Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Bluecat Transmission Table Software

Not to take anyrhing away from the program and methodology, but I don't think it is meant as an end result. It's meant as a good foundation. I use it to get a good starting point, but I always manually adjust parts that need work. You're better off tweaking bit by bit once it is roughed in.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Not to take anyrhing away from the program and methodology, but I don't think it is meant as an end result. It's meant as a good foundation. I use it to get a good starting point, but I always manually adjust parts that need work. You're better off tweaking bit by bit once it is roughed in.
    Yeah...and I'm trying to get the TCC unlock vs.downshift roughed in better to start with. The software is better at implementing logic than I am just staring at tables.

Also, it's nice that GM hasn't changed the axes in forever...even OBD1 LT1's with the 4L60-E use the same axes.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    I'm trying to find a sweet spot for my 2005 5.3 truck with TCC unlock versus downshift...the spread of only 1mph seems too tight for me...when I'd like it to just unlock to pull up a steep grade at say 70-75mph it usually winds up downshifting instead, I'm currently trying 4. Just thought I'd ask what others may have tried?

I'm also not entirely sure what the Lead function does. I see how it's affecting the shift speeds, and to a lesser extent the TCC, but I was curious if you could explain what it's there for so I can understand how to use it better.

Thank you for the software though, it's really above and beyond to give this to us.

Yeah, man trans calibration is very much so not a right or wrong, its purely personal preference. My "preference" on unlocking in a situation as you describe would be toward a downshift vs an unlock because from a mechanical efficiency stand point I'd rather see 3rd locked vs 4th unlocked. Hence the defaults are setup that way. A setting of 4 would definitely lend to what you are trying to accomplish, so your going the right direction.

Just as a general "Method to the Madness" explanation, let me better describe why everything is how it is. Several people have made many constructive comments on why is something "this" or why don't you do it "that". And most of them are very valid points.

Let me start with why I even developed this software for my use in the first place. As you transmission tune you inherently know "I want this to do this", whether that be because a shift is holding out to long or converter locking at the wrong time. The problem I always had was the unforeseen consequence of the change. You make a change to fix one problem, and end up creating another. And that is easy to do in a transmission table because it all has to flow and work together. Needless to say when a customer is staring down your back its hard to take the time to rationalize shift flow. And making multiple driving trips to fix transmission shift problem after problem can take away your "big dick daddy" tuner status in a customers eyes, lol. So the first versions of the spreadsheet back in the day was my attempt to automate the starting point of a transmission tune relative to gearing and stall size. But also to implement logic rules to the process to keep flow stable. The problem with the spreadsheet was that logic has to be reapplied over and over. If one rule makes a change to keep it happy, then another rule might have to make another change to keep itself happy after that change. Hard to do in a spreadsheet - easy in a program loop. Hense the switch to actually software for the job.

As far as making manual changes to the raw data in HPT, I seldom do it any more. I do when I'm in a hurry and know what I'm doing shouldn't effect anything else. But often I miss something, create a problem. Easy to do on the A6's since all the shifts and locks are close together. Then the time to paste the data from my program to HPT becomes a time saver instead of a hindrance when a unforeseen issue from a manual change causes another drive/log to fix.

So here is what I do now. If on a drive I see I want to make a change, instead of manually moving numbers around I change a setting of the program to make that happen. If I want the converter to lock at 47 instead of 42, I raise the min tcc lock rpm up click by click until I see the number in the table become 47. If I want the 2-3 shift to happen 5 mph later at 25% tps, I decrease the shift slope offset until I see that happen. But that way an unforeseen break in the logical flow of the shifts doesn't happen. All the rules I want applied stay in check. And if I make a change that can't happen without a rule being broke, it shows me so I can rethink what I'm doing without creating extra drive/log trips.

Also, I've got several comments on the display format of the data. Not matching the format of the tables in the editor is by design.

First off, having the data broken into separate tables for 4th and 5th is just hard to look at. It takes up more screen space and removes any chance of seeing the flow of the numbers increasing up and down. It makes it harder to work with the data and exponentially increases the amount of code to make it work. It just makes more sense to keep the data together, in sequential numbering, grouped all together. Upshifts, Downshifts, Locks, and Unlocks each in their own group where changes made to the settings can be more quickly evaluated.

Second, there is no standard to the format in the editor anyway. Different years and applications are different. Some have WOT TCC tables, other don't. Some have 0 and 100% wot tables, others are singles. It was easier to working in a unified format, and export to your specific application after the fact. I think everyone misses that there is an export screen that spits the data out in the exact format of the editor for every format I know that exists. Use the export function, its makes getting the data back into HPT a breeze.
    Last edited by Bluecat; 03-28-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluecat View Post
    Yeah, man trans calibration is very much so not a right or wrong, its purely personal preference. My "preference" on unlocking in a situation as you describe would be toward a downshift vs an unlock because from a mechanical efficiency stand point I'd rather see 3rd locked vs 4th unlocked. Hence the defaults are setup that way. A setting of 4 would definitely lend to what you are trying to accomplish, so your going the right direction.
    I hear you on that, but I'm nervous keeping a 4L60-E locked during a 4-3 downshift...I don't know that it can even do it to begin with, and if it can, I worry it'll eventually cause damage. Maybe I'm worried for no reason...I dunno.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Your right, you can't. It won't let you. I have never seen a genIII os that will let the converter stay locked on a downshift.

Tuner in Training
    What would you recommend for a vette ETC 00 with 120mm TB in regards to the shift slope settings?

Quick question when you are pasting the data into the tune, do you paste it in the "normal", Pattern A and Pattern B? Thanks,

Rob
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692

Quote Originally Posted by slayer12 View Post
    What would you recommend for a vette ETC 00 with 120mm TB in regards to the shift slope settings?
    Just start with the normal vette etc selection, and use the offset to bring the slope around until the shifts dont feel early or late at part throttle. With big TB's the shifts typically feel early, which requires a negative offset to delay the shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by HartRod View Post
    Quick question when you are pasting the data into the tune, do you paste it in the "normal", Pattern A and Pattern B? Thanks,

Rob
    Yeah, I usually paste the data into every pattern/mode. Unless I'm also setting up a tow/haul mode for a truck or some special mode for a car like not having the converter lock at wot for a nitrous passes.

Yeah, I usually paste the data into every pattern/mode. Unless I'm also setting up a tow/haul mode for a truck or some special mode for a car like not having the converter lock at wot for a nitrous passes.
    Thanks Blue. Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure this all out. One more question, in the 2014 Camaros you can use the paddle shifters in drive mode as well as sport mode. Is there something within the tune that will allow me to turn this on in my 2013 Camaro tune? Thanks again,

Rob
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692

Potential Tuner
    I just upgraded my 2011 Suburban to 3:73 gears from 3:08. It performs so much better now. I have a few questions for tuning:
    Tow/Haul mode is pattern "A" correct? What should I use for the Up/Down. Your previous spreadsheet recommended 4.
    Also, is the 04-Truck setup a regular mode setup?

Thanks. Your help is immensely appreciated.

Tuner in Training

newby question

Last Updated: 10/29/13: Version 1.1.9

I know I promised this to you guys years ago when I quit updating my transmission spread sheets, just hard to find time to make something public releasable. Better late than never I guess. The complexity of making the 6 speed stuff function correctly was beyond what I could do in a spread sheet. To much applying a logic rule, apply another, recheck the previous... So here it is. Was going to make a wizard type utility that just asked questions and filled the data out for you, but gave up on that. If your familiar with my spread sheets, it works the same way. You input the same data. Shift curves are broke into presets that match the Manual and ETC curves for common calibrations. Speedo data and formats for common cal tables are on the export window. Pretty much let the mouse over tooltips guide you if you don't understand. Other than that your on your own. I'll chime in later and add some better description of a few features and the reason behind them. But I again just wanted to make a tool from my toolbox available to everyone.

Last Updated: 10/29/13: Version 1.1.9
    when entering the final drive should it be the actual final drive or the rear end ratio. jut to be certain. thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Your right, you can't. It won't let you. I have never seen a genIII os that will let the converter stay locked on a downshift.
    I have the 4L80E in my Express staying locked during upshifts and downshifts. 0411 running a 2002 5.7 calibration.

just started using this tool.... awesome... really cut down on my trans tuning time...
    Owner of Cunningham Motorsports

06 z06
    2016 camaro
    68 Camaro
    2014 e63 amg
    07 LBZ Duramax

Advanced Tuner
    can anyone explain a few small things for me? what do D Rpm, Min Rpm, min gear, accel gear, and wot gear all represent?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet6.0 View Post
    can anyone explain a few small things for me? what do D Rpm, Min Rpm, min gear, accel gear, and wot gear all represent?
    SilverBullet - if you mouse over each one of those items you're asking about, a brief description will pop up on the screen.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HartRod View Post
    SilverBullet - if you mouse over each one of those items you're asking about, a brief description will pop up on the screen.
    Ok sweet, I was using it on my tablet! Ill give it a try on the laptop today!

Potential Tuner
    hey silly question read about this bluecat program but where do you get it from?
    I cant find the correct post with a link?

Quote Originally Posted by justplayn View Post
    hey silly question read about this bluecat program but where do you get it from?
    I cant find the correct post with a link?
    Look in the first post and click on the version or click on this:

http://home.windstream.net/philliphsmith/BC_Trans.zip