Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2.0t ats tuning

I was wrong on the reduced power mode so ignore all that crap above from me, I had changed something else with it and that was the reason for the change. So last night I went through and made some changes off a cruise file I saw and boom that was it 3 tables fixed my issues. Now Holding 84% from time I nail it to time I let off boost staying at my max setting and not any knock at all. Logging is weird I am seeing a spike of over 500 ftlbs tq then settles in around 420 and tapers off to 6600 shift point at like 340 then of shift back up to 410 -420 repeat. But when first punch it get that huge spike over 500 which is weird. Car pulls very hard mid to top end but some how have gave up low end and spool time. seems the car is slower to build boost . So any ideas what could cause it? I didnt touch the prop gain which I have read can change that but still stock settings as no idea where to go on it. So something else I did is doing it so asking which table could be the culprit as I have raised most and none are lower than stock at any point.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Advanced Tuner
    I haven't read any of this post but things that can affect spool up time is spark tables, cam tables, integral grain, and derivative gain. I can't think of any more off the top of my head but when I do I'll post up. Yes directly prop gain is for spool up but remember that integral and derivative play a role as well so they can and will change that as well.

So I have had good results so far but it is guessing and just stumbled on it and that doesnt help me get it correct. Now I have the throttle staying open I need to learn what certain things mean and how they relate to other values and then how one table affects another and so far I have yet to find a place to read about this stuff. The lnf guides are great for the lnf guys so is there something similar for the ltg or an engine that uses a similar engine management? The way some of the adjustments in the tables just doesnt add up to why it does what it does when you go up or down on a value. Like wastegate boost dc table. From what I understand it is a percent of gate open so this is boost pressure loss correct? BUt yet I see many are raising values to achieve more boost? I would think if you went up on percent it would then lower the boost or create the cut off at that point you have your max set to. On a spring actuated gate once it hits that pressure that is it then it is open through the rpm band usually with a little creep up. So why not set this table up to do the same? The numbers are all over the place on the table stock . I just dont understand it enough to figure it out yet. I know what I am wanting it to do it is just getting there with it. Then you have pressure delta factor?????? How does it affect boost as the little explanation doesnt really help saying maximum rate that pressure can increase being converted boosted to kpa bla bla bla so without knowing how pressure delta relates to psi or kpa it is hard to make sense of the tables to make proper adjustments. Not even gonna get started with prop integral and derivative tables as those are also on values that make no damn sense with out knowing the pressure delta relationship yet again. To hit the throttle have it build boost then stay open until I lift off the throttle then have the bov do just that blow off only when the throttle is lifted would be great. They have really overcomplicated the hell out of what two spring actuators would do just fine on older applications and all you had to do was worry about timing and fueling for the boost it was making. I cant even think about working with the cams which probably is a great place to find power until can get this boost stuff figured out the right way.

2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Tuner in Training
    I think I have found the key to closing throttle and KR at WOT. Its all about reducing the turbo duty cycle so that the actual boost doesn't exceed the target boost. Data log the following info: Throttle Position, Requested Boost, Actual Boost, RPM, and Barometric Pressure. When you see the throttle cut @ WOT move th cursor just before the cut and you will see that the actual boost pressure is higher than the requested boost pressure. Now take the requested boost pressure and divide it by Baro pressure. That is the pressure ratio. Take a look at the RPM and use that along with the pressure ratio to find the box in the Duty Cycle map and reduce the number there. Keep doing this until there is no more throttle cut. When all is well you will see that the throttle cut and KR are all reduced or gone.

Someone may want to start a bible thread for this engine. It'll have to be updated constantly as more information is discovered. But, it'll eventually centralize everything and make for easier reference.

has there been any more up dates on tunes or any ETs the cold weather is near in just getting started on my tune I will post results as asap I might just go out this wk and do a stock pass for base line . I been reading through the form and found that their are other tuning ATS I would like to introduce myself my name is cris Ive been a bmw guy for awhile now tuning 135i/335i my previous car was a 135i I got it to run a 11.5 at 120 I just sold my car and now my plans are to race the bmw guys with my wife ATS and see if I can catch them off guard , if any of you guys can help me or guide me in the right path any info is appreciated thanks

I sent u a pm with my email in it. Just ran low 12s @110 with my ats and willing to share some tuning help just email me direct as I don't like posting too much here as some people on here just run their mouth and don't actually help. [email protected]

Tuner
    Hello lt1z350,
    I just read through this thread and you seem upset at the lack of support; for what it's worth here are my thoughts.
    The LNF has a Bosch controller (E69) which has Bosch proprietary software which is completely different from the controller you are using. (to be honest with you, i am not even sure how much GM even knows about this controller, generally Bosch doesn't share their software, i have a hunch that the LNF was tuned by Bosch not GM, and this is evident when you compare tuning "style" of the stock tunes between your engine and the LNF). Yes, physically the engines are very similar but the software is very different. I bring this up because i don't think people are trying to withhold information, it's just that not many people are tuning the LTG yet. when it comes to "tuning" the controllers are so different the LNF tunes do not correlate to your engine.
    You had some questions about the wastegate controller, proportional, integral, derivative gains. Here's how the LNF works, and i assume the LTG too. both the spring AND the wastegate solenoid are trying to keep the wastegate closed. The pressure of the exhaust is trying to open it. In the LNF the spring can keep the wastegate closed up to about 3-5psi? positive pressure, anything above that it needs help from the solenoid. The reason i'm bringing this up so to state that a larger wastegate solenoid duty cycle means the wastegate is "more closed" therefore more boost. As far as what the "proportional integral derivative" values do, that is "classic control theory" closed loop control, look up how a "PID controller" works. Log "desired boost" and "measured boost" and you'll get what that PID controller does. Personally i find PID controllers to be a pain in the ... rear... and for my goals the stock tune is good enough. I'm willing to bet it's the same on the LTG.
    You mentioned tuning the variable cams in a previous post. Just as a heads up: on LNF it seems that the factory settings are pretty much optimized for power at WOT (read: not much to gain at WOT), however people change them to mess with throttle response at part throttle (low loads).
    Most LNF tables are based on "percent air load" which is a very ambiguous "unit" i assume it's based on percent cylinder filling but sometimes it seems even more confusing than that. I would love to have an LTG where most tables are on scientific units and you can actually calculate real values.
    Also remember that you are missing a significant number of tables, so backwards engineering it is difficult when you don't have all the information, too many question marks.
    My disclaimer: I do not have an LTG, so feel free to dismiss everything i said above.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by codename Bil Doe View Post
    Someone may want to start a bible thread for this engine. It'll have to be updated constantly as more information is discovered. But, it'll eventually centralize everything and make for easier reference.
    I realize it has been more than five years since this thread, was a 'bible' ever started? I am behind as usual but I have a 13 ATS with an LTG and it would be nice to read thru additional relative info without having to spend days sifting thru the mass if information in the forum.
    Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 1328115898 View Post
    I realize it has been more than five years since this thread, was a 'bible' ever started? I am behind as usual but I have a 13 ATS with an LTG and it would be nice to read thru additional relative info without having to spend days sifting thru the mass if information in the forum.
    Thanks!
    I was looking for one myself. Just started playing with a 16 Camaro 2.0

Tuner
    I would like to tune our 2.0t that is in a '15 Malibu but can't find much info on it either. Could someone steer me in the right direction for this please? E39a ecm

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by XxScottxXN View Post
    I would like to tune our 2.0t that is in a '15 Malibu but can't find much info on it either. Could someone steer me in the right direction for this please? E39a ecm

Thank you
    Check the repository. I know there is a tuned version of a 13 ATS that you can reference for ideas to compare to your stock file assuming these vehicles are similar.

Potential Tuner
    Does anyone know 0 out the VVT ​​table, means that the VVT ​​is turned off?then what is the angle parameter of the intake and exhaust camshafts angle?
    Is the angle relationship at this time the angle when the engine is off?