Thread: price of dyno

Advanced Tuner

price of dyno

hi guys I know this isn't directly a vcm/hp tuners question, does anyone in Australia know what the price of dyno's are approx. secondhand at all...and anyone in perth available to show me/ give me a few more pointers towards tuning/ dyno operation etc if that is possible will pay for your time,cheers...
    Last edited by THE CHAD; 02-07-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    got a couple of figures etc mainline second-hand (re-built etc) when they do see them start from about $30,000

Senior Tuner
    Keep in mind you will want a load bearing dyno.

We bought a Mainline MDX and then spent a further $16K doing a complete digital upgrade to ProDyne/DTS with wireless control and all the jazz, bunch of I/O channels, massive 3 phase fan although we only have single phase and the dyno is single phase so we use another fan. It seemed like a lot of money at the time and frankly still does for the use it gets. I put it up for sale for $40K (less than it cost us) and hasn't sold yet, has about 200 runs on it since upgrade. It is Mainline bed with the large Telar retarder I'm told by Mainline, I'm told its at least rated at 1500hp, but we've never had anything that powerful on it. It's very handy to have such a good load bearing dyno but they are a large investment and aren't the be all and end all of tuning.

Advanced Tuner
    cheers boys for the info/advice got a couple of options coming my way ie dyno dynamics is one of them, will see who has the better option- price hehe, should be good for the 1000rwhp I am aiming for... building my drag vr/vs to aid in myself building up my tuning skills etc for my business/dyno once up and running later this year I hope..just a good way to get me out there and known to the lsx scene here in Perth/Rockingham
    Last edited by THE CHAD; 02-08-2014 at 07:15 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    new dyno dynamics dynotech is $36k +gst + ramps + fan etc.. so about $44k will get you going with a new one

if you hunt around you will find bargins.. in the last 4 months I have brought the following

4wd analogue $31k missing computer $19k to get it working with analogue to windows upgrade and a few extras like tacho adaptor
    2wd twin retarder digital $32k complete but old software $1200 to upgrade it
    2wd single retarder digital almost brand new like had 4 cars on it $22k with no computer, $2k to get it working

I also sold my old 2wd digital 5 years old lots of work but always serviced monthly and maintained very well with every option including pro logging software etc for $33k

you cant go wrong with a second hand DD if it has been looked after they are almost bullet proof..

my 4wd setup

Love my Dyno Dynamics. My Analog DD is actually for sale but I'm around the world in the US.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Advanced Tuner
    yeh the only thing I hate about my analogue to windows upgrade is still having the wired hand controller, I loved the PDA on my old digital..

what did you replace your analouge with?

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Love my Dyno Dynamics. My Analog DD is actually for sale but I'm around the world in the US.
    What are you getting?

I'm either going to get a newer DD or a larger Mustang. I want to step up to a MD-1100SE or an MD-IMP because I've started getting some 12-1500hp cars in and they just will not hook up on a 10.7" roller without some tire slip.

I have my current analog DD setup using the following settings:
    Inertia: 82 (for most LSx cars)
    eXtra Correction: 1.000
    Then standard weather station data manually inputted

and with those settings the highest I've been able to "hook" up is 902rwhp on a ZR1 that had 19x13 rear wheels on 375/35/19 tires.

I've tried their IRS blocks (junk IMO) and they don't help. I've found so far the best way to hook them up is to run straps under the dyno up through the middle of the rollers to pull straight down on the A-arm/axle. With that said I have no clue how anyone is hooking a legit 1800-1900rwhp on these dyno's without using an AWD that is distributing power to 4 wheels.
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

The shop I tune through bought a MD-1100SE. Just waiting for weather to get better to pour the concrete. It should have no issue with 1000+ whp setups. He picked it up used (barely... Had maybe ten pulls) for $35k.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Yeah I've also looked at the MD800 and MD600 of which I doubt I would have traction issues with either. The MD600 is a dual roller dyno similar to my Dyno Dynamics but the rear rollers are knurled and connected to the front drive rollers with a belt and are 19" in diameter each. My front rollers are all thats knurled and the rears are just floaters.

There are advantages to the smaller roller/lighter weight dynos and that is part throttle tuning resolution. The smaller roller will react to such small HP differences as compared to a heavy drum dyno. The heavy drum acts like a capacitor absorbing small HP fluctuations. The lighter rollers don't and really make part throttle timing adjustments way easier.

In a perfect world I would keep the one I have and buy the MD1100 to sit beside it. My Loto ticket needs to learn to have the right numbers on it already!
    ShorTuning

I struggle with few aspects. The above ground is nice you easily roll under for the WB install or if some mechanical issue's show up. Large roller in ground helps with traction issue & minimizes the mechanical side from the dyno perspective. Then I really like the Hub dyno for reduced noise & traction, I've no experience using one.....I'm sure there are draw backs.

Most likely as LSx mention's, a perfect world includes more than one dyno. I went with a small Mustang & really my plan way in the back on my mind.......if I ever needed to upgrade it there would be a second dyno.

What ever dyno you purchase as with most things service & support is key. I had a very tough go with Mustang, it's all good now but it was a battle.