Thread: 6L80 conversion Issues

Tuner in Training

6L80 conversion Issues

hi guys i am running a 2008 VE holden commodore ss L98 and a 6l80 in my 1998 Y61 GU Nissan Patrol

this is one of my build pages
    http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...ion&highlight=

i have just brought HP tuners to try and sort out a few bugs with the transmission.The vehicle is not running the VE commodores BCM and the ECM/TCM do not know the vehicle speed

The problem i am having with it is that it is shifting between gears constantly when cruising at speeds
    it will shift up normally when accelerating but once at speed it will soon start shifting back and forth between gears mostly between 5th and 4th some times 6th .

It will only do this below 90-95 kph once over this speed it will stay in 6th gear with toque converter lockup and cruise all day with out a problem.

I have spent the last week playing with hp tuners trying to get it to work correctly it is now shifting a lot nicer but could still probably be smoother and will now down shift most the time when its meant also could still be smoother but i can not get to the bottom of this shifting back and forth between gears when cruising.

i have found that playing with the final drive ratio T Err in the speedometer settings has allowed me to stay in 6th above 90-95 kph
    i have set the ratio on T Err (final drive ratio - trans VSS Error) to 3.0 and the dist - T err to 777.77 for this

The patrol runs 30 inch tires and 4.62 diff ratios when i first entered this in the Speedometer gear/tire calc it seemed to up shift and down shift much better but it then would give me the same shifting fault back and forth between gears no matter what speed i was cruising at

I then tried just playing around with different final drive ratios for T Err i found with having it on a lower ratio like 2.0 it would not give me this problem but it would be changing gears far to soon
    id be doing 50-60 kph and it would be in 6th already with the torque converter locked up it would be sitting on 60kph with the engine only doing 1200rpm it felt much to loaded up for the engine and was causing to much engine vibrations through the cab

i also cant use drive low and drive second to stop it from getting full gears . i am only using the patrol shifter with a cable to the box so i can select P R N D D2 D1 (which im guessing on the box is only D3 D2) but when i go from D on the shifter to D2 and DL it dose nothing it will still just go through all 6 gears like normal. when i was looking at it with the scanner it would only say D6 was selected , is there any thing i can do about this with HP tuners ?

i am really not sure what i can do to fix these problems any advice would be grate thanks guys
    i will attach my tune file and get a scan file put up here tomorrow
    Last edited by julian14588; 01-01-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Tuner in Training
    this thing keep changing it self
    i was driving it the othere day just around town and it was going grate at frist was shifting nicely staying in gear and not going in to 6th gear untill 80kph or so

but then i went on the hwy (doing 100kph or so) for a bit and after coming off the hwy it would then start constantly changing gears crusing at 60 - 80 kph again . untill i would pull over stop the car put in park and start again then it seemed to go back to normal ish again

Tuner in Training
    some reads

Tuner in Training
    finally got it working correctly but still cant hold it in gear with the other detent options

Tuner in Training
    which test worked?

Tuner in Training
    i cant remember anymore

Tuner in Training
    but i have the tune for it

Tuner in Training
    hi julian, im interested in what you did to resolve this or if you can do a read and post it up as im having the same issue with driveline out of a VE

Potential Tuner
    Hi Julian.

I have a conversion doing the same thing.
    Did you end up fixing it?

Cheers

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronM View Post
    Hi Julian.

I have a conversion doing the same thing.
    Did you end up fixing it?

Cheers
    Have seen this with mismatched ECM <> TCM OS's. They mostly work, but do random things like upshift/downshift at highway speed. Get OS match right, and all good.

Potential Tuner
    6L80E shift hunting.hplLeon's Pickup 6L 6L80E Tuned.hpt
    Quote Originally Posted by LSX378 View Post
    Have seen this with mismatched ECM <> TCM OS's. They mostly work, but do random things like upshift/downshift at highway speed. Get OS match right, and all good.
    Hi mate I have attached the log file and Cal. Both engine and trans were from the same vehicle. They are now being used in a conversion minus the factory shifter and BCM.

Potential Tuner
    Hey guys don't stress.
    I think I have it sorted. Did a write entire on the T43 with a 24243170 operating system and bingo. Originally was a 24239353.
    I wish someone posted this years ago.