Thread: Online training

Tuner in Training

Online training

Im a few weeks from completing my engine conversion and hopefully by then i will have spent the money to pickup a copy of VCM suite. The ecu im using already has a tune so i wont be starting from scratch, but ill be making a bunch of changes to the car over time so want to learn how to use the software properly.

What courses are there available to take online? Id prefer something that relates to vcm suite more specifically or totally, but at the moment general efi courses would be a help as i need a refresher. Previously (over 10 years ago now) i setup, tuned and maintained a motec m4 and adl setup on my race bikes so have some experience, but going through some stock tunes of the aussie ford 6s im feeling pretty intimidated by vcm suite. The motec in comparison was basic, or at the least very logical, whereas with vcm suite i feel something basic like increasing boost is somewhat confusing at the moment.

Thanks!

Potential Tuner
    honestly, check youtube. ive been on there for hours so far, just soaking up the information freely available. its not very HPT specific, but you have to know the basics to understand what you're doing, anyway.

Potential Tuner
    The tuning school has all of the info that you need, as well as you can buy the info from hp tuners site also.

Potential Tuner
    Thats not entirely true, I've bought the tuning schools package, and greg's dvd, yes packed with info, but I find the problem is that every vehicle is different. The tables and screens they reference in the training material are completely different from anything I've plugged into so far. Seems like each vehicle has a different system for getting to the same result. Now the newest ECM's are even crazier with systems over systems over systems!!! Very difficult to learn!

Potential Tuner
    im at the same point, every thing I look at looks completely different than what I have. hell im even confused about ve tuning because there are conflicting write-ups on how to do it.
    06 silverado WT
    4.8L 4x4
    vette servo, debadge, 6k ddm hids, 4-hi mod, blue led guages

Potential Tuner
    I'd honestly save up the cash for "The tuning school" but I'd be extremely mad if I pay $449 for online courses etc and don't learn much that's useful. If I knew I'd learn the things I'd like to do I would be willing to save up the cash and get it in time.

Potential Tuner
    I don't post much here but I'll let you know I purchased both the beginner and the advanced guides from The Tuning School. It can be a bit costly but having the actual information required to make the appropriate changes vs attempting to search through pages and pages of forum searches to get the information was more than worth it for me. As for making a purchase of your own, I'd suggest the advanced guide. Still comes with the MAF/VE tuning guide and includes a section on GM 6spd transmission tuning. It also has some other nice tricks that can come in handy.

Hello guys,
    I wonder if it's worth it to order a combination HP Tuners VCM Suite and Training Course Packages from ERMPerformanceTuning. Any experience? I found one more course online on the VCMstore, but it seems to be inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by BRocedddd View Post
    I'd honestly save up the cash for "The tuning school" but I'd be extremely mad if I pay $449 for online courses etc and don't learn much that's useful. If I knew I'd learn the things I'd like to do I would be willing to save up the cash and get it in time.

Not really worth it IMO.They will get you started but thats about it. Some of the information has been shown to be wrong. They also teach it in AFR and when you ask about open loop/lambda they deflect the question without answering it. The support was barely okay at best for me.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner in Training
    Check out youtube channel Goat Rope Garage. Tons of info.