Thread: Tuning new injectors

Tuner

Tuning new injectors

This is my first post here so go easy...
    Last weekend I installed an ls6 intake, valley cover, and 01 fuel injectors in my car. I downloaded a stock 01 bin and copied over the offset vs volts vs kPA and IFR tables. Everything went well and the car started up ok. The injectors were used and had been in a ziplock back for a month or so. All the rubber orings looked good and were installed w/ a little bit of vaseline. On the first few startups I noticed that it was taking 3-4 seconds of cranking before the engine would fire. I went back and looked at the 01 bin and my 99 bin and saw that the cranking fuel tables were different. Searching on this board and ls1tech came up w/ the offset vs volts vs kPA table and IFR being the only changes required for bigger injectors. I copied over the 01 cranking table and now the car starts up immediately! Has anybody else run into this before? I would assume that most people are making a bigger jump up than I did (~ 2lbs) and that the cranking problems would be much worse than mine.

I also think that I have a couple of dirty injectors. On the first startup in the morning the car will idle rough and throw the P0300 code. Once the car is warm and the DTC is cleared, the SES light stays off. I'm running some techron cleaner through now to see if it clears them up. I ran the Cylinder Balance Test to try and locate the faulty injectors but I'm unsure on what the #s mean. All Cylinders were within 5% of each other (93% - 97% or 98% if I remember right). I'll try the test again to try and get some concrete data.
    99 Firehawk T/A NBM, M6, 403, TFS, Harrop, etc

Tuner

Re: Tuning new injectors

Where is the cranking table?
    Pontiac Trans Am WS.7 Ram Air -98&&

Tuner

Re: Tuning new injectors

In VCM Editor, Edit, Engine, Fuel Control, General Fuel, last column on the right. There are two tables, Stage 1 and Stage 2. According to the help menu:
    "These tables are FA multipliers that determine fuel delivery in relation to time. As cranking continues the AFR is selected from lower rows of the table until it finally stays at the last row in the Stage 2 table. Usually you will see a pulsing fuel pattern in these tables. "
    I found out that the injectors I put in were bad and were causing my hard start issues. Swapped back to my stock injectors (and stock tables) and it starts up fine. I'd still like to know if anyone has needed to adjust their cranking fuel tables to account for larger injectors. It seems to make sense to me, the tables are even different between the stock 26# and stock 28# injectors.
    99 Firehawk T/A NBM, M6, 403, TFS, Harrop, etc