Thread: safe WOT AFR for stock 2014 5.3 sierra

Advanced Tuner

safe WOT AFR for stock 2014 5.3 sierra

How lean can you go on a direct injection motor before you have to watch out? This is on 93 octane and stock everything. Also considering you don't want to kill the cats in short order.

Plus, is there any reason why the PE table looks so weird on stock vehicles? more so on my direct injection truck.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    they all have weird values as you can see its a bit richer in peak torque as well. DI engines can go leaner depending on your fuel quality
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Have you tried e85 yet, nice little kick for a stock tune and stock truck.

Great question! It sure would be nice if someone answered it.

most go to 13:1, I personally would leave it at 12:8 or so, no point in leaning out a stock or bolt-ons truck. it's still going to be slow, so why not be safe about it?

if you are going for some kind of track record you might lean it out more but no one is going to tell you an exact number. if you blow it up they don't want you saying it's their fault! after all, here in the US, you can get sued for having bad breath, much less giving bad advice....

Tuner in Training
    what would you say if you were boosted? safe afr? I target around 11.0 right now.

12.2 on a direct injection engine

Tuner in Training
    I think that would not be safe for a boosted application, DI or not, unless you are running alcohol or something.

-D

you can run it even leaner than that. that's why you are breaking up, we have been through this many times....just do a search if you want.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    you can run it even leaner than that. that's why you are breaking up, we have been through this many times....just do a search if you want.
    Actually the reason it was breaking up was the gap in the plugs was too wide, factory was almost .040. I regapped the plugs and now its not breaking up. I am sure search will tell me lots of information both useful and not useful, but DI engine or not having boosted motor with pump gas and 11.5 compression on a brand new truck 12.2 is a little to lean for my comfort. I am sure my tune is on the rich side but will make small incremental changes as I start put more timing in it and pulling more fuel out.

why did you ask the question in the first place then?

Quote Originally Posted by thewrx View Post
    Actually the reason it was breaking up was the gap in the plugs was too wide, factory was almost .040. I regapped the plugs and now its not breaking up. I am sure search will tell me lots of information both useful and not useful, but DI engine or not having boosted motor with pump gas and 11.5 compression on a brand new truck 12.2 is a little to lean for my comfort. I am sure my tune is on the rich side but will make small incremental changes as I start put more timing in it and pulling more fuel out.
    You aren't injecting against a closed valve where you also have to compensate for evaporation, puddling and impact factors. FI in the previous injection methodology also needed to be richer to help cool the charge to preclude detonation. From my reads, injecting directly into the chamber at much higher Fuel Pressure PSI's (2000+) provides adequate charge cooling at a lower fuel to air ratio. As HB stated, there is a lot of reads out there.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 06-30-2014 at 07:13 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    why did you ask the question in the first place then?
    We'll didn't know at first then started checking the obvious, appreciate the discussion regardless.

Tuner in Training
    good read, left me with blue balls though. The lean theory was not proved or disproved in this thread.

Andy had a badass trailblazer back in the day.