Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any ideas? Bucking and sputtering car.

Quote Originally Posted by Super73
    Actually, the decimals are there.. The spreadsheet is just formated to only show you less. I can easily update that. But when you copy and paste, you are getting the 5 decimals.

I'll fix it to show the 5 decimals

Now, I have another question. What happens if I plug the Maf back in and set the fail to 14k?

Or if left in SD, what is the best way to tune on the dyno?
    Does it go in to PE mode with SD?
    What dictates PE mode? TPS / KPA / RPM delay?
    TPS is reflecting the actual % of throttle? So 50 would be 50%, 75 = 75%?
    With Hot Select PE being at 284, I'm assuming the HOT PE is the only table that will need to be edited for correct TPS reading?
    EQ ratio vs RPM is the field I need to edit once on the dyno?

For spark:
    Main spark table would be the place to edit?
    .6v = 50% throttle?

Any more I should think about?

Just wont to make sure I understand fully.
    one of the other issues with the spreadsheet is that it doesnt allow for smoothing...
    you need to smooth...ten copy and paste to teh secondary...
    which is why the sheet I sent you would probably work better...especially since you can copy and paste directly from the scanner into the editor using multiply by % or multiplly by %-half.

PE mode is always on..doesnt matter if you are in SD or MAF mode...
    it looks at the table..and whatever is in there..it multiplies teh value to get what its comanding

its enabled by MAP and TPS...there is a delay rom, but its turned off by map i believe...though as a safe guard...just set rpm delay to 0
    I usually also set my pe map to 10 so its always enabled as well...thns its solely commanded by tps

eq vs rpm you need to set at what you want to command(1.17=12.5afr)
    and adjust the VE and MAf accordingly on the dyno...
    best to be corrected with a wideband in an o2 bung as teh dyno widebands can easily be up to .5 leaner than what is really there....robbing you of power on the track or street
    you really need to invest in a wideband

and tps is actual tps%

spark table is in grams/cylinder and rpms

the file I sent you should be a good start on spark...maybe just a bit of knock in 5th opr 6th gear if you mash your foot at 1200rpm's...and you will need to find out for sure with your setup, and adjust accordingly...
    but other than that it should be rock solid....
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    BTW, here is the updated file. It shows SD mode and MAF mode.. http://73-ls1.com/misc/ve_conversion_3.xls

SD mode takes you Secondary VE from your tune and automatiaclly add/subtracts you log file and spits out a new Primary and secondary VE. You just need to have your primary / secondary VE's in and you last log histogram. You might even be able to do it with STFT's from the histogram but I have been using LTFT's.

Since SD mode uses secondary VE on my sheet to come up with the primary numbers, I formated the sheet to take your new VE at 20/30/40 ect KPA and average them to get you odd numbers. Example, 2400 rpm, (20 KPA + 30 KPA) / 2 now equals your 2400 25KPA number. It's like that across the board.

For MAF Mode, I just simply have the Main VE +/- the histogram for new numbers.

You can disable PE on an N/A car by putting MAP to 105 Kpa... Ooops...
    Always Support Our Troops!

um....you dont want to disable PE....
    it will lead to fueling being inaccurate when you re-enable it....
    I know from trying it on my car.....
    and besides....its not really safe to go that lean on high load and high rpm...just asking to fry a piston or the rings...
    leave PE enabled and you can always just filter it out using teh plot filering...just use fuel air multiplier=1 and you will only see your vehicles stoich values....
    or get a wideband and do everything by AFR error%....
    -Scott -

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    um....you dont want to disable PE....
    it will lead to fueling being inaccurate when you re-enable it....
    I know from trying it on my car.....
    and besides....its not really safe to go that lean on high load and high rpm...just asking to fry a piston or the rings...
    leave PE enabled and you can always just filter it out using teh plot filering...just use fuel air multiplier=1 and you will only see your vehicles stoich values....
    exactly...when SD tuning all your trying to do is get your commaned a/f & actual a/f to match...doesnt matter if your running a 11.0:1 commanded or 14.7:1 commanded your just trying to match up each cell in the end. Whether PE is activated or not should have little to no bearing on the final ve from what I've gathered.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    ^
    | That's the way I tune anyway.

BTW:
    I have found after re-enabling Closed Loop operation after tuning with the wideband that the closed loop AFR's tended to go lean (~.5 AFR) during closed loop operation virtually everywhere except high load (75+ Kpa). Seems as if the factory want's them that way for fuel economy. Hmmmm... USA version of Closed Loop Lean cruise!
    Always Support Our Troops!