Thread: Cant hold transmission gear with VCM controls.

Cant hold transmission gear with VCM controls.

I went to start tuning VE/MAF and realized that I can't hold a transmission gear with the VCM Controls. Just curious if its on my end or if it is something that is being worked on for the new 2014 Silverado.
    2014 Silverado 5.3 - New Mod Template

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Trans diagnostic tab
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Well... I took a look at it and don't really see anything that would hinder me from holding a gear in the VCM controls. I just like to hold different gears with the controls while VE/MAF tuning so that I can hit more cells. Am I missing something? I'm working on a 2014 Silverado.

Trans Diag Tab.jpg
    Last edited by mm_n_p; 03-09-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mm_n_p View Post
    Well... I took a look at it and don't really see anything that would hinder me from holding a gear in the VCM controls. I just like to hold different gears with the controls while VE/MAF tuning so that I can hit more cells. Am I missing something? I'm working on a 2014 Silverado.

Trans Diag Tab.jpg
    yeah it's in your picture... the cmd control limits of RPM and (most likely in this case) MPH.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Really? Then I'm just dense or something. It says that the values must be below this for commanded Gear PCM controls to engage? I'm running 55 MPH and trying to hold 4th at around 2000 rpm's. Do you have crayons to help explain it to me because I'm just not following. LOL

its not that I can't HOLD it for a certain period of time... I can't hold it at all. it won't let me select the gear, any gear at any rpm or speed. The VCM control button will show to be highlighted but never changes color, like its not taking the command, or doesn't recognize it.

Is there anybody on here that can give me a half assed attempt at some help on this? I don't think we are understanding each other and support personnel simply pointing and grunting doesn't seem... Well... Helpful.

I realize now that my initial post might have been misleading, and thats why I got the responses I did but this seems to be more of a software/hardware issue, unless somebody can actually EXPLAIN how those settings in trans diagnostics are keeping me from selecting a gear in the VCM Controls.
    Last edited by mm_n_p; 03-14-2014 at 11:28 PM.

My 2010 LS3 Maro VCM controls, and 2004 Grand Prix 3.8L show tons of buttons that just DONT WORK (meaning, they do nothing). So, if you update, and reboot everything and it still don't work, your SOL. Don't ask to have them greyed out either because there are too many reasons why they cant do that. If you don't get a response from support, that means they most likely don't work. If you do get a response that they may work, it's likely an OS version problem and they could probably add your OS, but I haven't seen VCM controls support change from HPTuners versions.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by mm_n_p View Post
    Is there anybody on here that can give me a half assed attempt at some help on this? I don't think we are understanding each other and support personnel simply pointing and grunting doesn't seem... Well... Helpful.
    You might consider posting your file then

Oh... I guess that would help, huh.
    I'm on 2.24.488 also.
    If you need anything else, please let me know.

2014 Silverado 5.3 base street tune (trans tune2.6).hpt
    2014 Silverado 5.3 stock tune.hpt

I always use manual mode to select the gear as well as the VCM controls.

Russ Kemp

I actually tried that Russ . I put it in 4th manual, then tried selecting the VCM control to keep it from down shifting so that I could hit some lower cells under different loads while tuning VE/MAF. When I tried selecting the 4th gear button in the controls, it would just highlight temporarily, but it would not turn green. I tried slowing down just to see if it was just a visual issue in the controls but it did not hold the gear. I tried this in other gears as well. I thought about re-downloading the suite and installing it again but it took me a couple hours to get it lined back out last time I did that. That is probably the only thing I haven't tried, I will wait until Bill tells me to do it now though.

I'm assuming that nobody else is having this issue with their 2014 GM 1500?

Same here. Can't hold gear on a 2014 GMC Sierra.
    I'm assuming that nobody else is having this issue with their 2014 GM 1500?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    email support so we can try to troubleshoot the issue further.

Pffffft!

Finally, now maybe it will get looked into.

Mrshanab... Will you see if your FastLearn works as well? I don't get much help on the forum, and I just want to verify it's not just on my end.
    Also, If you hear anything back will you contact me and let me know what they say.

And.... This looks somewhat familiar...

Bump!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    mm_n_p email support and I work with you to troubleshoot further.
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 04-07-2014 at 12:21 PM.