Thread: C5 TCC Will Not Lock

Tuner in Training

C5 TCC Will Not Lock

The car is a 99 c5 with an RPM lvl6 4l60 and a Vig 3200 single disc. I have not been able to get the TCC to lock up despite a few different tunes. I can manually lock it up by using the scanner TCC PWM or TCC Solenoid "on" buttons, and in the attached logs that is what you are seeing as it locks up. I fixed a few things according to all the information I could search for over the past couple weeks, but still no lockup. Coolaid's write up was a big help. Can someone please take a look at the tune file and see if I'm missing something (possibly a force motor current table?) that would get this thing to lock up? The snow has started to fall and I'm tapped out of ideas, so there's not much more point in me driving around trying to figure this thing out. I'm just looking to get this to lock up for regular/highway driving with no plans of WOT lockups.
    TransWorkingTuneETstreets12-14-13.hpt
    Trans.cfg
    TransTCC1.hpl
    TransTCC2.hpl
    Last edited by LTstewy8; 12-19-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Have you logged misfires?
    Check if you are getting misfires(real or false) as this will keep the TCC from locking.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, I logged for misfires before logging the trans config. There were no misfires.

Tuner in Training
    Anybody? I went ahead and scaled the force motor current tables by 85% to no avail. Tried a few other things, also, but the fmc scaling seemed to improve transmission feel so I've left it scaled for now. The most likely culprit to me is the "TCC Ramp Exceed" status bit, which is triggered any time not at a stop.

Tuner in Training
    Anybody?

If you haven't already checked, make sure the brake and clutch interrupt switches are not out of adjustment / broken. I think you can log their states in the status bits (TCC Brake is one i beleive). Sometimes its as simple as picking up on the brake pedal with your foot and the converter will lock.

That and the trans temp not reading are the two most common things I've seen over the years. And your log clearly shows its reading temp, as its kinda hot lol. Plus if its trans temp it will eventually lock on a GENIII, after your drive long enough for the code for it to throw it will go ahead and lock. I know you said it shows no misfires in the scanner, but I'd disable detection completely while your trouble shooting.

Senior Tuner
    What does TCC_Mode show when you think it should be
    locked?

Tuner in Training
    Well, I'm not sure what to think, but I got the lock up to work. I maxed out the knock sensor global gain tables with no results after a quick drive, so I went back to stock gain settings. Then on a long road trip I had to take on Monday, I maxed out the knock sensors again as well as used Bluecat's 4LxxSpeedCalc excel file to change my lock up vs speed settings to what his calculations suggested. Voila, lockup success! I'm not sure which one made the difference, but one of Bluecat's solutions certainly saved me. I've almost taken the knock sensors back down to factory settings and I'm still getting lockup operation. Thank you for all your help Bluecat, especially for encouraging me to try disabling the knock sensors again. I guess I was too hardheaded after the first attempt disabling them failed for some reason. I'll update this post when I find out just what knock sensor values the threshold for my lockup operation are.