Thread: ODBII port hookup

Tuner in Training

ODBII port hookup

Getting close to plugging HPtuners into a LS2 converted 69 Camaro. Does the orange power wire going to the ODBII port need to have a 200ma fuse to protect the drivers in the HPtunerspro Interface? I noticed that certain wideband wiring configurations require a 200Ma fuse to protect the drivers in the interface. The ODBII batt. orange wire will be coming off an independant fuse block under the dash that is protected by a 30a circuit breaker and draws power straight off of the battery + terminal. I can place any standard blade fuse between it and the ODBII port. What is neccessary?...if anything.

The standard fuse for OBD2 port is shared with the cigarette lighter, usually 20 Amp.
    If you don't need to feed anything else from the same circuit, a 5 Amp fuse is good
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    I have a 2 Amp out there I will try first. If it blows...5 Amp it is, thanks! Does anyone know what the actual Amp draw from the MPVI Pro interface is? I would like to eventually match it as close as possible.

I am assuming the 200Ma fuse to protect the drivers in the interface is because a wideband is feeding the interface a power/signal vs. the power to the ODBII port is being drawn upon by the interface putting it at less of a risk.
    Current Project: 1969 Daytona Yellow Camaro LS2/T56 swap. 2006 GTO LS2/T56, LT headers, 3" dual exhaust, Custom ground cam, Vintage Air, New Vintage 1969 gauges, 3:55 gears, custom aluminum radiator/shroud/airbox and more, HP tune (in the works), etc...

Tuner in Training
    I ended up using a spare switched ignition fuse space from the engine relay control center with a 10A mini blade fuse to power the DLC connector. When I get a chance to pick up some smaller ones I will step the fuse amps down to better protect equipment plugged into the DLC connector from potential damage. Plugged in the scan tool, it all worked. I then used the HPtuner interface to download the stock tune file with no issues. Thanks for the input!
    Current Project: 1969 Daytona Yellow Camaro LS2/T56 swap. 2006 GTO LS2/T56, LT headers, 3" dual exhaust, Custom ground cam, Vintage Air, New Vintage 1969 gauges, 3:55 gears, custom aluminum radiator/shroud/airbox and more, HP tune (in the works), etc...