, basically start with the impala OS and then merge in the AWD info from the Aztek PCM. The AWD pin location is not used in the Impala pinout, which is good.

Other option would be keep the Aztek PCM and would still need a custom OS to change the ignition in Aztek PCM to accept the crank signal to 18x for the 3800, and then change some pin location from the 3800 harness as OP was suggesting.
    Last edited by LoneWolf04; 08-19-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Potential Tuner
    has anyone figured this out yet? i'm swapping an L67 into an 02 minivan that had a 3.4. i have the pinouts for both and have all that covered, i need to know if theres a way to have the 3.4 pcm run the 3.8. when i open up both the 3.4 and a 02 regal gs L67 tunes they dont even show the os like the LS trucks i usually mess with. i know they have different firing orders and crank signals so where could i even change any of that? I dont see any of that in the tunes, or can i get a pcm from a 3.8 car, disable the VATS and be able to run the 3.8 like that. or will the bcm go crazy?

Potential Tuner
    LoneWolf04. I think I've talked to you about your project before.
    I'm building the 3800SC Asstek. If you could post/send me your Hpt aztek file I'd like to look at it.
    After re pinning the 3400 harness for the 3800, my 3400 ecm would run the engine.
    Only a crank miss match was in the codes. No misfires. I like distractions