Thread: methanol failsafe tuning for LSJ

Tuner in Training

methanol failsafe tuning for LSJ

I think I have found an LSJ powered Ion for a pretty good price. I am excited that the cobalt washer tank will fit on the passengers side, so I can have a dedicated water/meth tank, and if 1.3 gallons wasn't enough, another Option B tank could add even more.

That said, I am not looking to skimp on the meth kit, and I am looking at something with a pulse width modulated valve that can accurately mimic FIDC. It will also have a failsafe that can cut power, supply different power, etc. From reading there is an electronic signal sent to the bypass valve that controls boost. Has anyone tried modifying or stopping the signal to it? The kit has a resistor to avoid CELs, I just was hoping that there was a way to hook up the failsafe so that the kit could be "safely" tuned for.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    I see relays wired into iat2 sensors so when the tank runs out the relay switches it resistance and changes the timing by removing 7-8* across the board depending on your max value.

Potential Tuner
    I'm slightly curious about the failsafes too on LSJ ion's. What does it plug into in order to cut the timing? I've done a lot of reading but none of it fully clicked

Potential Tuner
    Not and Ecotec but a GN, same problems with the Meth kits over there. I set mine up with a flow solenoid. flow stops there until the 60 LB hobs swicht triggers the system on. That resoved the out of meth, pump failue ect. That way it never goes into high boost. Let me go back.
    I did not want mine on all the time, so i set it up on a dual bleed solenoid system. with the sys. off the computer controls it @ 16lb with it on the second solenoid bleeds it to 22lb. It works great.

Potential Tuner
    I read you post again, don't bother with a the Controller. 1st off they don't last. I started with one, which turned into 3. that is another story.
    in all reality when you are going to use the meth you are going to get on it. with that you want it to start flowing right now because it is going right into high boost, the last thing you want is it tring to pulse the pump or a solenoid as these are modified rv PUMPS AND THE SOLENOIDS ARE NOT FAST.
    sAVE YOUR SELF SOME MONEY AND JUST GO WITH AN ON-OFF.
    Email me if you want a great setup.
    [email protected]

ok if you guys have a on/off type, methanol safe, level sensor then you can run a dual relay system. relay #1 controls the pump power so it doesnt burn to the ground. when the tank is low it interupts the power feed to the pump, otherwise its in a always on state. relay #2 interupts the IAT2 sensor signal. some people preffer this relay to open the signal return of the IAT2 to throw a code, others use the secondary leg of the relay to install a small resistor leading back to the signal return for the ecu. if you run a resistor it places the IAT2 reading in a different temperature range not normally used and under the ignition controls you can command a lower value of timing for when the methanol is not present.

i have set up both systems in lsj's with success so read up on circuits and you guys can have a minimum hassle methanol system too.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 01-03-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Plan on using this similar method of IAT sensor resistor altering on my LNF... Question I have is is it not good to have the pump on with ignition on? do you only want the pump on when you begin to go WOT?

you want the pump to turn on only at a set boost level for your case. suplying it constant pow will spray fuel 100% of the time. you want thecircuits live with ignition but not active untill the set values are met.

how about ignition pump with boost activated solenoid....

That would be how it's done boost activated pump

Tuner in Training
    Sorry it took so long to reply. Didn't receive notifications.

For an LNF, all you have to do is intercept the wastegate solenoid signal to cut boost down to wastegate pressure, and possible fool the CEL. For an LSJ, the boost solenoid fails to full boost, so it has been a little more difficult.

For other replies, the aquatec pumps can run fully pressurized if you reduce the pressure. Aquamist has their pumps set to turn on when the car starts, and keep pressure until the car shuts off. Stay below 170psi and you should be fine.

This on/off relay has me interested. I would like to see some diagrams of the wiring schematic but I will be doing some of my own research on it as well. The reason why I haven't been comfortable with installing a methanol injection kit was because I was scared of running out and risking my engine. I like the idea of pulling timing.

i found an on off float sensor a long time ago but dont remember where. the float controlled the coil ground on the relay and switched the iat2 feed from factory circuit to an added resistor of a specific size to shift the temperature into a new range on the iat multiplier table.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Talking with Richard, we have a fail-safe kinda figured out. With the kit working, the boost bypass solenoid will receive normal signal from the ECU. When the failsafe is triggered, the kit will send 5v to the boost bypass solenoid, from what I understand opening the valve all of the way. It's not what I wanted at the start, but I guess that it works for what I planned on doing with the car anyway, tuning for 87 octane and using the meth for boost fueling.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Talking with Richard, we have a fail-safe kinda figured out. With the kit working, the boost bypass solenoid will receive normal signal from the ECU. When the failsafe is triggered, the kit will send 5v to the boost bypass solenoid, from what I understand opening the valve all of the way. It's not what I wanted at the start, but I guess that it works for what I planned on doing with the car anyway, tuning for 87 octane and using the meth for boost fueling.
    How much timing are you pulling to use 87 octane with methanol?
    Last edited by smcstevesmc; 12-12-2021 at 11:03 PM.