Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: LNF PID Tables

Tuner
    Cobaltss,

My tune actually follows your RDR tune quite a bit except for the PID tables, OS tables, Opti TQ, DALs, MAF settings. Did you mess with the PID tables in that tune at all, or were those left stock from your cobalt? Mine were quite a bit different, and I'm not sure if that is from the tuner I originally got the tune from, or if it was just different since I'm running a solstice.
    '07 Solstice GXP. Mods - Tune, IC, CP, catless DP, ported intake manifold, ported TB, ported Head on the intake side, catback, K&N CAI, LV front brace, WERKS backbone, HPS pads up front, and HP+ pads in the read.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    No pids are stock gm 2 cobalt and the solstice is different because of the extra drive train load.

Tuner
    Got it, that's kinda what I thought after looking at a couple of other tunes on here. What about Lambda efficiency in the engine torque model section?
    '07 Solstice GXP. Mods - Tune, IC, CP, catless DP, ported intake manifold, ported TB, ported Head on the intake side, catback, K&N CAI, LV front brace, WERKS backbone, HPS pads up front, and HP+ pads in the read.

OS table controls urgency. That's one of the ones that can make boost go uncontrollable if set too high. Read my writeup after reading GMTech's on Optimum Spark. That's one table that can make 5% throttle full boost if you're not careful.

prop gain - how fast it ramps up. on stock turbo it'll max out at .485sec from 0-20 psi (my randomly assigned measurement) above 2500rpm. Good for drags, terrible for driveability.

derivative gain - controls overboost on rampup. Higher values dampen the system to the point where you can slow boost ramp from being overdamped

integral gain - controls throttle and boost hang when you lift. Factory settings cause TB & boost to hang. Too high on this table will cause boost flutter at WOT as the ecu fights conflicting commands to boost and close boost off. Too high and you will see the TB close to 0% even before the pedal hits 0% (yes, that fast).

I suggest you make a very aggressive tune for drags that you flash at the track and one for everyday driving. The drag tunes I've made are not very streetable.

No need to touch lambda efficicency table. It's a reference table for calculations which can drastically alter ecu stability. With a modded tune it can and often will cause the car to go WOT on startup. You can achieve full tuning control without ever touching this table.

My car had afr issues and so I did a test on a dyno. The lambda numbers are from my ported setup. Even as long as I've been around I still occasionally forget a table

Tuner
    Excellent, my assumptions on the PID tables were close to being spot on then. Two more questions, what is the magnitude of adjustment (i.e. 0.05 or .5) needed to get you in the ball park? Second, Bill I noticed in a previous post you said that you had your prop gain steady state table set at one value. Was this to make ramp up equal for all driving scenarios? If possible, what direction would you point me in to locking that value down?

Prop gain steady-state isn't a table. It's a single value.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...l=1#post346949

I have my prop, derivative, and integral gain tables all set to single values for linear pedal control. As a starting point for prop and derivative you can set them to the highest value shown in each table.

To adjust, higher values for prop gain will increase boost ramp, higher values for derivative will limit boost overshoot (and overdampen if too high, higher values of integral will cut boost and close tb faster.

As a reminder, TB position by itself is irrelevant. TB, boost, and timing are all interrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by codename Bil Doe View Post
    I suggest you make a very aggressive tune for drags that you flash at the track and one for everyday driving. The drag tunes I've made are not very streetable.
    why can one tune not do everything you want? drag, autocross, street?
    2008 Sky RL

different setups effect the mid range response making the line between controllable and snappy very small. if you personally like the snappy feeling then i could see it working for that but most users want the huge output with tame operation and the mid range will be worked accordingly.
    i believe the ecu just lacks the table clarity for use to get away with everything the v8 ecu's get away with.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Drag you want instant boost ramp and quick recovery between shifts. For road racing, you need to be able to modulate the pedal (and boost) at part throttle through a corner. Take my word from experience. It is NOT fun trying to modulate the pedal in a 2% range from 0-23 psi. Drag tunes push the stability of the ecu. My road racing tune is the same one in my DD just with different timing tables for different fuel.

Upper range for the prop gain is 327.7. Would be kind of interesting to see someone try that. I've experimented all over the place to figure out the effects of the tables. That is how I use them to adjust my boost ramp, overshoot, steady-state, and hang. Plenty of other ways to do it once you understand the interactions between the tables. As an FYI, my prop gain is even lower than Mike's for my road race setup.
    Last edited by codename Bil Doe; 09-06-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Tuner
    All very interesting stuff guys, thanks! I'll keep playing with it, but I'm a heck of a lot happier than where I was before I started!!

Tuner
    Hey guys, here is my tune as of this morning.. Let me know your thoughts!

09-09-14 93 Oct.hpt

Tuner
    Well, after modifying pretty much everything (including setting the majority of the OT table to 100%) my car runs like crap lol. I think it might be my DAL table that is doing it. any thoughts?

9-11-14 drive to work.hpl
    09-10-14 93 Oct OT Change.hpt

pm'd. Now that you're using full torque with unlocked OT table, you have a couple areas still need to be fixed in the timing table. DAL is ok.

As a side note, the first time I ever raised the OT to 100% I freaked out cuz it ran like shit. Then, I figured out why. Haven't gone back since and the extra power and responsiveness everywhere is great.

Tuner
    Here is my Log from Friday.

9-12-14 drive home.hpl

Tuner
    Here is my current tune as well.

09-15-14 93 Oct.hpt

PM'd. Found the cause. WGDC & ECT related. Fine once it's up to operating temp. I'll look through the tune and see if I can find what's causing it tomorrow.

Tuner
    Daily tune and log upload!

09-16-14 Lunch Log.hpl
    09-16-14 93 Oct.hpt