Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing the LC-1

Installing the LC-1

Not really sure where to post this, but I have noticed a few posts on the LC1.

I just want to confirm, that I'm putting the 7 wires in the right spot, before I connect everything up and screw up my LC1.

I have the bung installed between the down pipe and the cat. I have run my wire through the firewall. The LC1 itself sits under the hood wrapped in a plastic bag (I assume this is ok). The sensor itself is not plugged it (still sits in the box), as, my understanding is, all the wiring must be setup to avoid buggering up the sensor (ie power).

Since I don't have the EIO yet, I'm guessing that it will connect into the Serial Out Connection. Is there a ground wire for the EIO? If so where do I ground it to when I get it? Same spot as the Analog Ground (Green)? For now, I'll be running the logworks just to get an idea of how I'm running.

My understanding of the LC1 is, I can run both a gauge and HPTuners. So I plan to get some sort of Gauge (maybe). Do I run the ground from this to the same spot as the analog ground (Green)?

Red
    - 12V Supply
    - connect to a fuse in my fuse panel; power when ON, not accessory (turn signal as an example).
    Blue
    - Heater Ground
    - any spot on the chassis
    - will ground near my fuse box as this is where I have run my wires to)
    White
    - System Ground
    - connect to Green to Chassis
    - Ground to my a pillar, as this is where my gauge will go.
    - will ground the gauge and EIO here too.
    Green
    - Analog Ground
    - connect to white to Chassis
    - see white above
    Black
    - Calibration Wire
    - connect one wire from pushbutton and red wire from LED to this then other wire from pushbutton to a different ground on my a-pillar (different than other a-pillar ground) and black from LED.
    Yellow
    - Analog Out 1
    - Will use for the gauge. ran to a-pillar and wrapped it up until I buy it.
    Brown
    - Analog Out 2
    - Left this by the fuse panel on the drivers side. Will use this for the EIO.

Thanks.
    Last edited by xonelith; 02-05-2006 at 12:49 AM.
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

the white/green need to ground to the EIO as well for logging
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by ws6firebirdta00
    the white/green need to ground to the EIO as well for logging
    So, since my white/green are grounded to the chassis, I run the EIO ground wire to the same spot?
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

i dont have eio as of yet but AFAIK there is a spot on eio to ground it. what i did was run a ground from the chassis to where my EIO will be so i have a signal and ground. make sense?
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Ya, it does. You just grounded the EIO to a different location than the Green/White.

Thanks again!
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

I updated the info above. I have everything setup and will test it tomorrow.
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

look here

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2947

I have a nice diagram and everything..

it will be in the help files in the next release(says keith)

also Innovate Motorsports says to connect ALL GROUNDS to the data logger ground...and nowhere else..

the only ground that you should connect to the chassis is one that is looking for that...meaning the stock narowband comector has a chassis ground on pin A...and that is the only one to go to chassis ground...

the LC1 Heater,system,analog grounds and calibration wires should all go to the EIO Ground..and not conect to the chassis

all of this was arrived at after a pretty hefty discussion with their tech department......I had an LC1 go bad and they said that having teh grounds go to the EIO and the chassis could have caused it to happen due to differences in ground voltages...keeping them all to the EIO prevents a gound voltage difference and results in more consistent data
    Last edited by S2H; 02-05-2006 at 10:57 AM.
    -Scott -

Tuner
    The EIO picks up the ground through the OBDII connection?
    03 LS-1 Vette, LGM Longtubes, BillyBoat Bullets, Halltech Stinger, Shaner ported & polished TB, LC-1 WB, Elite E2 Plate, BPP Shifter, DTE 4:10

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    look here

also Innovate Motorsports says to connect ALL GROUNDS to the data logger ground...and nowhere else..

the only ground that you should connect to the chassis is one that is looking for that...meaning the stock narowband comector has a chassis ground on pin A...and that is the only one to go to chassis ground...

the LC1 Heater,system,analog grounds and calibration wires should all go to the EIO Ground..and not conect to the chassis

all of this was arrived at after a pretty hefty discussion with their tech department......I had an LC1 go bad and they said that having teh grounds go to the EIO and the chassis could have caused it to happen due to differences in ground voltages...keeping them all to the EIO prevents a gound voltage difference and results in more consistent data

well now this is confusing. i have a WB gauge which needs to be gounded to the chassis so it will get power, and they told me to ground LC1 green/white to this chassis ground. if the EIO ground to the chassis through the connector they said it needed to be grounded to an engine ground. They also told me that the ground for the heater can not be connected to the other grounds. What I did was grounded everything to the chassis at the clutch pedal and just left the heater to be grounded in the same area, just different spot. Then I ran a ground from there to come out to the interface for the ground on there. The tech guy at Innovate told me the way you have it initially but I told him it is a data logger from the computer and he said ground them to the engine since the ECU grounds there. It is confusing as crap though. I have an autometer a/f gauge hooked up and only way its gonna get power is to ground to chassis, they said every output needs the analog and system ground to them as well. If they all grounded to the EIO it wouldnt work unless I had everything plugged up.

and what went bad on yours? my controller outputs messed up on me. i just dont see how if you get power from the car if you dont ground it to the car how will it work? i could see it working if EIO was plugged up but if you are just driving around and leave the wb in there all the time and hooked up to a gauge that wont work, or shouldnt at least.

you will take all grounds to your EIO...with the exception of your gauge ground....you gauge ground goes to your chassis..
    teh gauge has resistors and circuits in it that basically isolate it from the LC1
    treat it like this....
    devices that have multiple grounds all go to the same ground...
    meaning all LC1 grounds go to EIO..or when not using EIO then ou take all LC1 grounds to the chassis.
    and gauge ground can either go to EIO or somewhere else...if the gauge had more than 1 ground then they would all go to the same grounding spot...

you may want to install a rocker switch somewhere to change the grouds back and forth..one position for EIO ground when datat logging is connected..one position for chassis ground when data logger is not in the car.
    -Scott -

and yes..EIO grounds thru OBD2 connector
    -Scott -

ok so let me get this strait then, when logging, every ground goes to eio? they told me my controller could have blown because i did not have my gauge ground common to the rest.

if you leave EIO out of this, you ground blue to the chassis but not the same as the analog/system. and you ground the gauge to the analog/system.

when eio is in use, you want every ground to the eio ground. even the heater ground (that they say NOT to connect to the other grounds)?

they are so confusing. in the write up they say not to conenct the blue/white/green together but now they do? if this is the case, then i should beable to ground every single ground to a common point. then when i am logging switch it to say "wire 1" which grounds to EIO, when i am not logging i switch to "wire 2" which grounds to the chassis. and my gauge will still work grounded to EIO when logging?

this is really confusing lol i emailed them to ask again about it, cause it kinda pisses me off that they told me something totally different

I was told by them to put all the LC1 grounds including the heater ground to the data loger ground..

as far as the gauge..I believe you can put the ground from it to the chassis..it doesnt need to go to the EIO...
    what they say is all the grounds from 1 device go to the same spot..2 different devices can go to different grounds...but LC1 is one device and gauge is the second device.
    I would also assume that you could take all the LC1 gounds to the chassis if you so desired...just as long as all the LC1 grounds go to the same spot
    -Scott -

ok well ill leave it how it is, i mean if you really look at it the way its wired up now is about the same, the common point will just be the chassis (since EIO grounds there through the connector anyway) I will double check with Innovate and post back for anyone else running a gauge like me.

also, they told me that i should hook the heater to the data logger, but to a different ground port. they need to get the story right lol

did you talk to Felipe?

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    look here

Forgive me for my ignorant, I'm not that bright. When I read that thread, I thought that all of that info only applied if you were using the wideband as both a narrow and wide. I installed a separate bung.

In my layout above (diagram to follow), you are saying that the blue, black (with switch and LED), green AND white, all go to the same 'screw' for ground?

Thanks soundengineer for your help!
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

yeah thats what he is saying but innovate specificly told me not to connect the blue wires with the other grounds, i dont see why they are tellling us 2 different things

LOL... geez. Maybe I should post a link to this thread in their forum. Wonder if they would clear it up.
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

i emailed them and asked them to clear it up, as soon as i hear back i will post