Thread: Can you read and write to an unlocked T93 without the ECU being used?

Tuner

Can you read and write to an unlocked T93 without the ECU being used?

We have a L86 6.2 10L90 installed in an older vehicle. We are running a 2017 E92 ECU and a T93 (unlocked) for the 10L90.
    We have ran others with a 2017 ECU and T87a 10 speed but for some reason this transmission was newer and would not function with a T87a. We installed the T93 that it came with and it works perfect, TAP shift, TOW/HAUL ETC... except for a code for the aux fluid pump, so we sent it to HPT to be unlocked and were going to turn that code off because we are not using the stop/start function or the aux fluid pump.

We were able to read the T93 (HPT supplied stock file) and make changes to the tune but when we try to flash it in, it errors out with a negative response code x7F. It even allowed us to license the TCM.

Going thru HPT support and it seems that they are saying it will not write to it because their database says that the T93 should be in a newer vehicle with a newer 2019 ECU and ours has a 2017 ECU and VIN
    Has anyone been able to get HPT to add a VIN to the database to allow a write to function?

Or

Could the T93 TCM be read without a ECU attached and be tuned by itself?

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 2.37.36 PM.png

Tuner in Training
    Well, I can write to an unlocked 87A TCM and not write the ECU, so I would think so.

Tuner
    So I tried again with a different T93. Bought a used T93 for a 10 speed. sent it to HPT to be unlocked.
    Got it back and plugged it into the bench harness and "read" the TCM, took the HPT supplied file that was generated and tried to write it back to the T93 and it would allow me to license it, and would go thru the "processing flash data" from 0 to 100%.
    Then it showed "sending request to HP Tuners server"
    and then it would show FAILED "Writer Transfer Request: x7F Negative Response Code"

I think tried it on the bench with a E92 hooked up as well. It went thru and read both the E92 and T93. saved the file and then flashed it back in. writing the ECU worked perfect but the T93 TCM did the exact same thing.

There has to be something missing or it's looking for some other data from a stock vehicle, which we do not have as we are standalone or on a bench flash harness.

Any ideas?

Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 4.06.42 PM.png Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 4.06.45 PM.png

Tuner
    Still no luck on writing a tune to a T93 TCM from my bench harness.

I can't read even with the tcm and matched ecu. There is something wrong with the software. 1500$ to unlock and license and no trans data is showing up.i am trying to get a 2019 10 speed to work with a e92. The 10 speed came with it's matched t93. The gm performance parts t93 TCM works with it.

Potential Tuner
    vannatta, Have you been able to "read" and flash the GMPP T93 TCM?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by vannatta20 View Post
    I can't read even with the tcm and matched ecu. There is something wrong with the software. 1500$ to unlock and license and no trans data is showing up.i am trying to get a 2019 10 speed to work with a e92. The 10 speed came with it's matched t93. The gm performance parts t93 TCM works with it.
    I can "read" the E92 and T93. Well HPT supplied a "stock read file" then I can make changes to the TCM file and license it..... but it fails to write the unlocked T93 no matter what I try. It does run and drive fine with the stock T93, but we need to be able to make some changes. So far HPT Support has not been able to help. they say that their techs in house can write to a T93 and use a bench top harness. I have asked them to please verify that and have not heard anything back.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmextreme View Post
    I can "read" the E92 and T93. Well HPT supplied a "stock read file" then I can make changes to the TCM file and license it..... but it fails to write the unlocked T93 no matter what I try. It does run and drive fine with the stock T93, but we need to be able to make some changes. So far HPT Support has not been able to help. they say that their techs in house can write to a T93 and use a bench top harness. I have asked them to please verify that and have not heard anything back.
    My t93 came in today. I could write an entire and calibration just find and that was with a e92 controller. Unfortunately i can not get the tcm to get the trans out of limp mode. I have a prndl error. Do you have any wisdom you can share? I have the 10 speed transmission harness out of the original e90 harness. We pulled that out and merged it with a e92 setup. I added a 5vref and ground ref to the transmission harness. I need this to work to get this old truck out of here! I can read the GM performance parts TCM no issue. Maybe hptuners can supply me a clone of it?

Quote Originally Posted by LS9Monte View Post
    vannatta, Have you been able to "read" and flash the GMPP T93 TCM?
    Yes

I have p2805 code, transmission range sensors not plausible. Any idea what I need to do? The t93 transmission harness has no prndl wires like a t87 would

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by vannatta20 View Post
    I have p2805 code, transmission range sensors not plausible. Any idea what I need to do? The t93 transmission harness has no prndl wires like a t87 would
    Did you ever figure out the P2805 issue? I think it has something to do with the fact that the early 10L80 used a different internal range switch compared to the later ones. Im not sure if you can just install an early switch and internal harness or if there is something else that has to be done.

Potential Tuner
    All the same issues here. We did get our 2019+ T93 Os 24298476 to work by re-writing the 2017+ E92A Ecm Os to 12711157. Not sure what any of those OS numbers go to, but they worked together and the trans is happy. Still cant write to the unlocked TCM though. Same "Writer transfer request Negative response"