Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australian Ford ignition timing

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    The MBT table should be left alone unless there have been modifications that would have actually changed the MBT. Other than raising the MBT table up for higher load values, I seldom touch it.

Copying the MBT table to the borderline spark table is fine, if you are wanting to run the MBT value, which on a stock car, if you have enough octane to know run into knock, then it will make the best power.
    Hi Eric,

Is there a chance there is a multiplier table missing from my strategy still? I went over some of logs, and right of a pull the car was adding 1 extra degree of timing from what I had commanded in my BLK table, I had disabled every multiplier table I could find where it advances timing, both the main correction and multiplier table. Just out of curiousity I copied and pasted the last 3 load lines from my BLK table over to MBT, carried out a pull under same conditions, and the timing curve was as per my commanded BLK values. Am i missing something?

Advanced Tuner
    There are modifiers to the MBT table....being e85 you would be close to the modified MBT values. Check the spark source.

Advanced Tuner
    On the upper load lines the MBT still has a minimum of 5 degrees more around peak VE and about 7 degrees more uptop, not as close i would have thought might be an issue, but i guess it depends on how much a mystery table can affect the calculation, cheers for the feedback on the spark source, will see if i can borrow an xcal lol

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 45T-XR View Post
    On the upper load lines the MBT still has a minimum of 5 degrees more around peak VE and about 7 degrees more uptop, not as close i would have thought might be an issue, but i guess it depends on how much a mystery table can affect the calculation, cheers for the feedback on the spark source, will see if i can borrow an xcal lol
    Agghhh yeah no chance then!!! Don't bother!

Advanced Tuner
    Definitely a little odd.

B series loves to ref both tables almost like ls series but i found if your running closer to minimum temps it can get closer to the MBT timing points ( or combination )
    When were on the dyno we have the car well out of any range that the MBT could be referenced so the BLK does as desired but you are correct in saying the MBT can play around with "actual" timing

This is one reason why logging of what u want to see after you make a change is vital because it does not always do what you told it, and could very well be an adder or timing configuration missing !
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Quote Originally Posted by JETURBO View Post
    B series loves to ref both tables almost like ls series but i found if your running closer to minimum temps it can get closer to the MBT timing points ( or combination )
    When were on the dyno we have the car well out of any range that the MBT could be referenced so the BLK does as desired but you are correct in saying the MBT can play around with "actual" timing

This is one reason why logging of what u want to see after you make a change is vital because it does not always do what you told it, and could very well be an adder or timing configuration missing !
    So is it "safer" to lower the MBT table values?

Think about why there there first and if u know better than ford's thousand hr tune strategy vs our few hr tweaks ....

"Why don't we have both" ?

You can, but logging and making sure you account for a multitude of situations and hit the nail on all or as little compromise
    Possible, its quite amazing what you can do with what ford already put into each strategy, they actually have a brilliant ecu,control,strategy ........ More thinking why needs to happen !!
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons

Advanced Tuner
    Determining accurate timing delivery is currently impossible with VCM suite until at least "Knock Logging can be achieved" the other option is SCT and they tell me knock logging should be ignored as the calibration of the knock logging software is incorrect.

This leaves aftermarket knock detection this I assume is beter than nothing but may or may not be accurate and referencing it to load and rpm is another issue.

All this information is in the ALDL data stream and once the new scanner software becomes available if it is comparable to the GM stuff all these questions can be answered.

You use a combination of all tools available and you WILL get correct knock threshold every time !!

Go and buy an aftermarket knock tool

Go and buy a x3

Set it all up and start logging on the dyno, it becomes apparent quickly whats what, even the dyno graph will throw up hints along the way but it all starts with having correct tooling to do the job !!

Hand in pocket time if your serious about calibrating