Thread: Second look at LNF tune

Advanced Tuner

Second look at LNF tune

I have attached a tune I have been working on for an 09 Saturn Sky Redline

The car is going to be going to the track on a 50/50 E85 blend tonight and just wanted to see if anyone noticed anything glaring wrong or that could be improved in the tune. We dynod the car last year in the heat of summer and on pump gas and i cleaned up the timing tables then and im sure i can probably add more on the E blend. We are seeing about 24psi of boost on this tune currently. Car recently had charge pipes added and OCC installed. Car had GMPP Stage 2 upgrade, magnaflow exhaust, and K&N filter at time of original tune.

darrell june 2014.hpt

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by BTLD_LS1; 06-20-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BTLD_LS1 View Post

The car is going to be going to the track on a 50/50 E85 blend tonight and just wanted to see if anyone noticed anything glaring wrong or that could be improved in the tune. We dynod the car last year in the heat of summer and on pump gas and i cleaned up the timing tables then and im sure i can probably add more on the E blend. We are seeing about 24psi of boost on this tune currently. Car recently had charge pipes added and OCC installed. Car had GMPP Stage 2 upgrade, magnaflow exhaust, and K&N filter at time of original tune.

darrell june 2014.hpt

Lots of room for inprovement
    -the optimum spark tables need gone over
    -timing tables all should match, running too rich up top for e47 carry .88 through to redline not .84
    -boost dropping off up top can be fixed by adjusting the pressure rpm factor up
    -the desired boost pid tables need a lot of work
    -you're commanding 100% wgdc with a max of 95% in the next table
    -zero the IAT spark base table
    -injector timing can use a little work but should be ok for only 24psi
    -cam timing table can use some work, there are some gains here
    -I always use the WGDC to tune boost not DAL, I set it to 255 and use WGDC to bring it where i want it rather than making the wastegate solenoid go nuts at 100% duty cycle, IMO i think it wears it out faster.

******Timing is only at 14* max, for e47, im at 20-21* from 4000rpms up. I've ran up to 24.5* in that area with no knock, but this is different based on if you're road racing, drag racing, or daily driving. Obviously you don't want 24.5* up top if your road racing or daily driving lol.

Thats just the way i tune, good luck bud.
    Last edited by 08VRSS; 06-25-2014 at 07:57 AM.
    The Daily: 08 SS/TC, fully built 2.0L LDK, Wiseco pistons, K1 rods, ARP head studs, upgraded main bolts, S257sx-e, Opels, ZZP stage 2 cams, BRC 5th injector, E47, AEM E85 fuel pump, custom 3.5" intake and PCV system, custom catless downpipe, 4.05 LSD, custom KY frankenclutch, ZZP full 3" catback with res and muffler, lowered on CM springs, lots of other ZZP parts, built and tuned by BRC Tuning.

PICK TWO: CHEAP, FAST, RELIABLE

Advanced Tuner
    I don't have my computer so I can't look at the tune but I'm curious why you would zero the IAT spark table? It's used to cut timing if IATs go too high. This is a good thing to do. If your car starts running high IATs you wouldn't want to still be pushing your timing. Definitely consider using this.

^This. If IAT's are high there's something seriously wrong or you live in AZ. Either way, don't want to be running 23*° peak in AZ summer.

Another side note, I road race with 23° on 110 octane np. I use 18-20° on 100/105 octane. Not a problem as long as your exhaust impeller doesn't fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by codename Bil Doe View Post
    ^This. If IAT's are high there's something seriously wrong or you live in AZ. Either way, don't want to be running 23*° peak in AZ summer.

Another side note, I road race with 23° on 110 octane np. I use 18-20° on 100/105 octane. Not a problem as long as your exhaust impeller doesn't fall off.

LOL has this happened to you? is this why your referring to this
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Happened two months ago. Checked the intake impeller, solid as a rock and spun freely. Stripped the motor down and touched the exhaust impeller. It was no longer attached to the shaft. It decided to be free.

Advanced Tuner
    It's no problem on E47 Just don't try for any top speed hero runs. On E28 right now and 18° up top with these crazy summer temps of 105 min... Hahaha

FWIW, that table can come in quite handy and shouldn't be zeroed out.
    09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

I was more concerned with him zeroing it out. I know all about those AZ peoples. Dey be weird!

Advanced Tuner
    I was more concerned with him zeroing it out. I know all about those AZ peoples. Dey be weird!
    Haters gonna hate! :-P

Happened two months ago. Checked the intake impeller, solid as a rock and spun freely. Stripped the motor down and touched the exhaust impeller. It was no longer attached to the shaft. It decided to be free.
    was this the thread you started with the mechanical issue?
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    8" lift
    35" tires

Yeah. Turned out the exhaust impeller had broken off the shaft choking the exhaust and pressurizing the block. Mimicked a blown hose on track, but the engine rolled to a smooth stop and died because of the exhaust restriction. By fortune, I also found a spun reluctor wheel on the intake cam (10-15° off) which still ran without throwing a code and both the intake & exhaust cams mechanically advanced 3 teeth.

As a side note, I decided to redo the head gasket because I was that far along. <1 hour to remove the head, clean the surfaces, inspect pistons and valves, install new hg, and torque all the new bolts down. Another 20-30 min to retime the engine.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    These things are stupid easy to work on compared to a rotary or pushrod motor with after market heads requiring offset rockers.
    i had a cobalt 3 day complete motor overhaul turn around excluding the machine shop time. i'm sure shops that do it all the time can beat my install speed, i get stupid slow when i measure though

id like to pull a kappa power unit on a hoist to compare my times to the cobalt. i heard the dp is a pita and thankfully i haven't had to swap one yet lol
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    These things are stupid easy to work on compared to a rotary or pushrod motor with after market heads requiring offset rockers.
    i had a cobalt 3 day complete motor overhaul turn around excluding the machine shop time. i'm sure shops that do it all the time can beat my install speed, i get stupid slow when i measure though

id like to pull a kappa power unit on a hoist to compare my times to the cobalt. i heard the dp is a pita and thankfully i haven't had to swap one yet lol

i work for GM here in virginia and i have done pistons rod bearings and valve seals in 7 hours..

i prefer to work on the v8's they are cake! did pistons and lifters in a tahoe one day pays 29.6hours and i did it in 9
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    8" lift
    35" tires

I have to admit, the LNF is my favorite to work on over any LS, Vortec, or SBC. I think my mom could rebuild it, and she can't change an air filter.

I have to admit, the LNF is my favorite to work on over any LS, Vortec, or SBC. I think my mom could rebuild it, and she can't change an air filter.
    lol its a great engine minus the lack of solid after market parts. we have so little to chose fromt compared to other engines.. but it holds alot of power from factory
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    8" lift
    35" tires

Only real prob I have is with the turbo flange. Had to be unique didn't you, GM?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BTLD_LS1 View Post

darrell june 2014.hpt

I finally had a chance to look it over and it's a cluster F. There are some whacky things going on such as your PE table. You have .836 at 5320 and then back up to .844 at 6000? That's pretty rich, either way. Also, what's the reasoning behind your Prop Max table? And your MALT table, why the dip from 99.99 to 99.84 and then back to 100?

I'm local to you guys (Mesa), so feel free to shoot me a PM.

Potential Tuner
    So what ever happened to this tune im curious if you ever got a final bad ass tune id like to use your notes for my 2007 sky redline, i did a 93 octane tuen running 24lbs of boost and 3 bar mao sensors its pretty dialed in WOT AIr fuel is .83.. so now im interested in the E47 tune your running i wanna give it a go