Thread: boosted 5.3 truck feedback welcome

Tuner in Training

boosted 5.3 truck feedback welcome

So I am trying to get my truck up and running decently until I can actually work a professional and get it on a dyno. So right now just really trying to get it safe and consistant at WOT, as the tune out of boost didn't change to terribly much. I am really just interested in getting my logging setup right then start looking into values that need be addressed. This is a 3rd party tune that I built off; changed so far; maf tables, changed a few shift points, added little timing up top, PE table, 3 bar map, etc. Recently was working on getting WOT safe by adding PE once boost kicks in then once fuel trims looked in check backed off PE and added to maf table. This would probably be easier if I could figure out setting up the histograms beyond the default also. Feel free to flame the new guy, but would appreciate so general feedback. I have included two recent log files and can also provide the tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    tough crowd, would it help if I upload my tune? I made some changes on the dyno but truck is still breaking up anything past 4300.

Thanks,

- D
    Attached Files Attached Files

way too rich first of all. i would change your stoich table to 14.2 all the way across and change PE in both tables to 1.163 in all cells.

disable Cat Over Temp

put Peak Torque Table back to stock for now. it is not a limiter table, it is a reference table.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    way too rich first of all. i would change your stoich table to 14.2 all the way across and change PE in both tables to 1.163 in all cells.

disable Cat Over Temp

put Peak Torque Table back to stock for now. it is not a limiter table, it is a reference table.
    First of thanks, yes way to rich was trying to adjust maf table and slowly bring down PE, problem originally was going lean and getting knock.

done, with cat over temp, what does that do btw?

the peak tq table from what I have read will not allow the PE tables to be referenced unless 100%tps, I actually did not change that it was the guys a magnusson. Also, can I not big smokey burnouts if I change that back?

I'm just a newb so set me straight if needed. I know how to reverse engineer malware and look at network packets, this stuff is still greek to me.

cat over temp richens the mixture to keep the cats cool. if you want to turn it on after you tune thats up to you but while you are tuning it needs to be off.

Tuner in Training
    Turned off, still trying figure out what tq tables should be set too also instead of being maxed out.

read post three again. work from there.

Tuner in Training
    I was getting knock when pe was set that low.

take some timing out then. how much are you running?

Tuner in Training
    Was at 15, dropped down to 13

15 -18 are NA numbers.

DI doesn't need much.

Tuner in Training
    So I changed the tq tables and made small increments almost all the way to 2/3'rds maxed out, and only seem to neuter the power under WOT. So need to figure out a better reason to not leave those maxed out.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by thewrx View Post
    So I changed the tq tables and made small increments almost all the way to 2/3'rds maxed out, and only seem to neuter the power under WOT. So need to figure out a better reason to not leave those maxed out.
    So kept digging into this and finally think I am on the right track. The peak tq table needs to reflect the tq curve of your setup for one. I have a roots blower so peak tq is at 2600 instead of linear n/a 5.3. So I changed the table to more accurately reflect my tq curve on my dyno graph. I then made small increments and found that lowest possible value was at 4.5 times the stock values for the power I am putting out. I will now try and fine tune this and see exactly where the change between killing power and good driveability is at. Also, the max tq values in the parameters below the peak tq table were all put back to stock and left alone. So once I get this fine tuned then on to the pe and maf tables to bring that back in, but stil not sure about this 12.5 afr on boost.

The truck now shifts much better, no more neck snapping shifts, they are also much quicker, the truck seems to pull a bit a harder but that is just more of a but dyno then a scientific proof.