Thread: Windows 8.1.. where is the MPVI?

Potential Tuner

Windows 8.1.. where is the MPVI?

So I got a brand new Toshiba with Windows 8.1 64bit and Im having a problem that I seen a lot of other people had, a lot of guys posted "FIXED" but no one posted how. I did the whole thing with downloading new drivers and unzipping to desktop, then updating drivers for MPVI. But, heres where my problem is different than what I have read here. I have no errors. And when I do find my MPVI in the device manager, I DO NOT have the little exclamation point next to it. I plug in MPVI, and computer does nothing. I find it in the device manager, channel A, and B. Right click, update drivers, browse computer, point to downloaded drivers in unzipped folder, click go.. I IMMEDIEATELY get a message that states "Windows has detected that all of your drivers are up to date".
    So heres the deal. I have sent off an email to customer support. I bought this laptop 2 days ago, only got 12 more days to bring it back if I cant get HPT working. I bought this laptop solely because I bought HPT. If I cant get it working, im going to bring it back. But im running out of time. Someone, anyone please help. Im a new guy looking to try and get this figured out. It seems simple, but its driving me nuts. Its almost like the MPVI is already installed, but I cant find it anywhere, and I was never prompted to install it. HELP HELP HELP!! someone please tell me what I am doing wrong!! Any help is MUCH MUCH appreciated, Gerald.
    985-264-8057
    [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Advanced Tuner
    Try this, in device manager, right click the A device and select Uninstall. Check the box to uninstall the software, and complete the uninstall. Repeat for B.

Reinstall the drivers, making sure you use the right ones.

Here are the 64bit drivers in a self extractor. You will have to rename it as a .exe file.

HPT FTDI Drivers 2.08.28 WHQL.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gottogo View Post
    Try this, in device manager, right click the A device and select Uninstall. Check the box to uninstall the software, and complete the uninstall. Repeat for B.

Reinstall the drivers, making sure you use the right ones.

Here are the 64bit drivers in a self extractor. You will have to rename it as a .exe file.

HPT FTDI Drivers 2.08.28 WHQL.hpt
    Ok so I actually need to do an install of the drives u sent me? My computer doesn't like them that's for sure. So install these, then try to see if it recognizes the MPVI?

Potential Tuner
    So, I "uninstalled" A and B like you said, and then after I unplugged MPVI. Once plugged back in, It did show them in device manager with the little yellow exclamation point, but before I could even try to "update drivers" channel A and B moved to a drop down titled "universal serial bus controllers" with no exclamation point. If I go to devices and printers, HPT MPVI is there under unknown devices. So maybe its installing itself? When I try to open MPVI from devices and printers it basically brings me to the properties. It does in fact say that the device is working properly. All the help is greatly appreciated guys.

Advanced Tuner
    Well, we tried.

My computer was doing something very similar. After I uninstalled it the same old drivers would install automatically. I then found that if I checked the "remove software" box I could then specify the driver folder that I wanted to install. It worked for me.

Maybe you are seeing the the problem noted in the other link. Sorry, but maybe you can take the laptop back and get a Win7 version?

Are you sure it's 64bit?

Potential Tuner
    Yes it's 64 bit. It would only let me check the "remove software" box for A. Not for B. It just really acts like it's installed and ready to go. The link that realcanuk posted won't open on my phone or laptop. ??????? When I try to update it keeps telling me that "windows has determined that all of your drivers are up to date"

Advanced Tuner
    The link isn't working for me either now. Basically Keith at HPT was saying there are some problems with 8.1 and it's not officially supported yet.

I suspect your best bet is to exchange for a Windows7 machine if you still can.

Potential Tuner
    That's what I'm gonna do. Windows 7 it is. How do I go about Getting HPTUNERS off of my laptop. Will I have problems installing it on another computer after I've already installed it on this one?

Advanced Tuner
    Just run the uninstaller, you'll be fine.

You can install on multiple computers so there should be no problem with the new one.

Potential Tuner
    Man I really appreciate all the help. Windows 7 it is

Advanced Tuner
    Good luck!

Potential Tuner
    Sorry this doesn't help much but I have no issues on my Asus with 8.1. Wish I knew how to help with it.

Potential Tuner
    I mean maybe it is installed? I never got a prompt to install it, but when I uninstall it in device manager, then unplug and plug back in, it pops up with the little yellow exclamation point, then 3 seconds later it moves to another drop down with a little USB plug next to it, just like the rest of the stuff on the list that is installed on my computer, and when I right click on channel A or B and go to properties, it says this driver is working properly. If I try to update it, it says windows has detected that this driver is up to date... I'd really hate to go get rid of the computer if it works. I wish I could call somebody for help to give a better explanation of what's going on so they could further assist me.

Potential Tuner
    I just went through this. I have an Asus with Windows 8.1. The install went exactly as you described. I did not install the drivers manually but it works. I disabled my VATS so everything appears to be working correctly.

Potential Tuner
    Ok so everything is working just fine after the same scenario I'm going through. It does seem to be installed, just wasn't sure. I haven't plugged in to a vehicle yet to see if it's working. I'm coming home from vacation tomorrow and I intend on trying. And can I please get some more info on VATS?
    Last edited by gcosse05; 01-01-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Potential Tuner
    The MPVI never prompted me to install, but it works fine. Thanks for the help guys

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    The drivers SHOULD install automatically via microsofts automatic update, worst case scenerio is they don't and you just right click on each MPVI A & B, click update drivers and search internet, MS does the rest, we no longer need to be in the loop for these for the most part
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"