Thread: HPTuners on MS Surface?

Tuner in Training

HPTuners on MS Surface?

Since windows 8 seems to now be supported per the HPtuners website, has any testing been done on the Windows 8 Surface tablets? If not is there any plan?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I believe our software designer has used it on his ST without issue.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I believe our software designer has used it on his ST without issue.
    Is it possible to Save/load tunes to and from the ST to a vehicle? or just do the monitoring?

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, remember there are 2 very different Surface tablets (same goes for the upcoming Surface 2 line). Surface RT/Surface 2 (ARM) and Surface Pro/Surface 2 Pro (x86). I do not believe HPTuners will work on the Surface RT or Surface 2 as they are ARM based and do not run any native Windows programs. Surface Pro and Surface 2 Pro should be just fine for running HPTuners and doing any function you can do on a regular laptop/desktop.

Bill, if I'm wrong on the ARM version please let me know and Ill update this post.
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; 10-14-2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: clarity
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the Answer Scarab.. looks like it might be a better option to just get something like an inspiron 11 ultra book. Something cheap and light that is a normal laptop. i just need it to load tunes

Advanced Tuner
    Scarab is right. Any Windows tablet that runs the full version of Windows 8 (NOT RT) will work. I just recently picked up an Acer tablet on clearance and I use it for tuning pretty regularly. Just make sure you have a USB port that will work. I had to get an adapter for the Micro USB port on mine.

Bummer. Just bought an RT and see that it treats everything like an app. Any chance of an app soon????? Or I'll just keep using my old laptop.
    Old Car 2008 HHR SS Auto
    GMTU, TTR Solid Engine Mount and 1" Sway Bar.

Now 2013 Sonic RS Turbo
    DDMWorks Intake, ZZP Rear Sway Bar.

1972 Chevy Pickup
    L48 350 Holley 650, Weiand Alum Intake Manifold Water Pump and Pulley, Hot cam, 12 Bolt, Headers, Hurst Shifter.

Tuner in Training
    Company just bought us new Surface 2's. Said they were the next laptops. Any thought on an app? or something so they can be used?
    Really love the Surface, just wish I could use HPT on it. Just my opinion.

Won't run on the RT but I run it on my Pro all the time.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    Well shoot. They already issued them to us. They are the basic Surface 2. Not Pro.
    Any other options?

That's ok. Already returned that POS. A nice toy but didn't realize it only did apps. Will stick with my old laptop for tuning. Traded the HHR SS for a Sonic RS. Pretty lifeless stock but your software really brought it to life! Happy happy now.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, realize this thread is a few years old but.. is the VCM suite fully functional with the newest Surgace Go with Windows 10s? Looks like a convenient option if it?ll work. Wanting to confirm before dropping $500 on a tablet I would only use for HPtuners.

Quote Originally Posted by s30.hybrid View Post
    Ok, realize this thread is a few years old but.. is the VCM suite fully functional with the newest Surgace Go with Windows 10s? Looks like a convenient option if it?ll work. Wanting to confirm before dropping $500 on a tablet I would only use for HPtuners.
    I looked into this before buying my surface Pro6 and it does not look like the GO will support it. From what I understand, it will only let you download their apps. Besides the surface is to me the perfect platform for this application. Get one if you can instead.

Now IF you can install a true windows 10 it might work.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply. Since I was unable to find more info I ended up going with a laptop and it?s been working great. Glad I passed on the GO but had I known I probably would have bought the Surface Pro instead. I think a tablet would be so much more convenient for data logging too.

Potential Tuner
    You can turn off S mode on the Surface Go and HPT seems to work fine.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by whgrange View Post
    You can turn off S mode on the Surface Go and HPT seems to work fine.
    I've been debating on getting the surface go and turning off S mode to use hp Tuners. I know it will work with s mode off but I'm not sure if the tablet is up to the task. Has anyone done this? I'm worried able the ram and processor speed.

Thanks

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post
    I've been debating on getting the surface go and turning off S mode to use hp Tuners. I know it will work with s mode off but I'm not sure if the tablet is up to the task. Has anyone done this? I'm worried able the ram and processor speed.

Thanks
    I've got the model with the additional RAM and upgraded storage and it seems to work pretty well. Can have a slight delay opening apps, screen size is a little small and keyboard a little cramped but it does the job ok.

hptuners.JPG