Thread: If I buy . . .

Potential Tuner

Arrow If I buy . . .

. . . the $349 scanner will I be ale to log what my LS1 is doing in terms of air/fuel ratio and timing on my laptop? Can I then make adjustments to those values on my laptop and upload them to my PCM while protecting the original tune?

Simple questions, I know, but I need straight answers. I plan on sinking a few thousand bucks into my 2001 Corvette and if I spend $600 on a tuner right now it will be many months before I am able to make any upgrades to the car that would warrant using it. In other words, I need an inexpensive method of making the necessary changes to my tune if I decided to port my heads, and put in a new cam, intake, and exhaust. I can always upgrade the tuner later, but is the scanner enough to start?

Answers in red

Quote Originally Posted by erufle View Post
    . . . the $349 scanner will I be ale to log what my LS1 is doing in terms of air/fuel ratio and timing on my laptop?
    Yes

Can I then make adjustments to those values on my laptop and upload them to my PCM while protecting the original tune?
    No, you need the tuning suite

Simple questions, I know, but I need straight answers. I plan on sinking a few thousand bucks into my 2001 Corvette and if I spend $600 on a tuner right now it will be many months before I am able to make any upgrades to the car that would warrant using it. In other words, I need an inexpensive method of making the necessary changes to my tune if I decided to port my heads, and put in a new cam, intake, and exhaust. I can always upgrade the tuner later, but is the scanner enough to start?
    No
    If you want to spend a few thousand bucks, tuning is another part to consider. It's not 1960 anymore
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Potential Tuner

And finally . . .

So if I spend $499 for the suite all the answers in red would be yes?

What about correcting the ability of the program to automatically correct obvious mistakes. Can any level of the software do this or would I have to by the $900 products I've seen elsewhere?

If you buy the $500 suite or the $650 pro suite, you can change anything and everything you want on the car an unlimited amount of times. The $650 dollar package has a few more options and are better if you want to always log a wideband and such.

Its worth it to buy, you can tune the stock vehicle and make it way way better before you even start to mod it.

I have not personally delt with any other software on the market but I can say that HPT is by far one of the best ever made. I'm sure some other software program can do alot of what HPT can, but I'd stick with HPT because I like the way its setup.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.