Thread: Loading someone else's tune

Tuner in Training

Loading someone else's tune

I have an L76 /w 6L80E running the E38 ECM. The engine is used in a swap and the original ECM was bricked. I purchased a used ECM from the same model year, make etc. Works and car runs fine. I have disabled VATS, switched-off a bunch of DTC's and made some other small changes.

I recently went through the transmission shift maps and compared them to 3 stock tunes in the HPtuners repository. Lots of changes in my maps different then the stock settings on all the 3 other files. I've manually set them back to normal, but am wondering what else has been changed.

Is it possible to load one of the stocks tunes from the repository onto my ECM? As it's already VATS unlocked, would I just use "write calibration" for this? Or do I need a "write complete' or "Write VIN/Tunerlock/VATS"? Will this use up more credits?

Just want to check with you guys to make sure I don't brick my ECM.

Tuner in Training
    Anyone?

Tuner in Training
    Nobody?

Tuner in Training
    *bump

Why would you want to spend 2 credits, when you can just copy over the differences from another tune? And you never know if the "stock" tunes in the repository are actually stock.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    That's what I'm asking, is there a way to do it without spending the credits? The other option is to go through each table one-by-one and trying to see if anything else is changed. Chances of missing something seem pretty high. Also, wondering if there is something 'behind the scenes' going on that isn't visible that is altering the programming.

Main issue is the trans. When I drop into D ... takes about 2 seconds and thumps into gear hard enough to bounce the rear-end (tried fast learn twice already, first time made it worse ... 2nd time, no change). Slot into R, don't feel a thing and it's immediate. The gearbox also isn't that smooth just on normal driving and bounces off the limiter in high gear, high load. I've set this all back to standard and calibrated the speedo ... so not sure what is going on. But after seeing so many changes done to the trans maps, I can't help but think something programming wise is still off. Everything is stock ... so not getting why the trans is shifting badly. Cruising at 80mph, if I kickdown hard enough for a double-down shift ... it feels like it unlocks the converter, shifts down, gets confused, goes back up and then finally goes down 2 gears. Doesn't feel right at all...

If you use the compare function, it's actually pretty easy to see what is different between 2 tunes.
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692