Thread: ATTN: soundengineer! Fooling the ECM w/ a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor?

ATTN: soundengineer! Fooling the ECM w/ a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor?

I was reading one of 5litreeaters post and found Soundingineers comments interesting about using a 2bar or 3bar MAP on a SC combo!!

So lets see if I understand this right! We can basically fool the ecm to believe it is only seeing 1/2 resolution with a 2 bar map and 1/3 resolution with a 3 bar map! So lets say I use a 2bar MAP and it reads 95 kpa which in reallity is 190 kpa or for a 3bar MAP it reads the same which would actually be 285 kpa. so bassically not really needing a 2 or 3 bar enhancement (which is SD only) enableing us to keep the MAF?
    "A wise man once said that it is better to remain silent and appear ignorant, rather than speak and remove doubt".

The above post also reminded me of something else! I have built and tuned the old Ford EECIV systems for years, and have been able to use blow through MAF's in order to more acurately tune the in SC'd combos. Is there a MAF that we can use that is blow through in order to tune the LSx cars more acurately (IE: one that doese not peg out like the factory unit!)
    "A wise man once said that it is better to remain silent and appear ignorant, rather than speak and remove doubt".

you can fool the PCM...its not very easy to tune that way..but it can be done...
    can you still use the MAF??? depends on how much air you're pushing...
    most cars max out the MAF with just a couple of pounds of boost..you kind of get screwed there....
    you could do some experimenting and replace the resistors currently on the MAF with a different value...that would make it report less frequency(HZ) and then not max out the MAF..

IF I could find a donor MAF to screw with I would consider taking on this task myself....but my MAF has been gone for a long time...
    I think the other issue with the MAF is that the Factory table maxes out at 512g/sec....
    at which point you have no choice but to go to an SD tune if you want to keep proper fueling without guessing in the dark

and honestly..it really sucks to tune a SC with 2 bar needs on a 1 bar system...I helped my buddy do it....and I suggested that he gat a 2 bar SD enhancement instead....
    FWIW..he fought the tune for about 3 weeks before getting it close....
    I could have gotten it completely done in about 8 hours or less with a 2 bar SD enhancement
    Last edited by S2H; 01-03-2006 at 11:15 AM.
    -Scott -