Thread: Can't connect with ECM

Potential Tuner

Can't connect with ECM

Hi:
    I bought HPTuners Pro about two weeks ago and have been reading a lot from a book I have and studying online. I went today to read my ecm and as soon as I connect my laptop to the OBD2 port under the dash I get this message "Service Issue- Contact Dealer." Then it tells me that the fuel gauge has an issue and I need to contact the dealer. The gauge then goes from showing full to empty. I disconnected the battery for about 10 min thinking that might help-nope. I connected the cable without the computer hooked up and no issues. I even re-installed the hend held tune (Superchips) I previously had installed before restoring the car to stock tune. The superchips unit connected fine and worked with no issues. I'm assuming the issue is in my pc, but I'm not sure what the issue is. I also checked the connectors both at the VGA plug and where the ALDL end connects to the car and wiggled them to see if a pin wasn't connecting. As soon as I connect the two the issue occurs. I don't even have to attempt to flash the thing and it happens. I'm assuming there is some signal coming from the VGA connector even before attempting to read the ecm; and, this signal is causing the connection issue with the car . I'm at a loss as to what to do as this is my only laptop. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it!!!!!
    Thanks In Advance,
    doww301

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    VGA plug? Why would you be connecting anything other than a monitor to your vga port? Sounds like you are just connecting the interface wrong to me.

www.hptuners.com/help is your best resource for PROPERLY connecting your interface to your USB port...
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

He is referring to the male dsub15 connector that you use on the other end of the ODBII cable, which is a VGA connector. I hope he connected that end to the MPVI box (then the USB out from the MPVI box to the laptop) rather than straight to the VGA port on his laptop.
    Kenne Bell Supercharged 2003 Corvette Z06

Potential Tuner
    Uh Yeah, i was that guy. I got it all straight now and it's working great. As soon as i begin to tune VE I will post my tune file and hopefully someone will be willing to give me an assessment of where I'm at.
    Thanks for the guidance and help.
    doww301