Thread: LBZ durability mixed reviews

LBZ durability mixed reviews

Hey fellas. Let me start off by saying that I quite frankly (and a little sadly) have zero experience with Duramax engines what so ever. I'm very familiar with Cummins and Powerstrokes, however the world of Duramax is a new one for me. With that being the case, and seeing as how many knowledgeable diesel tuners, and just many folks with Duramax experience in general roam around these parts I figured I would get a straight forward, honest and educated response that I likely couldn't get anywhere else.

With saying that, I've been looking for a solid used truck lately to use as a reliable weekend work horse. Some friends and family convinced me to give some 04-07 Duramax's a shot. I took one for a ride, and flat out loved the power. The problem I've come across, and my main reason for coming to you guys for advice is this. I have read many seemingly biased reviews both strongly for and strongly against the GM Duramax platform as a whole, particularly beyond the holy grail 200k mark. I'm currently looking at a few different trucks, one of which is a 07 2500HD Duramax LBZ with roughly 235k on the odo. The frame, chassis and body are in STELLER condition, however the mileage here is what very much concerns me, partly due to what I've been reading thus far. If it were a 5.9HO Cummins, I'd have zero reservations about the truck, but with it being a Duramax I'm just very unsure.

Long and short of it, how durable are these engines/drivetrains and how significantly compromised is the life span when even mild recalibrations are done? Are there any engine mods that are considered a MUST before pumping an bit of power through these engines (such as head studs, head gaskets, injector issues, ect ect) that I should also take into consideration with such a vehicle?

Thank you in advance for any help in the matter guys.
    09 Cobalt SS - E47+EFR6758 =

07 Silverado ECSB LBZ Duramax - Bunches of goodies

What are you looking to get out of the truck? Will it be a toy hauler? Daily driver? Or are you tuning it into a race machine?
    As far as I'm concerned, there are other weak points on the these trucks that require looking at before a purchase. If it was modded incorrectly, chances are the transmission is going to shit the bed on you. The Allision is strong if modded right, but so many guys throw on canned 'insanity' tunes and abuse the trans.
    If it was a work truck, chances are the front end will need some love. They aren't nearly as bad for piling up as the Dodges, but when abused, nothing lasts.

And I'm not sure what the 200k mark is all about. All Duramax's will pile up injectors... in fact all diesels will. Out in the oil patch, I've routinely seen all makes of diesels eat injectors every 150k miles or so. Sooner if you run shitty fuel.

Mods for the future; I still maintain that the first thing you should do to any diesel is get a good filter and pump system. Be it Fass or Airdog, get a good flow of clean fuel up to the motor and it will make life far easier in the future.
    As far as life span; I run a mid 400hp tune daily. The truck as just under 200k miles on that tune. I take care not to abuse the higher gears. My issues so far have been; replaced two injectors, one converter seal, both rear brakes... that's it!
    Tyler

Thanks omega! What year is your truck and what (if any) mods do you have done to it if you don't mind me asking? My plans for the truck as of right now are basically for a simple general purpose rig. Maybe pump a bit more power out of it for when I need it, but nothing over the top by any stretch of the word. I have other dedicated toys for just that purpose if I need to get some aggression out.. lol. Ultimately it will be used to maybe have some fun with it, weekend hauler/cruiser, bigger tires, very mild lift, family mobile and POSSIBLY winter plow truck (for only my own property) although I haven't really decided it I want to plow with it just yet.

So in short, and correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're basically saying is that at 200k+ I would have to worry more about things surrounding the engine more so than the engine itself, assuming that the previous owner didn't beat the snot out of it or run an all out tune? Aside for normal wear and tear items at that mileage such as injectors, diffs, bearings, trans abuse and normal chassis/suspension wear components. Anything you can recommend I specifically pay closer attention to while taking it out for a ride and giving it a once over? Any tell tale signs of abuse or trans issues aside from the normal someone might be looking for? Here's the big question for you, or anyone willing to state their opinions or experiences with the truck really. Assuming that everything SEEMS ok with the truck, would you purchase a Duramax with 235k miles on it especially if the price is right?
    09 Cobalt SS - E47+EFR6758 =

07 Silverado ECSB LBZ Duramax - Bunches of goodies

My truck is a 2004 (LB7). My only mods are a lift pump, downpipe and a tune. I pretty much use it for a backup daily driver / acreage truck / sled hauler.

I'd have no issue buying a high mileage duramax (or any modern diesel), pending it was maintained properly and not beaten.
    Best bet would be to pay close attention to wear items that may have been neglected (steering and suspension), see if the trans slips (usually 5th & 6th will be the problem gears), check for bad injectors (hazes bad at idle, when warm), and check for a turbo on the way out (no power, or very laggy).
    As far as things I've personally encountered with friends trucks; EGR problems, injectors problems (again), steering rattle / pull, transmission slip (even on the new LML's), fast wear on rear brakes.

If the transmission slips... walk away. It's a big bill to fix that. The rest are easily fixable, but be sure to weight the cost against the price you'd pay. I'd gladly pay more for a truck with the injectors already done.
    It might be different up here, but the best deals I've found are from older couples that use their truck to haul 5th wheels down south. Miled up, but always maintained and generally in good condition, and the old guys always let their stuff warm up.
    Tyler

Potential Tuner
    Mods for the future; I still maintain that the first thing you should do to any diesel is get a good filter and pump system. Be it Fass or Airdog, get a good flow of clean fuel up to the motor and it will make life far easier in the future.
    As far as life span; I run a mid 400hp tune daily. The truck as just under 200k miles on that tune. I take care not to abuse the higher gears. My issues so far have been; replaced two injectors, one converter seal, both rear brakes... that's it!
    I've read the Fass Fuel system is loud compared to the Airdog system. Is it true that the air dog is easier to install with the quick disconnects? Would like to know more insights on these brands?

Tuner
    I have an 07 LBZ that has been tuned for around 90hp over stock and 160tq since i bought it new, and egr blocker plate. It just turned 150,000mi. I have never had anything go wrong with the engine nor tranny. Fuel filter change every 6mo. with a can of BG245 thru the tank. As a precaution, I changed the belt, all 3 thermostats, and glow plugs. Truck runs great. It's my daily............

RPS Twin Carbon Clutch
    Kook's Headers
    Ported Supercharger
    Cold Air Inductions cai
    ID850's
    GPTuning 2.5 Cam
    9.1 Lower 2.5 Upper